BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

thanks for that information, not that it can change anything now. Don't plan on another new refrig. this lifetime (unless it's propane)

JVC
Old 12-17-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
We get a rebate of $50 for a new refrigerator and $25 for a new freezer from our electric company - plus they will pick up the old unit for free.
Here the PoCo will pay you $40 for the old frig/freezer. I don't like the program as I'd rather repurpose them. I the last year alone I've built a solar dehydrator out of an upright freezer and a solar heated stock tank out of a chest freezer. Been looking for a nonworking chest freezer to store my battery bank. I also have a few friends that want me to build the dehydrators. Hard to come up with cheap/free ones with the PoCo paying people for them.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:22 PM

Default meter

I also have a Kill-a-watt meter. I actually use it all the time. It's on my Inverter (I have an off grid solar array, which runs one circuit in the house). This way I keep track of how many KWHs of electricity I am producing every month.

But that is the handiest little meter. The New "energy Star" appliances really cut the amount of power, compared to some of the older models. However, the frost free versions of refrigerators/freezers use a LOT more power than the older frost models. We have an old Fridge built in 1959 - still runs great. Top freezer, but you have to defrost it. It takes less power than our "modern" frost free fridge!

Some places, the public Library will check out a Kill-a-watt meter, so you can check out how much your appliances use, and then return it in a couple of weeks. Just remember it's the total amount of power consumed in a day which is important. ie. I microwave will suck between 1200 and 1600 watts of power. But be honest - how long to do you run it every day - 5-10 mins? But some refrigerators, run almost constantly. And if they take 100 watts (which is VERY low), that's still 2.4 KWH/day.

Also watch for "vampires". (Those little black transformers, which are plugged in all the time). Although they only take 3-8 Watts, they run 24/7. Many houses have at least 10 of those. They can really add up.

Bear
Old 03-24-2016, 12:03 PM

I like the idea of the Kill-o-watt meter but never bought one. I don't like the fact that I can't check things like ceiling fans or my water heater or dryer.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:52 PM

Default Electronic usage

All electrical appliances here. The cost to operate from low to high seems to be around 90$ to 150$. Summer and winter.p art of the bill is surge protection @6.00 outside light 12$ then sales tax and to round up. Usually tots out to around 25-30$ per month of non used electric used.
We'd like a gas stove
,Hate the Kenmore bottom freezer frig.run a old chest freezer in the garage. If u fill up gallon jugs with water and put those in your freezer it helps.
Also make sure you keep the coils clean so air circulates this is what helps cool and condenses the refrigerant.

Last edited by blackpowderbill; 06-05-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:16 AM

I really like the idea of a bottom freezer refrigerator. I just can't bend over to look and reach things in our regular refrigerator anymore - I hate it! So even though it may be less efficient I will be buying one once our 20 year old frige goes out.

I suppose I may break even with electricity usage anyway being the newer models should be more efficient than my old one.

If I had the extra money I might change it out now (did I say I can't stand stooping over to get in the fridge?) but I just refuse to replace something that is working fine.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:14 PM

My last power bill was less than $30... I use budget bill and that was the balance before the next budget amount calculation.. I was paying $101 budget, now will be $95 budget a month..

Actually taxes and other charges usually amount of about half the price of the power I use.. About 1/3 the bill equals taxes and fees.. That bites..

Just got a propane fill before the budget bill ran out on that at the end of May.. Full fill for 79 cents a gallon.. It can sit all summer and not spoil at that savings..

No idea what the next budget bill max price will be.. But this last fill price was 20 some cents lower than the last budget max..

I'm good with that..
Good luck..
Old 06-10-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
Just got a propane fill before the budget bill ran out on that at the end of May.. Full fill for 79 cents a gallon.. It can sit all summer and not spoil at that savings..

No idea what the next budget bill max price will be.. But this last fill price was 20 some cents lower than the last budget max..

I'm good with that..
Good luck..
I guess I should have installed a propane tank when I had my new furnace installed a couple years ago........installed an oil fired since the system is already in place.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:02 AM

Coaltrain, we have a refrigerator with a bottom freezer for the same reason. DH has trouble bending over a lot because of his back brace. We love it. We got it at a Sears scratch & dent place for $800 instead of $1600. No ice maker. Our spring water is so cold we never need ice.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildturnip View Post
Coaltrain, we have a refrigerator with a bottom freezer for the same reason. DH has trouble bending over a lot because of his back brace. We love it. We got it at a Sears scratch & dent place for $800 instead of $1600. No ice maker. Our spring water is so cold we never need ice.
That's a good deal. I am passively watching for a deal myself but I just hate replacing something (our regular refrigerator) when it is working fine.

And spring water! We also have spring water piped into the house. We use Mrs. C's empty pop bottles, fill 6-8 with water, and keep them in the frige - works great! I even take our own water when we go do our grocery run and have to eat lunch out.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:01 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the info about freezer bottom models. Our fridge, which came with the house when we bought it back in '94 is still running, but the seals are no longer closing tightly. I've wanted a bottom freezer model for years now. We had one back when I was a kid, and it was perfect for our family.

With my hubby and sons all over 6'4", that model would really work best for us. No ice maker, no water, no stainless (I hate that stuff). Just plain and simple. We also hate replacing something that is still working, but we also hate being in the position of having to rush to replace something. Like when the washing machine breaks down. We do multiple loads daily, so we are really hard on a washer. Of course, the quality isn't there like it used to be either. And sometimes, buying the parts and fixing it ourselves isn't cost effective when I can buy a new machine for $20 more than the parts cost!

We will keep looking, but I don't think we are quite ready to buy....yet! And when we do, the scratch and dent will do just fine!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:59 AM

After more time to think about this I think I may have changed my mind. Since my RA obviously isn't going to improve now that I've had it for 5+ years I now tend to look at what works better for me. A bottom freezer refrigerator will be our replacement.

As far as the energy usage our electricity is relatively cheap. Plus the fact that a new refrigerator is likely to be more efficient the energy usage should be a wash.

I kind of agree with you about replacement - around here there is no "free delivery" or delivery of any kind unless you want to pay. To replace an appliance (like we did with our kitchen range a year ago) it is a 3 hour round trip then hoping the Lowe's or Sears in that small city has what we want in stock.

Another incentive is our power company will give us a $50 rebate and also pick up the old appliance for free - but it has to be in working condition and the new unit has to be "energy star" certified. When I am looking on-line it seems that these stores carry very little with that rating.

So maybe replacing it before hand is a good idea.

I've seen other folks using Sears Outlet for appliances. Looks like some good deals and I also don't care about any dents or scratches. But the nearest one is a 6 hour round trip.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 PM
Master Pontificator

We have had pretty good luck buying from the Sears catalog store just a few miles from here. We always buy a floor model and just throw it on the pick up. No worries about delivery or having to wait for them to get one in.

I've found that in the last few years I too, have begun making decisions based on my physical issues. Raised beds are best for me know, and a freezer on the bottom model would definitely save my knees and back some strain. That's my main reason for wanting a bottom freezer model. The one we had growing up was great because the freezer wasn't a drawer, like the models I see today. It was a regular freezer with shelves, just like in the fridge, except on the bottom. There was tons of room and it was super easy to clean.

I don't know if they make them like that anymore, but that is what I want if I can find it! And maybe that would make it easier for my hubby and sons to find what they are looking for in the fridge. The savings in the electric bill from the amount of time they stand there with the door open searching for things they can't see because they are so tall, should save us some money, too!
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
We have had pretty good luck buying from the Sears catalog store just a few miles from here. We always buy a floor model and just throw it on the pick up. No worries about delivery or having to wait for them to get one in.
There is a very small Sears store in the town we do our grocery shopping. I've been in there a couple times - the owner is very nice and helpful. I've already decided that I will buy my appliances from him - just have to catch them on sale.

Thanks for the idea of buying a floor model - for such a small store he has a lot of appliances on the floor - probably 1/2 the store. I have no problem with buying last years model or a display unit.