BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-11-2017, 01:26 AM

Default Can off grid solar be done on a budget?

Is it possible for off grid solar to be done on a budget? Yup! With some time and patience we were able to get all our solar items together and installed and only paid 20% of what it would have cost us! Check out our video about our solar https://youtu.be/nGbFBTKxXj8

What has everybody else been able to do with their off grid power without paying and arm and a leg?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:36 AM
Master Pontificator

I paid a large price for my array, however I bought it piece by piece as small panels as I could afford them, then wired them in parallel to make them work as a huge 10x12 array that generated 250 watts of power, cost over $1000 and took the better part of 2 years to build up, in contrast I could have paid $350-400 for a 4x4 kit that generates 200 watts (what my current system is made of). my batteries cost an average of $90 each, and I have 3 good ones, and 7 backup/inferior ones (salvaged car batteries, older batteries that don't hold a full charge, not great but usually free).
Old 01-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

In the past, solar was $5/watt. That's when I started building my system. Today it can be found for under a buck per watt,.

I saved for a year to purchase 196 watts to avoid the need of hauling two deep cycle marine batteries around in a van during the day to charge them. Ahh.. The good 'ol days..
*Robert Frost*