BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Chicken Day... 2016

OK.... I like eggs cooked most any way, and chicken best fried.. I can tolerate them on the place, but not my favorite farm animal..

So almost a couple weeks ago the donkey worried a gate open 4-5" between him and the chicken yard.. Of course the chickens got out, and were gone.. I noticed it got awful quiet (noisy rooster) and found all this out.. I took a rifle (bears) and walked the bush up the pasture, woods and such to the lake.. Not one feather, track, or other sign to see. Oh well. No loss on those 5 birds as only getting 1-2 eggs a week at most..

Today we made a chicken run as my lady had found and negotiated a price for 6 hens and a rooster.. OK.. Got the chicken house cleaned out, and ready for the new inhabitants.. Got to the place, picked out and loaded 7 total in the crate.. They kept saying "here, take this one too"... Ended up with 13 birds total, all for the same price as 7 to start with.. Three are roosters, a couple bantams, one red, one coal black, and I have no idea what else..

Hope they kick in and start putting out some eggs soon as it was real evident real quick just how tasteless town eggs are.. Blech....
Old 11-07-2016, 08:23 AM
Master Pontificator

I find that kind of odd, chickens tend to come home to roost when it gets dark, I have not seen chickens go too far away (most people who free range a small flock around here rarely have their birds wander more than a couple hundred yards from the coop), only thing I could think of would be that something ate them or they got hit in the road (first 1, then the others start eating it, then they get hit).

sounds like your new flock was someone elses culls, the older birds, chickens are most productive their first year, then they slow down, birds over 3 tends to be lazy layers compared to young birds. lots of people replace their birds when they are a year old because its more productive for eggs to feed ratio.

good luck with the new flock
Old 11-07-2016, 03:24 PM

Yes... Most are culls to a point, but all but 1-2 at most are younger birds I'm told.. The people who had them also have a big bunch of a very expensive Canadian breed of chicken of some sort..

So one rooster is segregated out already for soup.. Next weekend that will happen as he doesn't play nice with others..
Within an hour of releasing them in there new home there was a nice, big, warm, brown egg in one of the nests..

As it turns out, got these birds at about $1.50 or less each on average.. Not going to complain..
Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Master Pontificator

Wow, that's a great price. You can't go wrong there even if they end up going to soup.

That is odd that your first flock disappeared without a trace like that. I am guessing that maybe a predator chased them away before eating them. Chickens usually don't wander far from home if they can help it.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:08 PM

Default Egg #4....

OK... So we had them all together as one big happy family, but that didn't work out as someone of the group was busting and eating the occasional egg there was..

So separated them into 3 groups and see who is doing what.. One group of three is consistently producing one egg almost every day.. No more broken ones.. I think those three are going to get a white leg band each..

Then I'm going to take one out for a while... If eggs still appear in that pen I know one of the two remaining is responsible.. Add one from the other groups in turn until I find the egg breaker..

I'm not worried about how much time this takes to a point.. Kind of a process of elimination thing..

Will this work OK ?? Is there a better way to do this ?? I can use and appreciate suggestions..
Thanks