BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-16-2016, 02:43 PM

Default Magazine springs stronger?

It has been a long while since I bought magazines for autoloaders, but recently did purchase a few and I find that I can't load them beyond about 5 rounds without the help of a mechanical loader. Now I know that my age could be a factor, so I got an older one out and loaded it to capacity without problems.

I am guessing that the spring strength has been increased in "new" magazines in order to get the next round up with "faster" cycling times of shorter concealable slides.

Does anyone know or have the same problem, or do I just need to work on my hand strength?

z
Old 11-21-2016, 10:42 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanedclark View Post
It has been a long while since I bought magazines for autoloaders, but recently did purchase a few and I find that I can't load them beyond about 5 rounds without the help of a mechanical loader. Now I know that my age could be a factor, so I got an older one out and loaded it to capacity without problems.

I am guessing that the spring strength has been increased in "new" magazines in order to get the next round up with "faster" cycling times of shorter concealable slides.

Does anyone know or have the same problem, or do I just need to work on my hand strength?
I suspect that you, and I must be about the same age. I've been an active shooter and ammo builder for most of my long life; consequently, I've done a lot of damage to the tendons and ligaments in both my hands and lower forearms. Neither am I able to load my semiautomatic pistol, or AR/AK magazines without having to use some sort of magazine loading/unloading tool. (Well I can; but, 'Why' would I want to ache and fumble around like that!)

Older magazine and well used magazine springs tend to, 'take a set'. To some extent this will, of course, weaken them. New pistol magazines are often assembled at the factory with outside contractor-supplied springs; and the quality and tensile strength of these contracted, 'lowest bidder' springs can vary by quite a bit.

What I do whenever I buy a new gun is to contact Wolff Gunsprings in Newtown Square, PA, and order replacement, '+Power' magazine springs. (Oftentimes I'll order replacement springs for the entire gun; and I do exactly the same thing on each of my well used guns.)

People like you, and I need to, 'stay real'. There ain't going to be no, 'turning back of the clock' for us. Several years ago, now, I started using Maglula Loading And Unloading Tools for all of my semi-auto magazines. They work fine; and I've learned to really like using them. So much so, in fact, that on those rare occasions when I forget to throw one into my range bag, I won't shoot unless someone else takes pity on me, and lets me use one of his!