BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 05-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Default Fire Proofing your Homestead

After watching the news of the fire in Canada it occured to me that fire proofing is an important feature in building you homestead. I realize that no building is 100% fire proof BUT at leased you could build in say a two hour rating (or one hour) on the walls, windows and doors.
After 30 years of building and being familar with the UL fire rating assemblies and penetrations I think it would be good to review some wall assemblies and what the UL rating would be.
My first choice would be an 8" concrete block construction with filled cells. This is a 4 hr. rating. This is good with exception that the fire would blow in the windows and doors not to mention the roof.
On the windows I would put shutters with fusable links. The shutters would be made of Hardie board on spring loaded hinges. Same for doors. If done right this should give your at least one hour. I would not use metal for the shutters. I have seen what heat exposure does to metal over time. It deforms.
On the roof most shingles have a class c rating. You can up grade to a Class A rating if you spend more money for the shingles. Also an underlayment on top of the pywood needs to be rated (I have used Hardie board). One detail that is not mentioned is the shape of the roof. Simple lines that do not trap debris is best. Keep your roof clean.
Soffits need to be rated for at least one hour. I use a subfascia with 5/8" type x with Hardie board and no vent at the soffit.
Very few homes are built with these details but if you want to give your homestead a second chance at surviving a fire these details are important.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Others have planed to survive such devastation...... and have !

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mans-concre...ry?id=33286398

http://www.kxly.com/news/spokane-new...lames/34866440

I have some "fire resistant" paint but I have never tested it.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:09 AM

I live in a 100+ year old house which is of double-board construction. The wall boards run vertically from foundation to roof.

The best (only) plan we have is to get out. The fire departments's best response time to us is 20 minutes - it will be ashes by then.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Coaltrain try this product: http://noburn.com/products/fire-retardant-coatings
Old 05-10-2016, 02:06 AM

Default Fire article

I'm pretty sure BWH had an article on this several years back.

I'm far enough west of that fire in Fort McMurray that I'm not getting any of the smoke. It seems to be heading easterly.

What IS affecting me from the fire is my internet - apparently the satellite repeater station is located right in Fort McMurray. Internet has been wonky since the fire started. My neighbours that are using the same service are having the same troubles.

I went with steel roof on all the buildings and house - hopefully as a fire preventative. Have a big pine tree at the front of the house that s coming down this summer - it could break off in the wind and clunk the house - or be a torch in a forest fire situation. Lots of firewood in the tree though.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:11 PM

Remember to reduce your fire fuels on your property. If you do nothing to make your property safe, your home will almost always be at risk because of it's surroundings. Give your property the chance to survive on it's own.

You can research the links below to get information on steps to reduce your fire loading on your property etc. (Farms & Ranches etc)
http://www.firewise.org/wildfire-preparedness.aspx
http://www.wildlandfirersg.org/
Old 06-18-2016, 05:27 PM

I care take a cabin and just spent a weekend clearing brush around it. The big fires around here last year came to within a few miles and honestly if its going to go, its going to go, but it does look a whole lot better; not so closed in and the place is pretty remote so its not like youre trying to hide the view of a neighbors place or anything.

What it started as

What it ended up looking like

That was me and a buddy for maybe two hours to do a 50 or 60 yard long swath about 20 or 30 yards deep. It needs more, and again, if a fire rolls through, its probably toast all the same, but dang if it isnt nicer to look at and sneak through, not too mention if the deer enjoy it a bit more now too.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:24 AM
Master Pontificator

Good job it looks great.