BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 10-08-2016, 01:35 AM

Default Need treadle info

I need some help, please! I bought a Singer, number G35661 treadle sewing machine today. It has been well cared for, but the bobbins, needles, instruction booklet, etc. are all missing. Does anyone know where I can find out about my new "baby" and where to find the needed items? I have been sewing for many years but have to ask if treadle machines use different needles than electric machines. Mine also uses round bobbins. Thank you for any information you can share.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:06 PM
Master Pontificator

Are you sure G35661 is the model number?

You can go to: www.singerco.com put in your model number and pull up instructions manuals and other information on their machines. G35661 is not found, leading me to believe it is the machines serial number and not the model number. The site indicated above will also show you where to find the model number located on their various machine manufactured during different time frames.

www.sewingpartonline.com is also another great source for locating model numbers of various sewing machine manufacturers.

Hope you fine the information you need.
Old 10-27-2016, 10:07 PM

Smile

Thank you so much for your answer; you are correct that the machine number is not recognized. I was using the number from the newspaper ad, which the owner left out one number. I did find it on the Singer website and found out it was made in March, 1910 and is a Model 66. I was able to order a new belt, some bobbins and a rubber "wheel" for the bobbin winder. The current belt works fine and the sewing machine has been well taken care of. I got out a piece of lined notebook paper and tried stitching, without thread, on the lines. It was harder than I thought it would be to keep the treadle going forward. Sometimes it would start backwards. I asked hubby if he wanted to try and he did. He got it on the very first try! I have wonderful memories of my Granny using the top right hand drawer for her buttons so after we got my "baby" in the house and situated, I got my buttons and put them in the drawer. I already love it! I will use the your suggestions and I really appreciate them.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:44 AM
Master Pontificator

Happy to be of assistance, only wish I had seen you post sooner.

The Singer model 66 is also referred to as the "Red-Eye" model. It is a heavy duty sewing machine and will serve you well, if cared for even modestly.

The wife has one with the six drawer cabinet, three sliding drawers on each end of the cabinet as opposed to the more common four drawer cabinet. They are actually seven drawer and five drawer cabinets since both have a center drawer, but for some reason the center drawer seems to be omitted in the count. She also has a model 127 treadle machine with the same type cabinet, but only the four drawer model cabinet.

Unless the electricity gets turned off indefinitely, or permanently, neither will see much use. But if some misfortune comes our way, she can still sew.

Additionally, I have a Singer 29-4 harness, leather, shoe shop heavy duty type sewing machine and a Singer 31-15 also heavy duty in electric form, but the 31-15 has the belt guide on the machine and could be converted back to pedal (treadle) usage very easily.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:36 PM

Jjr...Again, thank you for your expertise. My machine is a 7 drawer, but the center drawer was missing. It may not be easy to find one as a replacement, but I wouldn't sell it, so right now it doesn't really matter. I will probably use it from time to time, just to see what I can do with it, but, I think that if the power goes down for quite a time and you want to have your own business using your other machines, that you might have lots of business working with shoes, boots, belts, anything of leather. What would you suggest regarding my missing center drawer; should I look for one or just forget about that and cover the area with another piece of nicely stained oak. If I could even locate instructions on how the cabinet was built, my hubby could make one. Insight, please.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Master Pontificator

It should be fairly simple to make another drawer. The center drawer on the model 66 slides out as opposed to the more common hinged or flip down center drawer found on many of the treadle machines.

One could probably make a less detailed center drawer that would work just as well as the original, but the original is a bit odd shaped having three compartments.

The center compartment is deeper than the other two:
A.) The left one is approximately 4 1/4 inches long by 2 inches wide,
B.) The right compartment is approximately 6 5/8 inches long by 2 inches wide,
C.) The center compartment is approximately 8 inches long by 3 7/8 inched wide, but it is not square having a rounded or flared out shoulder on each side increasing the depth of the center drawer for approximately five of the eight inches.

The slides are straight and almost 10 1/2 inches long.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:10 PM

Jjr...Thank you for that info; we'll see what we can do.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:10 PM

Arkgrandma, http://ismacs.net has lots of info, manuals, etc. for old Singers and other antique machines. Also, http://treadleon.net
Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 PM

Tabletophomestead: Thank you for your information. I have used the first site to gather information on my "baby", but the treadleon site is new to me and looks like it has lots of good stuff which I will definitely look into. I love my machine and have looked up lots of posts here on BHM Forum. I was stunned to see how cheap some people bought their machines, saying there are plenty available in their area. I had been looking for about a year, some were $300 up, some were just under $300, even saw one for $50, which was in awful shape and would have to be re-built. I saw an ad in a weekly paper, called about it and learned that it was located just across the lake from us, but in another state. We took the ferry, bought it, for $100, brought it home. I sent for a new belt, etc., to have on hand. I am in the process of cutting up pieces for some rag quilts which I hope to make this winter, one being on "baby." Again, thank you for your info.