BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Default RENT FREE / SWEAT RENT - Need Farmer / Caretaker

I have a farm in Middle Tennessee that needs a farmer / caretaker.

See your September copy of BHM and look in the classifieds.

What we have is an opportunity for you to live on a farm for three years for self sufficiency and / or to sell the fruits of your labors. This is RENT FREE - SWEAT RENT. You restore the farmhouse and build fences, etc. and pay no rent. I buy the materials. I buy the seeds and you plant and farm, I buy the livestock, etc. - I take a small portion of your NET profit OF WHAT YOU SELL - not eat, something like 35% of you NET profit.

There is all the equipment (mostly) that you need, I will buy the other stuff needed. The house is habitable. The barn is usable. No fences. Pond needs work. You pay water and power, I pay phone / internet.

This is a good deal. My current caretaker decided farming wasn't for him and drug up. This time we'll do a fair and equitable contract. Apparently handshake deals are easily broken by some.

You can farm, or learn to farm, and live essentially for free. Terms are somewhat negotiable.

PM me and be patient, I work a lot and don't get to answer email all that often. The best way you can contact us at bratcherfamilyfarm or restlesspilgrims, both at gmail.com.

JKB

Last edited by Bravo2uniform; 08-24-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Default Wow!

No one wants to take this deal? Is it a bad deal or something? Can anyone offer feedback?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Master Pontificator

Its probably bad timing and wrong place to advertise on the forum. I log in once a day roughly and don't see much going on in the last 3 months, frequently no new posts. everyone is just kinda busy. additionally most of the people on here already have land of their own and established themselves where they are, for just about all of them they would have to uproot and walk away from their own farms to take the offer. your best bet is to find someone young who doesn't have land yet and needs experience, some might uproot from where they are, but most likely you should be trying to find someone in 400 miles.

interesting idea but this is probably not the best place to be advertising
Old 08-26-2016, 03:10 PM

Default Excellent feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
Its probably bad timing and wrong place to advertise on the forum. I log in once a day roughly and don't see much going on in the last 3 months, frequently no new posts. everyone is just kinda busy. additionally most of the people on here already have land of their own and established themselves where they are, for just about all of them they would have to uproot and walk away from their own farms to take the offer. your best bet is to find someone young who doesn't have land yet and needs experience, some might uproot from where they are, but most likely you should be trying to find someone in 400 miles.

interesting idea but this is probably not the best place to be advertising
Thanks for the feedback, I think you are correct. Appreciate you helping me.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:52 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Patience is a virtue

Be patient. Not everyone reads the forum every day. Give it a couple weeks at least for others to see it.

Sounds like a good deal.
There are some who visit here in Tenn. Give them a change to think about it.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM

If I may, another thought I've had about this is the timing. I suspect most people who would be interested in your admittedly good offer, would not be prepared to start what is basically a homesteading adventure with winter not too far off.

Possible, you would get more response in the early spring. Of course, you may get all sorts of response after the first of November, too

JVC
Old 08-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcstone View Post
If I may, another thought I've had about this is the timing. I suspect most people who would be interested in your admittedly good offer, would not be prepared to start what is basically a homesteading adventure with winter not too far off.

Possible, you would get more response in the early spring. Of course, you may get all sorts of response after the first of November, too

JVC
I suspect you are right, too. I was hoping for a BHM person since I figured we'd get along.

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:48 AM

Default POSITION FILLED!

Sorry, this opportunity has been filled. If it doesn't happen, I will be back on here. I love this forum although I seldom post.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:09 PM

all right--hope it all works out well for you.
JVC
Old 09-02-2016, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2uniform View Post
Sorry, this opportunity has been filled. If it doesn't happen, I will be back on here. I love this forum although I seldom post.
Please let us know how it works out. I hope it does, it sounds like a great opportunity for the right person.