BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Well/Spring WaterPurification

I have been thinking of getting a filter for my drinking water that I get from Spring (underground) and deep well water (combined when low flo). There are Coal mines (TWO) underneath me both at different depths. My well is 180+ Feet. I don't mind shower waste disposal but for drinking ( and I need drink more water) and cooking I'd like purer water. Do any of you have suggetions for home use ( just me now) ? Something simple and affordable. Maybe even at the Kitchen Faucet.

Thanks for your help. Have a Great Fourth !
Old 07-04-2016, 02:25 AM

WOW, I can not believe that NOBODY has suggestions to a filter for springs and wells. I see most of what is in the stores for clearing up city water, lead, chlorine etc ...does nobody have Sulphur, and other non man introduced stuff in their WATER?
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Water treatment is very specific to each water source. You can't just buy a filter without knowing what properties of your water you need/want to eliminate.

The only way to do it properly is to have your water tested and take it from there. The way to do this is to contact a local water treatment company - they will usually sample and test your water for free.

Once you have the test results they will go over them with you and of course make suggestions. You can research your results yourself also.

Be prepared for sticker shock. Water treatment systems can be quite expensive plus need materials added like water softener salt and chlorine.

If you are concerned with the safety of your water maybe try your local county extension office:

http://extension.psu.edu/counties

Here is the Penn State page about what you are talking about:

http://agsci.psu.edu/aasl/water-test...-water-testing

Exactly because of your concerns with mines - and also now the concerns with the fracking process in the state, your extension office would probably be the best place to start. There may be programs in place for certain counties where the testing would be free to you.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Some of us work weekends and can't get on every day.

Coaltrain is right , the best place to start is knowing what is in your water.

Targeting the known substances is more efficient than buying filters that do nothing to help.

A carbon filter can be used to remove the sulfur smell, but if you have high levels of iron or other minerals that will quickly clog up a carbon filter so a pre-filter is needed.

You can make filters or buy a system.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J2DGTD8...I1Y6TQD04OGZ9H

You'll need to show what is your supply and demand. How much water are you using and how much can you get from your well.
Old 07-04-2016, 02:48 PM

Been drinking and using this water since we moved in (1980) but I can not stand the Iron when I make ice and get down to just munching on a cube....L.O.L.....More a worry for taste than anything else. Camp spring mtn feed water is so much better but 100++ miles away

Last edited by stickbowhntr; 07-04-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:51 PM

Smile

Here's a web site for test kits: watersafetestkits.com. Good luck!
Old 07-04-2016, 07:09 PM

Manganese Dioxide
Manganese dioxide is a compound that occurs naturally as the mineral pyrolusite and it is used in water filtration systems to remove hydrogen sulfide by oxidizing and converting the gas to tiny particles of sulfur that can then be trapped inside the filter. This high-purity media is also highly effective at oxidizing iron, precipitating it out of the water for removal, which is why many hydrogen sulfide removal systems are also sold and marketed as iron water filters.