BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 04-15-2016, 11:02 PM

Default The AK-47, unbelievable!

Check out this article I found on the web. Holy cow.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...7-still-works/

I have seen some ratty AK's in my day, but this one in the article takes the cake.

Some personal vignettes in regard to the AK's durability:

1. My Afghan platoon sergeant carried a Type One Russian AK, made in 1948. Worked as good as the day it was built.

2. One of my "troops" ran his AK over with a truck. I had him jump on the bolt to straighten the op rod while I worked on the receiver with a rock and Gerber tool. Put it back together and it ran fine.

3. The only thing my guys used to clean and lubricate their weapons with was diesel fuel.

4. We would routinely put captured weapons into the company arms room for distribution to new guys. Some of those guns were FUBAR beyond belief, but with a trip to the range, diesel fuel and a hammer, they worked.

5. Village smiths usually use nails to rivet scrap weapons together. Damaged parts are welded or cobbled together out of any stuff they have laying around. A little work with a file, a little peening with a hammer, and presto, that Romanian/Russian/Bulgarian/Egyptian rifle works just fine.

The tale goes on, lots more where those came from.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Yes.. The durability of some things is amazing..

I have read things written by several very prominent historians.. These were military historians, firearms historians, North American history experts, and other qualifications I'm not sure what all among them..

They all individually agree in the things I've read, if they themselves could have one firearm they would need to depend on if/when the world crumbled... The AK would be there choice...

An interesting article provided in the original post.. I for one would hate to see the thread degrade into any kind of Ford Chevy, AK AR, wheat bread white bread, kind of thing like has happened so many times..

Thanks for sharing..
Old 04-16-2016, 08:58 PM

It is even possible to make an AK out of a shovel! (No link, but it is out there.)

Or make your own at home from a parts kit, unregistered, just don't try to sell it.

Tinker
Old 04-17-2016, 05:01 PM

Default saw it on TV so it must be true

the German people really did make amazing things.

the AK is overhyped. The same exact damage can be inflicted on an m1 carbine and it can be straightened out with a hammer an wired back together to work fine.

an m1a Springfield in .308 was blown up, stock split, bolt broken and bent, the stock was wired together, the bolt straightened with a hammer, the firing pin was put in the bolt and held in place with a rubberband. It functioned fine.

you can 'clean' and 'lubricate' ANY gun with diesel, if that's what you want to call cleaning and lubricating a gun, wipe it in and out with diesel.

nothing special about the ak47. Except the overblown hype.

"look what I did ! ! ! ' I wiped down a gun with diesel fuel ! ! ! AMAZING !!!'
CAN YOU BELIEVE IT!!!!!! "

that must mean the gun is really great, right?

the ak47 is often used and abused ONLY because it often is the only thing available, NOT because it has some great magic about it.

in many place in he world when the old m1 grand was the only rifle available, it was used and abused, AND REPAIRED in ways that really are amazing.

most military rifles and carbines have been put through it all in third world war zones in the last 100 years, and repaired exactly as the ak47 has been.

some years ago, a person who claims to be a veteran of Viet nam, who also has authored a book, and may work at a gun museum, went on TV, and after lying about several other things, he declared the ak47 to be the one size fits all wonder gun, never needs cleaned, will never jam, and if he had to go to an undiscovered new planet with limited supplies and no contact with earth he would want an ak47,

he also started the "when the fall of the west comes I want an ak47 line" that has been told long enough and often enough that it is considered science.

the same person, and his followers, also tell as 'fact', a lie, that american service men usto take some empty m1 grand clips, and throw them on the ground, to make a clanging sound like the m1 grand make when it ejects the empty clip, the enemy would then stand up an let the G I s shoot them.

total outright barebutt lying BS.

anyone who ever really used an m1 grand, nowes the sound is made by the clip as it leaves the action of the gun, NOT when it hits the ground,

you can throw it on the ground all you want, the clip wont make a sound in grass dirt or sand, not even on rock.

anyone ever been in combat with an m1grand, or any other gun, would not think that with rifles going off all around someone is going to hear the ping of an empty m1 clip and stand up to be shot.

yet this is what the phony gun experts tell , RIGHT ALONG WITH THE IMPOSSABLE STORIES OF THE ak47.

my model of pickup never needs oil, never needs cleaned, goes 1,000 miles on a gallon of gas, and never needs fuel.

own one if you like, that's great, but quite repeating bs. Tell the truth about it.

I owned several, didn't like, got ride of. The hk91 and fal are still the rifles that top the ak47 in all areas, durability, repairability, and accuracy as the fall of the west continues.

the ak47 "UNBELIEVABLE"
Old 04-17-2016, 08:32 PM

Ok!

The AK is the hardiest service rifle I have ever seen or used.

Having been on both the receiving side and the giving side of the rifle, it has my respect.

No propaganda, just my experience.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:40 PM

BTW, that bit about fixing the M70 Yugo AK with a gerber and a rock?

That happened to me in Baghlan Province, Afghanistan July 2011. The soldier was assigned to 2 Co, 3 BN, 2 BDE, 209th ANA Corps.

No repetition of BS, sir.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:48 PM

you fixed it with a rock, ok, so?

men wore fixing bent broken m1carbines and m1grands for 40 plus years, using wire, rawhide, even duct tape and superglue.

there is not one special thing about the ak47 Other than the hype. No other gun has ever gotten the overrated hype the ak47 has.

men wore straightening bent barrels with rocks on railroad tracks in 1950,NOT ak47s either, your experience is nothing new or special.

the AK is nothing special. It is one of a half dozen auto rifles/carbines that have all been through the same crap in the same countries for 50 years, the AK has not excelled were others failed, it has only been produced in very HI quantities and ammo is still available It is the only thing available so it is the only thing used.

your opinion that it is the hardiest ever is only an opinion . Or you have only used it and the
m16/m4 ,

you think its better than a G3 ? Or have you never seen a G3?
G3 users will be waiting for your reply

own one if you want, but it is what it is, a gun that has plenty of accounts of failure. In Africa, men got new out of the crate ak's that didn't work, receivers and chambers simply wore wrong
Old 04-17-2016, 11:01 PM

Well, it seems we both have strong opinions, I'll stick with mine and you can have yours. As you have so clearly stated, the AK does not own a monopoly on toughness, nor am I the first soldier to fix a weapon with a rock.

However, the AK is the toughest and easiest to repair weapon that I know of. Also, it is an excellent combat weapon. That's not hype, it is an observation based on direct experience. I am not a communist propagandist, nor am I a fan of the system that spawned the world's most prolific rifle.

And yes, I have seen G-3's. I served along side a panzer grenadier unit once. It's a good weapon. I liked their machine guns better, though, the MG-3.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:43 PM
Master Pontificator

Read the original article. It states that the rifle was just found on the ground but was actually tested in no way whatsoever. No one test fired it to determine if it was actually functional. You only have someone's personal opinion that the "residue" found on the rifle meant that it was functional.

A lot of ill feelings being generated over the opinion of some anonomous person who was never identified.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:44 PM

No hard feelings here, just figured I'd throw out a cool firearms related article. And you are quite right, the article says "residue", not a test fire.

LOL, I wouldn't test fire that thing!
Old 05-01-2016, 11:08 PM

I have a lot of hard feelings about it.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwyo View Post
I have a lot of hard feelings about it.
If your hard feeling lasts more than 4 hours, see a Dr and stop taking the blue pills
Old 05-02-2016, 05:37 PM

I'm glad that I took the blue pill.

the rest of you can go take your red pills, go back to bed, and wake up in your fantasy world and believe whatever you want to think is real
Old 11-18-2016, 12:36 PM

AK's are crude but they work. Are they a wonder weapon, not hardly. Any gun can and will fail under the right (or should I say wrong) conditions. You just need to know what those conditions are, and avoid them. I'm sure there's more than one M16 that was beat to hell and still operated. Comparing the two for ruggedness, I'll give the edge to the AK. But to treat an AK as if its some mystical creation, hell no. Its just a machine, that give the wrong attention for too long a time, will fail just like anything else. For some, like the older WASR's just insert a shitty magazine and you'll put it out of commission real quick.