BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Hands-on > Hands-On How-To

Hands-On How-To This board is ONLY for detailed, instructional posts about how to do or make something. General conversation about a topic belongs in the appropriate board.

Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Talking Older TV antennas and Digital

We purchased a home in GA back in May 2014. The previous owner was a retired naval electrical engr. I figure he was in communications seeing he ran a electronics repair shop out of his home.

The house is wired for cameras, security and TV /Radio connections all over. Most of which were cut when his widow decided to sell the place and bring in people to clean up. What a shame.

Anyway we have a channel master antenna and no controls, my neighbor gave me is old control box and it worked long enough to move the old mast about a foot.

SO this week I broke down and purchased a new rotator off amazon , which included power wire and a r6 cable separately all for 132.00$.

So I hop on line to see if the old boosters can be used /converted ect..

I found this article which states as I kind of figured the new so called digital antennas are not needed if you have an old one in good shape.

Here is the link, I did not read all of it as I was looking for the splice from 2 wire to coaxial.

http://lowendmac.com/2014/how-to-con...digital-tuner/

Ok hope that helps some of you folks. I'm off to paint the mast then to the 2nd store to buy back my splicers we gave them last fall.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

BPB
Old 08-19-2016, 12:46 PM

That's interesting. Thank you Bill.
I wish I'd have known about that 6 months ago when we finally gave up on our old analog TV and converter box. We bought ourselves a new digital TV at that time, and of course I bought into the hype that we needed a "digital" antenna to go along with it.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

"Most" older antennas will work fine BUT many channels changed frequency after the digital conversion..

2 types of antennas are needed in some areas. (VHF and UHF) Most channels converted to UHF frequencies but some remained in the VHF band..

Most older antenna amplifiers will still work. Most are dual band because of the old format..

If all channels in your area changed to UHF, it's a plus! Your antenna doesn't need to be dual band, just UHF. This type is smaller in size and much easier to manage..

Here's a link to research the information you need to decide what you have available in your area. I can give you connection information if you need it for cabling and such..

http://www.tvfool.com/
*Robert Frost*
Old 08-19-2016, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

I avoided the need for a rotor. I purchased 2 dual band antennas, pointed one North and one South and used a 2-way splitter/combiner to connect both antennas to a single coax ran to the inside of the house. There isn't any stations to the East and West worth messing with so I didn't worry about picking them up..

The digital format doesn't have the ghosting problems like the analog format had. Works great and no rotor..
*Robert Frost*
Old 08-20-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12vman View Post
"Most" older antennas will work fine BUT many channels changed frequency after the digital conversion..

2 types of antennas are needed in some areas. (VHF and UHF) Most channels converted to UHF frequencies but some remained in the VHF band..

Most older antenna amplifiers will still work. Most are dual band because of the old format..

If all channels in your area changed to UHF, it's a plus! Your antenna doesn't need to be dual band, just UHF. This type is smaller in size and much easier to manage..

Here's a link to research the information you need to decide what you have available in your area. I can give you connection information if you need it for cabling and such..

http://www.tvfool.com/

Great link! Thanks.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post

SO this week I broke down and purchased a new rotator off amazon , which included power wire and a r6 cable separately all for 132.00$.

So I hop on line to see if the old boosters can be used /converted ect..

I found this article which states as I kind of figured the new so called digital antennas are not needed if you have an old one in good shape.
Our old mast antenna works just fine on the digital signals. Since most of the stations in our area share the same transmitter location (aptly named "broad cast hill) we don't have to change the orientation of our mast.

We have another TV which we use a "digital" antenna that has a booster on it. It's indoors, next to a window and gets the job done but not as good as the mast antenna.

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:22 PM

I got an old channelmaster antenna for free quite a while ago. It is VERY long range, VERY big, UHF/VHF, and unidirectional. It came with a mast, tripod base, rotator, and booster that was shot.

I fixed the broken elements with parts from the hardware store, painted the mast/base, and got a new channel master booster/amp for ~ $60.

Have not messed with the rotator as I did not have the control unit, the motor might work?

Thankfully almost all the channels towers around are in the same direction. I might get a few more if I rotated the antenna but most of those are duplicates anyway.

I mapped the tower locations and got out the compass to orient the antenna.

I get over thirty stations for free, most are > 50 miles away. Some I loose when the foliage comes out , but they come back each fall. In the winter I get a station that is close to 100 miles away.

Channel master still sells similar antennas ca. $120, JUST the antenna.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital..._p/cm-3020.htm

Their website also has a lot of good info and ways to find local stations to orient you antenna
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 PM
Master Pontificator

Does this still require a adaptor box for the TV to get over the air programing?
Seem most TV are just a screen with the channel selection being done by what ever "Box" you have,.....Sat, cable modem?
Old 10-07-2016, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah.. If you have an older analog TV. The tuner will not convert the digital. Newer TV's have the tuner built in.
*Robert Frost*

Last edited by 12vman; 10-07-2016 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Ooops..
Old 10-07-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
Does this still require a adaptor box for the TV to get over the air programing?
Seem most TV are just a screen with the channel selection being done by what ever "Box" you have,.....Sat, cable modem?
Yes old TV need the adapter box to receive the new signals