BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 10-23-2016, 04:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Planting Potatoes in Milk Crates

I have an unlimited supply of milk crates, and wondered if I could grow potatoes in them?

My front yard is about 20 x 20 and has 2 huge ash trees. It's south facing and gets good sun, but I cannot dig up the ground, as the roots are everywhere.

I was wondering if anyone has grown potatoes in milk crates, and how well it worked for them.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:16 PM

I have never used milk crates myself, but I don't see why they wouldn't work. Many people use containers to grow potatoes, so I think milk crates would be fine. You might want to line them with landscape fabric or newspaper to keep the soil from falling through the sides.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 PM

Each crate would be its own "raised bed" so to speak. When planting in the conventional way, you leave 12-18 inches between plants, so the milk crates would be just the right size for individual plants.

Potato plants produce their tubers above the "seed potato" so place your seed piece near the bottom of the crate and cover it with 3-4 in of soil. Add soil &/or compost periodically as the plant sprouts and grows so that you finally end up with 6-8 more inches of soil depth.

Harvest when the green plant has turned brown and died back.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:02 AM

Thank you so much!! That was very helpful information!!!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
Thank you so much!! That was very helpful information!!!
Fools learn from their mistakes (that's why I have such a great wealth of knowledge). Wise men learn from the mistakes of fools.
Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 AM

You might try putting either 2 halves of a big seed or 2 small seed potatoes per crate, in opposite corners.

I've been growing in a small tower I made (I'm going to harvest them this weekend and will let you know how they produce). Last year I did the tower and in a 7gal grow bag. The bag produced better results. I was hoping to get potatoes thru the entire height of the tower and that didn't happen. I used my big bag for sweet potatoes this year.

I think doing the crate lined with landscape fabric as DoninAlaska mentions would be very similar to the grow bag and you might get good results. Also you might be able to stack a few crates in a pyramid arrangement to go vertical. Say 4 spaced out just enough that a 5th one will sit with a corner resting on the others. Or 2 rows however long you like, spaced just wide enough between them to allow you to bridege a crate on top between them.

Thinking about it, you might be able to stack say 3-5 high lined with fabric and filled with your soil. Then cut a small holes in the sides thru the landscape cloth to shove a small seed tater in. sort of strawberry tower like, Doing that on a few sides at say 2 different heights could prove interesting. maybe let you get potatoes in 2 layers in each crate.

Last edited by CountryGuy; 10-25-2016 at 12:30 AM.