BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Firearms/Weapons

Firearms/Weapons Firearms or other weapons issues that do not have a dedicated board.
PLEASE NOTE: These boards are for discussion only. Offers to buy, sell, or trade anything are prohibited.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:18 AM
Master Pontificator

Default new law in NY closes an open carry loophole

well I am a bit depressed this morning, I read that my state now classifies Machetes as a weapon and not a tool, as a tool I could carry one around on my belt (a kind of open carry, no one will mess with the 6 foot tall guy who has a machete on his belt). now its a misdemeanor to be in possession of one.

its like other classified non firearm weapons, if the police see you with one it is to be assumed its for the intent of a criminal act and probable cause for an arrest.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Sad...and a reason not to live there.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Might want to get clarification on this. I found these two statements concerning the law:

Section 1. Subdivision 2 of section 265.01 of the penal law, as amended by chapter 1 of the laws of 2013, is amended to read as follows: (2) He OR SHE possesses any dagger, dangerous knife, dirk, MACHETE, razor, stiletto, imitation pistol, or any other dangerous or deadly instrument or weapon with intent to use the same unlawfully against another shall be a criminal offense; or Section 2 of the bill states: This act shall take effect immediately.

And..
The new rules signed into law this month by Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo stop short of banning the long, bladed instruments, often used by gardeners, farmers and hikers to clear undergrowth.

Instead, the new law makes it a separate misdemeanor to possess a machete with the intent of using it unlawfully against another person.

Source: Machete Joins Stilettos on New York State List of 'Dangerous or Deadly' Weapons | NBC New York http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...#ixzz4UkEQX3fa
Follow us: @nbcnewyork on Twitter | NBCNewYork on Facebook

Looks like possession with intent to harm is the key. I'd check with the local sheriff since you do a lot of wood work and brush clearing it would appear to be a tool of trade unless you decide to use it against someone. *Disclaimer* Not a lawyer and don't even like them.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:24 AM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Sad...and a reason not to live there.
Hank Williams, Jr. said it most eloquently: "Just sent me to Hell or New York City, It's about the same....."

New York & New Jersey are two states I never intend to visit, because of their harassing laws which hamstring their honest hard working citizens.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Master Pontificator

StockdaleDave, yeah that's the new rules that I was referring to, I use one a lot for clearing brush, but I also trained to use one like a falchion sword, when I was biking more often I was getting attacked by dogs that people let run loose, and when I was a forester on the rez there were a lot of rezdogs (feral, known for attacking people, abandoned pets dumped out on the rez that had to become aggressive and pack p to survive), I couldn't carry a handgun but could keep a machete with me for legit brush clearing AND personal protection.

I did check with several police and they said that if a person is found in possession of one of those listed weapons it is automatically assumed to be for the intent to cause harm.

now I am wondering if they are going to restrict my shelaighle next
Old 01-04-2017, 10:33 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setanta View Post
I did check with several police and they said that if a person is found in possession of one of those listed weapons it is automatically assumed to be for the intent to cause harm.
Well, so much for I-N-T-E-N-T. If, You have it, You're guilty. Short & simple.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 PM

This is what happens when you have a liberal majority making all the rules. Idiocy becomes law, and liberty gets tossed out the window. This mentality is the reason why I won't ever live in NY or NJ.