BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Vertical Gardening; anyone?

https://www.amazon.com/Vertical-Gard...6392374&sr=8-1

This is the book I am reading

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discuss...ical-gardening

This site has great vertical ideas. I am especially fond of the strawberries in the gutters!!

My yard is 50 foot N to S and 50 foot E to W.
1/4 gets ZERO sun.
I have 2 trees that need to come down and 4 stumps ground out.

My plan is to do long narrow raised beds (about 18 inches wide, 30 feet long) so I can control the soil and weeds. Place sturdy posts in the box, and place either chain link or similar style fencing for the plants to grow up.

I wish it was easier to upload photos on this site. I do not belong to a photo site, and prefer to download straight from my computer!!

Anyhoo, does anyone else vertical garden AND do you have photos, stories, advice you can share????
Old 02-07-2017, 04:34 PM

Not much advice to share. We hang gutters on the back of the chicken coop on a south-facing wall and grow strawberries there. I mounted the gutters onto a 2x4 and sat it on moveable shelf brackets. The brackets are 14" deep so I can move the gutters closer to or farther from the building wall depending on the precip and the temp. We take them off the brackets in winter and place them on the ground so they can be covered with snow and protected from the bitter cold. We also have pole beans that climb, cucumbers that climb, and, of course, peas of several kinds. Tomatoes are sometimes caged (determinates) and sometimes climb rope lines to the greenhouse ceiling using clips I buy from Johnnys. We don't do other vining crops vertically, such as squash and melons, since space is not really a problem here and making those little hammocks is such a pain.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:19 PM

I do not have any experience with vertical gardening unless you count the very steep banks I grow herbs and vegetables on. I have seen some nice setups with light plastic pipe hung horizontally on a pipe frame above beds with strings going between them from the bed to the pipe for plants to climb. Seen some interesting vertical gardens using old pallets for patio gardens.

Also saw bigger plastic pipe used on end, filled with dirt, with maybe 2-3 inch holes drilled every foor or so around the pipe along the entire length to tuck plants in. We might try that with plastic barrels for salad vegetables in a small area. Strawberries might do well in the pipe and we like that idea!

The Square Foot garden growing techniques do incorporate using vertical space as well as the flat area. Makes a lot of sense, the way they lay it out with climbers on the back and non-climbers in front, whole thing facing south. Sorry we don't have any experience to offer...

What are you envisioning for the structure? What do you want to grow in a vertical garden?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:43 PM

Space isn't a problem for me either, so don't get into the vertical thing much. I run string or wires spaced up every 6 in. or so for support for peas and tomatoes-- much cheaper and cleaner than cyclone fencing.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Not much advice to share. We hang gutters on the back of the chicken coop on a south-facing wall and grow strawberries there. I mounted the gutters onto a 2x4 and sat it on moveable shelf brackets. The brackets are 14" deep so I can move the gutters closer to or farther from the building wall depending on the precip and the temp. We take them off the brackets in winter and place them on the ground so they can be covered with snow and protected from the bitter cold. We also have pole beans that climb, cucumbers that climb, and, of course, peas of several kinds. Tomatoes are sometimes caged (determinates) and sometimes climb rope lines to the greenhouse ceiling using clips I buy from Johnnys. We don't do other vining crops vertically, such as squash and melons, since space is not really a problem here and making those little hammocks is such a pain.
This! Same here, pretty much.

The one thing that I really like with maximizing climbers is that there ends up being significantly less weeding versus productivity and output.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:30 PM

and less slug damage and mold.