BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Livestock/Horses

Livestock/Horses Cows, sheep, pigs, goats, llamas, and other four-legged friends.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default strange happening

OK--it's kidding season here, and we have had a weird thing happen. 2 days ago, a first time mom had twins, and everything went well, got her into the nursery pen--fine. Yesterday morning one of the older does was in the main pen with one baby, and again we got her into the nursery pen without any problem. Both moms and the three babies are doing well.

This morning, my lady friend woke me early asking if I heard a sound she was hearing, which I couldn't. She went out and came back in with a baby that had obviously been cleaned up and nursed. Now last night the temp had been well below freezing 26 or so, but this baby didn't look like it had had a bad night--nice and alert and yelling strong. Took it to the herd, and none of the does, although all curious, took ownership. Also, none of the does showed any sign of recent birth. Apparently, it had managed to survive 24 hours , and came in from the pasture on it's own

OK, based on looks and characteristics, we figured this little one must belong to the doe that we assumed had birth just one the day before, so we put it into the pen with her. The little one went right to her, but she sort of half assed rejected it, and would not let it nurse. I've managed to restrain the doe a couple of times and had the baby nurse that way, but she hasn't managed to get to the tit on her own. It is obviously her baby, and in the past she has been an excellent mom, and it confuses me as to why she would leave a baby out in the pasture yesterday morning, after having cleaned and nursed it. Also yesterday, she never showed any "missing baby" stress signs. The entire deal is really strange.

Anyway, I hope to get the mom to accept the little one--don't really want to start with the bottle feeding routine if I can avoid it. Have read that putting something like peppermint oil on both the mom's nose and the baby might help--suppose if I did that, I'd need to put some on the already accepted baby too. Any suggestions would really be appreciated, as this is a new one on me. Have 11 more does to kid yet and was hoping this would be a year without problems. Wishful thinking I guess.

JVC
Old 02-01-2017, 04:14 PM

I have no knowledge or experience with goats (although that sort of deficiency has never prevented me in the past from forming an opinion and conveying it about anything), but, more amazing than the doe rejecting the 2nd kid is the way the 2nd kid survived and found its way in from the field.

I'm pretty sure goats can't count, so maybe the mother, after delivering the 1st kid, figured her ordeal was over and didn't associate the 2nd delayed delivery as being any of her concern. That "imprinting" has to do with oxytocin levels and such and things weren't in the proper balance for the 2nd kid. ???

How're they doing now?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 PM

thanks for your reply, Doc. Yes, that the kid survived for 24 hours (and a below freezing night) is what really surprised me. Must have had some sort of higher power (maybe one of the LGDs) looking out for it.

I am bottle feeding it as the mother, while tolerating it hanging with her other kid will not let it nurse, and all three of them appear to be doing well.

JVC
Old 02-10-2017, 01:00 PM

Have you tried putting the doe in a headgate to let the kid nurse?
If you give her some feed she should stand still long enough.
I suspect in the confusion of giving birth to twins and them being moved, she didn't realize one was missing, and it was probably sleeping nearby so you didn't notice.