BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Late 70's Remmy 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag

So - the Gentleman that recently gifted me a lot of fishing tackle has gifted me a late 70's production 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag (left hand). Along with about 200 rounds of ammo.

I have one "un-blooded" rifle that needs to take a deer down, but next season I will be shouldering this new rifle instead.

Plan on sighting it in with the factory ammo (Fed 162 grain) and seeing if I can work up a load that will be similar.

Probably not the rifle or load that I would prefer for whitetail, but have to honor the Elders.

If anyone has feedback on alternative loads, I would appreciate that.

Jacking some rounds into the Remmy has given me these observations versus my other two bolts (Tikka T3 30-06 and Savage 111 .308):

When jacking rounds in with the remmy, the bolt handle is shorter and is closer to the scope. With time, I'm sure that this won't be an issue - but I like the longer bolt-handles (not sure of the term) with the Tikka and Savage.

When on the stand, I prefer a slower cycling of the cartridge to the chamber. With the Tikka and Savage, the slower cycling is smooth and consistent. With the Remmy, it seems to like a faster cycling motion, which is also louder.

Beautiful tool, will have to spend some time getting used to it.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:47 PM

I have killed several deer with 7mm mag and for me the 145/150 grain was a perfect match for mule deer. Speer hot core or sierra game king. One of my favorite loads was 62gr of IMR4350 and 150gr sierra game king. Very accurate and deadly on dear. Oh, nice rifle and one of the best. Many bench rest shooters and custom rifle builders still use that action.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:41 PM

Many years ago my best friend had one of those.. It had the blued stainless steel barrel.. Does your have that??? If so, being a LH on top of that, it is a real unusual find..

As I remember the 154 to 175 grain bullet range was the most accurate/useful with the twist rates of that time.. The slower powders, 4831 and some of the selection of new slower powders should make it work well.. At the time it was the most popular and new, the sports writers thought it was the best thing since sliced bread... A bit of overkill for deer in the thicker woods, but if you ever encounter distance or large game it is a proven performer..

However... It does create a lot more noise and kick to go this performance.. I was never very comfortable with that part..

PICTURES... WE NEED PICTURES..

Enjoy..
Old 12-14-2015, 05:57 PM

I have one also, and it has been a wonderful tool, especially for long shots. I have not used it on a white tail, since we don't have them here, but for caribou, it is ideal, and I have downed a few moose with it with no problem.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:34 PM

I have an early 70s model.
It has dropped several Black Tail and a couple of Elk.
Being left handed it probable is worth more.
Wish I had a neighbor like you.
The trigger problems didn't occur until 2006 I believe.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:28 AM

Kind of strange though, seems to be finicky about cycling rounds.

Never had any issues with the other bolts that I have.

Might bring it in to a gunsmith for a once over.

Thanks for the heads up and info shared!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:02 PM

For big game, my wife shoots a semi-custom M-70 Winchester, 7mm Rem Mag with a 25 inch barrel. Her mule deer and elk load is as follows:
160 gr. Speer GS
CCI LRM primer
64.5 gr. Re-22

With the bullets seated .04Ē from the lands, her rifle kicks them out at 2920fps average, 10 feet from the muzzle, and they go into 7/8Ē, 4-shot groups at 100 yards.

In the off seasons, for just shooting tin cans, clay pigeons and the occasional rock chuck, my wife uses 140 gr. Sierra BTSPs over 47 grs. of IMR 4895. Itís a fairly mild load for a 7mm Rem Mag, although Iím sure it would kill a mule deer just fine out to 250 yards or so.But thatís not what itís for.Itís just an easy shooting load for practice.The 140 gr. bullets leave the muzzle at around 2600fps.And I suspect my wife can put 4 of them in a 2Ē group at 100 yards.Although the truth is, Iíve never actually got technical enough about her group sizes with practice loads to measure any of them.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:34 AM

Finally had a chance to bring this out to the range.

First group of 3 was about 2" low @ 100 yards, 1" left.

After a couple more rounds of three, she is centered very nicely.

I was happy to see it was so close right out of the case.

Tossed out about 10 more groups of three, very nice groupings.

The issue with the cycling isn't an issue. I pulled the bolt, gave her a good clean, and it seemed to clear the issue up.

I think I put more rounds through her than the previous owner did, and I'm very happy with the end performance.

Time to take her out a little longer on the range.

It is a bit over-powered for the white tails here, guess I will have to wait for a big one this season. Looking forward to repaying the Old Man that gifted me the rifle, with fresh venison.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 PM

You lucky duck....

It is really nice when a classic like that does what it is meant to do, and does it well..

Enjoy