BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants

Plants Plant-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:28 PM
Master Pontificator

Default potato experiment

At gardening I am a failure, so this year I am doing things slow and small, only planting a few things to see if I get success.

I am going to try growing potatoes in square plastic storage boxes, I drilled holes in the bottom and sides and filled with potting soil and planted sprouted potatoes in them. When the weather warms I will set these boxes in the garden so they get full sun.

My cousin gave me an old wash tub that she used to plant in so I want to try two sweet potatoes that are sprouting. Can't wait to see if this works.
Thanks
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Best of luck with your experiment...

Be sure to post a follow up, and pictures as things progress..

My best gardening plan is to write down the schedule of the farmers markets in the area..

Good luck..
Old 03-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Tomatoes do well grown in containers. They keep on producing and a few pots give you a significant yield for salads & sandwiches.

Potatoes can be grown in deeper containers-- like barrels. You gotta keep adding soil as they grow to improve yield. But that's the problem-- the yield from just 2 or 3 plants only gives you a relatively small yield and not really worth it except as a confidence builder.

Maybe try your hand at hydroponics for lettuce? Pretty easy and doesn't take up much space.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Master Pontificator

We had lots of concrete blocks left over from different projects so we used them to build a raised garden bed and it will get planted with tomatoes and bell peppers after all this flooding rain moves out. The potatoes in the plastic storage boxes are starting to pop up now so in a week or so will add some more garden soil to the boxes.

I have a sweet potato that is sprouting now, may plant it in one of the large tubs and see how that works out.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 02:37 PM
Master Pontificator

Back in March when I planted potaotes in plastic boxes I didn't know they would grow or not, they did grow and produced about twenty pounds of nice red potaotes. I am hoping the tomatoes I planted in a raised garden bed do as well as the potatoes did, but rain and storms have been so bad here, everything is saturated.

It feels really nice and reasurring to be able to grow some food for my family and know it can be done on a small scale.
Thanks