BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Wild Game and Fish Recipes.....

There has been some talk lately about the Asian Carp spreading in the Great Lakes now as well as other water ways.......
Some have said they are good to eat......
I think we need a dedicated place for "wild game" recipes.....
It would be nice if it was "stickied"....... (hint, hint, nudge, nudge)

I'll start.....
Years ago I was fishing on a lake in the Black Hills of S. Dakota. An old guy was catching small 6" or so stocked trout. Talked to him and he asked if he could have and fish I caught..... He was going to can them.....

Clean fish, stand in pint jar like sardines in a can.
2 table spoons ketchup
10 drops hot sauce, like Tobasco
salt, black pepper
fill jar with peanut oil.

Pressure can. Let set in a dry cool place 30 days or so.
He said they come out of the jar like sardines, eat fish, bones and all.

I don't know if this is an accepted canning method or not.
This is what he said he did...... I never tried it.....
If it is an acceptable way to process, I'm sure it would taste good....

Keep safe
Enjoy
Old 04-05-2013, 12:20 AM

Grandma used to can carp and honestly you couldn't tell it from canned salmon.
The bones just fall apart and are good for you.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:25 AM

Extremely boney fish them asian carp. In my opinion too boney. Take me an hour to debone them to 2 hours depending on size. They have a mild taste. I can say they taste kind of like cod or tilapia maybe with a bit of a scallop like texture in there.

I tend make a burger out of them.....I take the boney fillets boil them in water heavily spiced with old bay until they fall apart then pick out the bones, mix it with egg, hot sauce, onions, garlic, and mushrooms. I then quickly brown them and toss them on a bed of lettuce, mayo, and bbq sauce on a bun.

I've also baked them with sweet potatoes, fennel, onions,garlic, tomatoes, and bread crumbs alterating layers in a cassarole dish sprinkling each layer with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil before topping with bread crumbs and more olive oil then baking until fully cooked...I must admit not my favorite fish for this. I like it best with fresh caught monkfish, cod, pollack, wolf fish, or lemon fish.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfutebOJglA

Asian carp
Old 04-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Since it's Spring......

Wild brook trout, head on, pan fried in butter, wild leeks in body cavity, and a dash of pepper.

Cook until you can pull out the fins, then gently separate halves by grasping the head and using fingers and a fork. Flip over and pull head and entire backbone/ribs from 2nd side of flesh. You now have two boneless fillets. Remove the two muscles from the cheeks on either side of the head, the eyeballs too if you prefer.

Last edited by Mad_Professor; 04-05-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:09 PM

I got a great recipe.

Eggplant rollatini with spring veggies

Take and mandoline slice your eggplants (chinese eggplants are in season seemingly all year round, but the italian ones are nice), Once they are in thin strips, set aside.

Take mushrooms, fennel, garlic, broccoli, firm white fish (skate is nice) and spinach, mince and sautee then mix then add feta, bread crumbs, cracker crumbs until mixed into a paste with olive oil.

Take make egg bath and whole what flour. Dredge in flour then egg pan fry in olive oil till light brown. Take out let cool. spoon filling and roll bake at 350 until cooked golden brown and fish is cooked.

Top with your favorite tomato sauce an enjoy.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM

Weapons decal posted this recipe figured I'd share it.

CHORIZO STUFFED LOIN OF WILD BOAR
Brought to you by: www.weaponsdecals.com
Serves 6 to 8
2 to 2.5 Pound Loin Roast of Wild Boar
1 Pound Premium Beef or Pork Chorizo
¼ Cup Chopped Onion
¼ Cup Chopped Celery
¼ Cup Sliced Carrots
½ Cup Dried Figs (if not available any dried fruit may be used)
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
8 Cups Cornbread Crumbled
1 Cube Unsalted Butter
½ cup Chicken Broth
4 Tablespoons Granulated Garlic
2 Tablespoons Granulated Onion
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon Old Bay Spice Blend
1 Tablespoon Smoky Paprika
½ Tablespoon Kosher Salt
½ Tablespoon Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
2 Feet of String or Cooking Twine
Prepare the Stuffing:
In a large sauté pan cook the chorizo for about 5 to 7 minutes, break it up into large chunks. Drain excess liquid and place in a large bowl and set aside. To the same pan, ad the extra virgin olive oil and sauté the onion, celery and carrots for approximately 7 minutes or until the onion is translucent, roughly chop the dried figs and ad to the sauté pan, continue to cook for approximately one minute. Remove from heat and ad to the chorizo. Stir in the crumbled cornbread. Melt the butter in the microwave until it is liquid, approximately 1 to 1.5 minutes. Ad to the mixture along with the chicken broth. Mix all ingredients well to combine. Set aside.
To stuff the wild boar loin. Make a cut the entire length of the loin and continue to cut making a cut deep enough so that the loin can be opened. The technique is also referred to as "butter flying". Be careful not to slice too far as you will defeat the purpose of stuffing the loin. Use approximately 2 to 3 cups of the stuffing mix placing it into the center of the butter flied boar loin. Fold the loin over as to enclose the stuffing. Using the string tie the loin in 4 sections, starting at one end and finishing at the opposite end. This will ensure that the stuffing will remain in the boar loin during the cooking process.
Place the stuffed wild boar loin into a baking pan or shallow baking dish, top with the ¼ cup of Spice Blend (do this by combining the spices in the ingredient list to create a nice rub) ((rubbing into the exterior of the meat)) and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the internal temperature of the loin reaches 140 to 150 degrees. (Less done is up to you and your taste preference, this temperature will be medium to medium well) Remove from oven and let rest in the baking dish for 5 minutes. Remove the string and slice into nice 11/2 inch to 2 inch slices and serve.
Place remaining stuffing in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Venison Tenderloin Bites

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups italian dry bread crumbs
1/4 chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 Lb. venison tenderloin, vut into 1 inch cubes
salt and pepper -to taste
  1. Preheat the oven's broiler and set the oven rack at about 6 inches from the heat source. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Warm the olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan over low heat for 5 minutes to infuse the flavor of the garlic into the olive oil. Place the bread crumbs into a mixing bowl, and pour the oil mixture overtop. Stir the parsley, and Parmesan cheese into the bread crumb mixture until evenly blended. Press the venison cubes into the bread crumb mixture to coat, and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure the venison pieces are not touching.
  3. Broil in the oven until the bread crumbs are golden, and the venison has turned from red to pink in the center, or to your desired degree of doneness, about 6 minutes. Turn the cubes occasionally as they cook.
  4. Divide the arugula onto 4 dinner plates, and top with the broiled venison. Squeeze a quarter of a lemon over each plate to serve.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:10 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Skunk

Directly from the Outdoor Life's, Complete Fish & Game Cookbook, by A. D. Livingston, page 364.

All within a black border, and I quote the verbiage directly from the book:

Skunk
When I was just a sprout, I recall a feller who worked for Uncle Ott saying that of all wild meat, he figgered skunk had the sweetest taste. Now I was willing to take his word for it, without trying to prove it. But once you get past the idea of eating skunk, I reckon they ain't no reason why skunk meat shouldn't be as good as any. Ray Parker, from St. Louis, sent us a recipe that look good enough to try, if any of you folks get the notion:

"Skin, clean and remove the scent glands. Put is strong solution of salt water and parboil for fifteen minutes. Drain off this water, add fresh water, season and steam slowly for about 1 hour or until tender."

And if you do try it, let me know how it turns out!

- Cy Littlebee's
Guide to Cooking Game & Fish

-----
I would like to add my request for a follow up post from anyone who uses this recipe or that has ever eaten skunk by or from any recipe. Inquiring minds and all that entails!

Regardless of any reviews regarding this recipe, I seriously doubt this recipe will ever be used at this homestead.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:39 AM

Default Cooking Wild Game, 1915 ebook

The Librum recently posted the free exe-wrapped-pdf of Cooking Wild Game, 1915. The exe will work on windows systems. For others you can buy a pdf, at $5.

Interesting read!

Index is at: http://www.librum.us/atoci/cwg cooki... game 1915.txt

ebook is at: http://www.librum.us/stacks1/cwg coo... game 1915.exe

Sarah

Last edited by Sarah; 10-26-2015 at 01:47 AM. Reason: broken link parsing.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:32 AM

Default Dutch oven Irish Beef Stew

Heres one I found on a web site. Easy to fix and delicious too. They slso have other recipes that look good, especially if you are into dutch ovens.

http://www.coppercountryoutdoors.com...beef-stew.html

Backyard Dutch Oven Irish Beef Stew. Easy recipe to learn Dutch Oven cooking techniques. Practice this at home and you will be ready to cook this at your next camping trip.

Ingredients:
3 strips peppered bacon
2 1/2 lb. beef chuck
2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 bottle of dark beer (12 oz)
1 tablespoon of thyme
3 carrots
2 celery stalks
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 quart chicken stock
Salt to taste
1 package of instant garlic mashed potatoes
Cut bacon into small pieces and cook in iron pan
Remove bacon and use renderings to brown bee cubes
Remove beef and brown onions
Deglaze pan with beer and add all ingredients’ to dutch oven
Simmer stew uncovered, for about 2 hours until beef is tender.
Serve over mashed potatoes
Old 06-22-2016, 12:56 AM

That wild boar hindquarter tasted rather too pork-ish for my tastes. I am apparently too used to grain fed young pork as the wild pork just tasted strong to me.

I got good advice, though: I marinated it in soy sauce, candied ginger, and orange peel and it was actually very good that way!