BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Power outage in Vegas summer

I am new to canning and LOVE IT but someone asked me what if you loose power during the summer 110+ for a few days does that reduce my shelf life if so by how much or would it be ruined.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:20 PM
Master Pontificator

welcome to the forum

the canning process both sterilizes the jar contents and creates a vaccume seal to prevent future contaminaton, as long as the jars stay sealed they should remain safe. the only problem you may have is food going bland/loosing flavor, and maybe some vitamin loss
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM

Thank you so much. Hopefully we never loose power cause we would die before the food would. Haha. But so far I have canned beef stew, chicken, hot dogs, Italian sausage and peppers, chili and 4 different kinds of jam. I'm having so much fun but my husband hates the pressure canner makes too much noise with the weight he has to blast his TV.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:54 PM
Master Pontificator

Have you considered an outdoor canning setup? prepare the jars inside but run the canner outside? I mostly can outside because of the noise and my cabin is small so I don't like the steam inside, I use a 2 burner propane stove on the porch, I hook it to a 20 LB grill type tank with a hose adaptor and run the stove for most of the year canning on a single tank. I would also suggest setting up an outdoor kitchen if you could, set up a used kitchen stove under a shelter and run the canner there.

when I am canning I try to make it an all day project, preparing stuff to can while something else is being run through the canner, by the time the canner is ready to empty I try to have it timed so I can put something in again right away. when I get a seasonal surplus I try to put up as much as I can and might be running the canner all day for days (apple, bean, corn, turnips, cabbage, pumpkins, venison, etc, whatever I can get free or cheap in large amounts, then can different recipes based on a core ingredient)
Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 AM

I looked into the 2 burner camp stoves since we have several propane tanks but I wasn't sure which one would work. I have 2 65lbs pit bulls and when they run they will mow you down accidentally. I love my babies and no need for an accident.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:29 AM
Master Pontificator

yeah that would prevent camp stoves from being an option lol