BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Books/Poetry/Member Fiction

Books/Poetry/Member Fiction Discuss books or poems you've read or post poems or fiction you've written.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:25 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default That is not a Doorbell

That is Not a Doorbell, Oct 1994
I was assigned to US Embassy Nairobi Kenya to the Security Engineer Office as BUC in charge. I was relieving another BUC. We were in a temporary house about 2 miles away out in town waiting on him to transfer, then we would be moved into his house. We were invited for dinner and we walked down the road. Our family got a lot of looks as we walked, my wife and kids had blonde hair. This was not something that was seen a lot of in the suburbs of Nairobi light skinned blond haired people walking down the street.

We arrived at the 4- house compound a little early and the guard let us in. I walked up to the house that my fellow BUC lived in. I saw he was not home but thought his family might be home. I walked up to the wooden door and saw a door bell button. I pressed the button and was immediately deafened by a blood curdling 125 decibel alarm. OOPS that was not the doorbell. That was the panic alarm. I had no idea and was not briefed on this button when we arrived. I found out later our Stand alone temp house had one as well that I had not noticed.

What I also did not know is that when pressed it sent a signal to the local guard force who would respond in force in less than 5 minutes (quicker than any police response I have seen in the states). The guard force rolled up to the gate, the guard let them in and before it came to a stop 8 of the biggest Kenyans I had ever seen came piling out of the back of a covered Toyota pickup truck(not sure how they all fit in there but they did) and one jumped out of the passenger seat. I was not used to a right hand drive vehicle and it was still skidding to a stop and I thought the driver had bailed out of the truck while it was still moving. They all had big clubs (local guard force were not allowed firearms by the Kenyan government) and start fanning out around the building and compound looking for the intruders that resulted in a panic alarm. We did not move as they did their business as it did not take long for us to figure out what I had done. To interfere would have resulted in finding out what the clubs were for.

A few minutes later my sponsor the BUC rolled up and jumped out looking for his Somalian refugee gardener he had hired. Kenyans are very tribal and even more so with people who are from another country. He heard the report on the Embassy radio and was worried they would beat him to death. Luckily he had walked down to the store and was not in the compound at that time. We got it all straighten out and my sponsor radioed to the Embassy what the newbie had done. We enjoyed our dinner and returned to our temp home where I located where that button was at so I would know where it was if I needed it and also know where it was so I would not press it by accident. I ensured all arriving new Seabees and visitors knew what all houses have and why you do not push it just because it looks like a doorbell.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:09 AM

Thanks for sharing, the part about the "driver" jumping out is a pretty good scene!

Were you ever stationed in any Embassies in the PAC area? Just curious, I have a Cousin that has worked in various locations over the past 30-40 years or so.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
Thanks for sharing, the part about the "driver" jumping out is a pretty good scene!

Were you ever stationed in any Embassies in the PAC area? Just curious, I have a Cousin that has worked in various locations over the past 30-40 years or so.
No I had friends assigned in those places. I took care of 26 countries in the sub-
Sahara region.
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Oohrah Chief, great story. Leave it to a BU . I loved my time in the Bees but didn't get any of those kind of cool duty stations.

Unfortunately I got the boot during Billy Bob's down sizing in '95 due to being 1% over those damn body fat standards. Think they put 20 some of us out of 7 on the same day. I was a 4.0 Bee other than that 1% being an auto knock down to 3.0 which also kept me from getting my crow. So 4 1/2 and out as an EACN.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGuy View Post
Oohrah Chief, great story. Leave it to a BU . I loved my time in the Bees but didn't get any of those kind of cool duty stations.

Unfortunately I got the boot during Billy Bob's down sizing in '95 due to being 1% over those damn body fat standards. Think they put 20 some of us out of 7 on the same day. I was a 4.0 Bee other than that 1% being an auto knock down to 3.0 which also kept me from getting my crow. So 4 1/2 and out as an EACN.
WE had one EACS assigned to State Dept.
Bet we know one or two from our NMCB 7 days. I was there from 91-94. EA's I would remember is John Lee and Will Wallace.
Mike Cericola and I think Dale Ritchie
Sucked that whole body fat standards never thought they were accurate as the charts always showed me as having no body fat.

Last edited by Bones; 07-30-2016 at 12:47 AM.