BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 11-15-2006, 04:45 PM
Inactive Member

Default Pups need home in SW Missouri near Branson

First - I have to rant a second... SW Missouri sure seems to be THE place for people who think of pups & kittens as throw-aways, lately! If people would just get their dogs and cats spayed/neutered in the first place they wouldn't always be dumping them on the rest of us who are responsible about pet ownership!!! >

Now, to business... My husband and I rescued a couple of male pups last week (they were running back and forth across the highway and would have been killed if we hadn't stopped and picked them up). We did find out who the owners were because of another dog running with them having a tag. Turns out the pups were her neighbors dogs. The problem is, the neighbors are abusive and don't want them back even if we were heartless enough to take them "home". (We're working with the local authorities to get the other 4 pups and mother taken away from them - these jerks have already killed 3 of the other pups from this litter, plus 1 cat by running over them! They ran over the mother of the pups too, when she was a pup and now that dog has only 3 legs. They also refuse to feed or water them, saying that dogs who live in the country ought to be able to find their own food. Needless to say, the mother - who was nursing 10 pups without any food of her own to eat - is skin and bones!)

Anyway...To make a very long story short, we are fostering them while we are looking for a new home for them (and probably the siblings along the way). We already have 5 dogs and 6 cats (not to mention goats, chickens, etc.) and are up to our ears in hock over pet food & vet bills, so we really can't keep them - despite the "cute factor".

And they are cute! I will get pics of them to post in a bit. (I'm waiting for my camera to charge.) I'm thinking a German Shepherd must be making the rounds, because I’ve seen a bunch of similar looking pups lately in these parts - only these little guys look like they have a Yellow Lab mix for a mom. They have distinct shepherd markings and big feet, but one of them is very light buff colored and just sort of looks lab in the face. They have the lab ears, but young shepherd's ears flop over too, so who knows how they will end up. They will probably be med/large from the look of them - maybe in the 55-60lb. range.

These are energetic little fellas - probably about 3 months old - and they like to chew on pretty much everything - so expect to spend some money on chew toys. (They are teething of course, and that is natural. They tend to grow out of the behavior once their permanent teeth come in.) On the plus side, they are really doing well on the potty training - only one small "piddle" today (compared to a LOT - of EVERYTHING!) the first few days! A couple more days should see them housebroken completely. Another plus is that they sleep all night and don't whine to be let into rooms they aren't allowed once its 'lights out". I think they were so unused to coddling that they don't expect anyone to care if they are alone or cold or hungry, so they are grateful for whatever they get when it comes.

We're calling them Romulus and Rhemus for now (Remember the twin babies suckled by a she-wolf? Founders of ancient Rome? Just seemed appropriate somehow! ) We started out calling them Piddle and Puddle - fortunately that is changing! They’ll answer to anything and everything though - whistle, pat your knee, cluck, or just say hey you - they're more than happy to come see what you have in mind. Particularly if it involves a ball or a bone or anything else they can bat around or chew on. And they love to wrestle with one another as well. In fact, it would be nice if someone wanted both of them since they are very close, and need someone their age to play with. (Hint, hint.)

I would love to see them settled with a family who has a large yard or bit of property in the country because, like I said, they will probably be pretty good sized and they have tons of energy, but I am sure they will adapt well to inside life too - with the right person who will take them for long walks. They would also probably do best with kids who have been taught not to torment small animals, since the people who had them originally allowed their little brats to throw rocks at them all day and thought it was funny. (The neighbor stopped them when she saw it, but who knows what these little guys had to put up with when she wasn't around!)

So that's it. Please think about giving these babies the loving home they need and deserve. PM me if you are interested, and close by so we can work out a way for you to see them. Thanks!

Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Pups need home in SW Missouri near Branson

What a sad story, and what barbarians some people can be, it's too bad that people like them are ever allowed around animals.
Good luck on finding homes for these puppies and it's so great to hear of people that really care for animals.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Inactive Member

I finally got some pictures of these little guys but it wasn't easy! They wiggle so much and are so full of energy that even my husband had a hard time hanging on to them while I tried for a non-blurry shot or two. So... photo quality isn't all that great, but at least you can get an idea what they are like. I'm not sure how to put these photos directly in the message so I just linked to them. Just click on these links and another window will open with the pictures. Thanks for looking. Please, someone fall in love with them and give them a good home! * :-*

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/sh...tingpretty.JPG

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/share/Pups/Rhemus.JPG

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/sh...ngatcamera.JPG

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/sh...atstheidea.JPG

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/sh...sfromabove.JPG

http://stephensonstudio.eaph4.com/sh...esofenergy.JPG
Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 AM

They are so adorable, I sure hope they go to happy homes.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:01 PM

If you were about 750 miles closer..............
Old 12-26-2016, 08:33 PM

Do you still have them?
Old 12-26-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0klu View Post
Do you still have them?
Welcome to backwoodshome! But, if you look at the date on the first post it was 10 years ago.