BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM

Default Learning the Hard Way

Years ago when I first started raising chickens I was a complete dummy. There was not much information out their about raising chickens on a small scale. I learned from each and every mistake and disaster that occurred. I soon learned that I could be more successfuly when I focused on providing my birds with nutritional supplements. A friend told me about an all natural nutritional supplement called Avia Charge-2000 and this is when my program dramatically changed. My chickens were now healthier and performed better. I wanted to let you know so that you don't have to make the same mistakes that I did.
Old 06-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Master Pontificator

Experience is a great teacher, but her charges for tuition are often excessive!
Old 06-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Fools learn from their mistakes. Wisemen learn from the mistakes of fools.

When I first got chickens, I'd spend a half hour each evening chasing them around to catch them to put in their coop. I eventually came to realize that they go in by themselves at dusk each nite.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:32 PM

now that took guts to admit to that doc.

JVC
Old 06-20-2016, 06:27 AM

Default is this spam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith2006 View Post
Years ago when I first started raising chickens I was a complete dummy. There was not much information out their about raising chickens on a small scale. I learned from each and every mistake and disaster that occurred. I soon learned that I could be more successfuly when I focused on providing my birds with nutritional supplements. A friend told me about an all natural nutritional supplement called Avia Charge-2000 and this is when my program dramatically changed. My chickens were now healthier and performed better. I wanted to let you know so that you don't have to make the same mistakes that I did.
From another board:

I have been using Avia Charge-2006 and Immuno Charge with great success. When I went to reorder from Murray McMurray, I found that they no longer carried these products. I did some checking and found that the owner has his own website now and is no longer wholesaling. What a relief! I know many other pigeon owners were worried about finding these products. These products can be found on

It makes me curious that you might have a commercial interest in this product. Your thoughts?

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
now that took guts to admit to that doc.

JVC
Heck, I've done other things even dumber than that.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Master Pontificator

I agree, this does look like spam, new user with only one post, advertising a specific product and a nutritional supplement for chickens. this certainly seems like something I would make a sandwich with.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Master Pontificator

Doc, I been having similar trouble with 4 of my retired commercial hens, they are dumb even by chicken standards. if I don't put them in the coop they will stay wandering in the yard all night, lost chickens already when raccoons or owls got them while they wandered all night and I couldn't get them first.

most of my birds will go inside at dusk, these seem to have no instinct or sense at all. retired commercial battery hens haven't relearned all the stuff a chicken needs to know to be a chicken yet.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:23 PM

Default Didn't realize it sounded like paid advertising

I am new to this forum, so yes I have had only one post. I was telling others my experience with these products because I was no longer able to purchase them from Murray McMurray or Strombergs. I assumed others were having the same problem I was. I finally called Murray McMurray and asked how to reach Innovators LLC, the company that produced these products. Simply trying to help others like me.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Those poor, retired commercial hens don't have a clue about how to be chickens!

Hopefully they'll learn before something eats them.

Maybe what brains chickens usually have, have been bred out of them?
Old 06-24-2016, 12:27 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't think its a been bred out of them, the farm I got them from had 1000s of hens (road island red) in a large barn, they covered the floor and had a little 10x10 fenced yard off the barn so they were legally classed as "free range" but mostly they spent their whole lives sitting on the floor of a barn all day and night. the farm replaces their entire flock every year, as soon as they are past egg laying peak production, after that they don't want them and were selling them for next to nothing (mostly as cheap butcher meat birds). I picked up a bunch of them because they were cheap. the conditions they were under required peak clipping, they also had no muscles in their wings and couldn't really walk far from lack of exercise. I think their lack of roosting was from lack of muscle and they couldn't fly up to the perches. most of them have since figured it out. they also spent all day and night on the floor of the barn, so had lost the instinct to hide at night. most of my birds have also figured that out by now, if not to go in the coop via instinct they at least know I won't stop chasing them with a flashlight until they get in the coop so they go in just to avoid me.

I set up my flock cheaply, mostly by taking in the culls from other farms. sure I don't get as many eggs, but I also didn't spend much to set up the flock.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Master Pontificator

welcome to the forum, always good to have more people to discuss ideas with
Old 06-25-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith2006 View Post
I am new to this forum, so yes I have had only one post. I was telling others my experience with these products because I was no longer able to purchase them from Murray McMurray or Strombergs. I assumed others were having the same problem I was. I finally called Murray McMurray and asked how to reach Innovators LLC, the company that produced these products. Simply trying to help others like me.
-gotta admit your first post did sound like an advert, but since you didn't include a web link, I figgered it was just a nice tip.

My hens are free range and I throw 'em a fist full of oil seeds &/or oats every day as a supplement. They each give me 2 eggs every 3 days on average-- can't do much better than that.