BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Incorporating prepping my in hs...

I was wondering how you incorporate Prepping in your homeschooling curriculum?".
Old 01-15-2017, 01:14 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I believe our culture strayed off the mark when we turned our education system into a process of consuming and regurgitating information; checking off achievement boxes to mark "progress." "Curriculum" tries to neatly package topics into a course of study to be denoted on those achievement lists.

For our family, home educating has been life. We pass along not just knowledge, but the ability and desire to learn. Instead of just reading, it's understanding and evaluating. It's not just answering questions - it's questioning answers. More importantly, it's determining what questions to ask.

So, when it comes to prepping, it's not just a subject, it's a lifestyle. Let your progeny in on the process of deciding what should be done before learning how to do it. Laying out a garden plot becomes a economics lesson before it becomes a geometry lesson. Laundry duties teach grouping, sorting and efficient use of resources. Once you begin thinking this way, life becomes the curriculum and living is the test.

PS: The above response is very much the way I answer my kiddos when they ask for advice. Instead of responding with "you should do. . ." the answer is more like, "how can you figure this out?"

Use less, lose less, weigh the benefits, count the costs.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 AM
Master Pontificator

With the inclement weather much of the country has been having the past few weeks, you have a wonderful opportunity to discuss being prepared prior to the need against winter storms and other perils Mother-Nature sends our way.

Also travel on icy & frozen roads bring about their own unique circumstances and the need to have heavy coats, blankets, candles, energy bars, water, snow shoes, tire chains, etc stored in the vehicles at this time of year may also be brought into the discussion.

A general preview could be discussed and then have your students prepare an outline individually or collectively of what they would consider the minimalist preparedness should be all the way to a fully prepared individual or family to meet the threats possible during winter travel or a winter storm, flood, tornado or whatever Mother-Nature sends their way.

Age of you children may determine how general or detailed you wish to make this discussions, but for real young children, you continue the prepping aspect of your class each winter, and go into greater details as the children grow and mature.

From the more modern preparedness aspect of prepping, you can back track to past generations and the old pioneers settling this country having to have adequate stores of cellar stored, canned, dried, smoked, salt cured or brined foods to see them through the winter months, and until the next years crops would begin to yield fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. Hunting game animals or processing their own domestic animals could or actually should also be included in the discussion of the pioneers and past generations survival during the lean winter months.

Best of luck with your classroom exercises. And let us know how your teaching the preparedness skills, aptitudes & experiences go & are received by your pupils.
Old 01-15-2017, 02:35 AM
Master Pontificator

That will teach me not to preview the title. I do not have any kids. I was curious and wanted to help any newbies out there lurking. Lol!
Old 01-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cil View Post
That will teach me not to preview the title. I do not have any kids. I was curious and wanted to help any newbies out there lurking. Lol!
Regardless of having any children or not, the topic was timely, and I would have thought it would have elicited much greater discussion, than it did, but I have though that about many other posts also.

BTW, I like your quote! It is a great one.