BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Education/Homeschool

Education/Homeschool Homeschooling, adult education, teaching self-reliance, and anything else education-related.

Old 02-11-2017, 11:24 PM

Default Homeschooling as supplement to public??

I have a question for everyone. We have 5 kiddos from 14 down to 6 months. Our school district is pretty decent and our only 2 school agers are our 2 daughters (8th and 5th). Both are in the top of their classes, the younger is in the enrichment/ gifted program, both play piano and flute and the older is quite a talented artist for her age winning contests and awards at the state fair. As much as I'd like to see them homeschooled, it's not in the cards for us for many reasons. But that doesn't mean I can't take a keen interest in their education and ensuring the holes get filled and the misdirection gets corrected.

So my question is, I'd like to try to supplement their education with more conservative/ libertarian/ volunteerist views and materials while driving to strengthen and deepen their critical thinking skills real world life skills; but how? Can you all point me in the right direction for great sources on things like age appropriate economics, civics, history, business, etc or the like that you all use or would recommend. Be it a structured curriculum, books, web sites, whatever to help drive off the sheeple mentality so prevalent in the majority of today's kids and young adults.

Also, any thouhgts on the toddlers and number 3 will be heading to kindergarten in the fall. Any have experience with the ABC Mouse? I've heard it can be very good to help in developing core skills like reading and math.

Thanks in advance for any insight and direction anyone can provide.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:49 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't know about your older ones, but I hear great things about starfall.com for your little one.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 AM

Living in a rural area helps. We're surrounded by mostly Conservative, Constitutionally-loyal types. Our youngest is 15 and also pretty active like your kids. I listen to a lot of talk radio in the car so she gets that kind of Conservative point of view. And we do a lot of talking about current events.

I think the key is I try to present all sides to a debate without disparaging how others believe. Of course, I let her know what I think on the topic and why I'm thinking that way, especially which values I base my opinions on.

Hubby and I will make a point to surround ourselves with movies and books that have sound principals and are historically accurate such as watching documentaries on Netflix or taking the Constitution 101 course (free) from Hillsdale College together via the internet on the TV in the living room. She can't help but to be exposed to some of the material. That said, we have home schooled her off and on through her academic career and made sure one of those years included US History.

Your children are also young enough you can start the habit of you and/or your wife reading aloud to them right before bed. It is a great way to wind down and spend some family time. You'd be surprised how much the kids like it, too. We tend to read classic literature that hubby and I never got to read when we were kids so it is a win-win. Plus my teen is having to read books in school or wants to read what her friends are reading so I make sure to read the same book at the same time. She actually likes that because it gives her an opportunity to discuss it with me - and it is a little competitive to see who has read the most so far.

Good luck. In the end, you want to be living your values and your children will learn from your example.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

I used to read my kid's school books. They hated that because many years I had thought the books left out something important, and so I would cover it. We are talking about an hour per year, here: the books were actually pretty good.

In my opinion, the oldest Is ready to start talking about what is on the TV very night. I used to ask my oldest what she thought the effect of something the government was doing would be. She did not have to agree with me, she only had to talk about it intelligently.

The main lesson, of course, was THINKING about the world around her, and HOW the government works.

For example: government. Trump has the right to issue an executive order about immigration, but only if that executive order is constitutional. 2 courts have said his executive order is at least partly unconstitutional.

He now has 3 choices: let it go to the Supreme Court to decide because it is the highest court in the nation, or re-write it and start over with the new executive order, or let the subject drop and not do anything at all. In a way, the situation with the executive order on immigration is not unlike high school. If it passes, he is done. If not, he must do it over or he will not please the people who voted for him.

Notice I did not talk about Liberal vs Conservative: THAT part is all around her. Instead I talked about cause and effect and how the government does things. At age 15 I think that is PLENTY!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM

Cil - Thanks, I'll check that site out.

Catherine & Terri- Thanks for you thoughts. We are in a pretty rural area of central PA so similarly the area is predominantly conservative, self sufficient people. I've been trying to steer clear of the Dem/ Rep, Left/ Right viewpoints though we do discuss as what is going on in the media and state and country in general. I try to make them think on why so many people seem to push only a 2 viewpoint world and get them to understand nothing in this world is black and white, A or B.

My wife and I do try to impress upon them our more conservative values and morals but at the same time I more so try to impress on them the idea of freedom and that it truly means. I try to teach them love of country, not love of government and being patriotic to the ideals not blind patriotism that whatever the government does is right and acceptable. I try to impress on them that Freedom means that they should be able to do what they want and live how they want without outside interference so long as it doesn't harm or impact others. Sort of along the lines of the non-aggression principle. But at the same point that means they can't push their values, beliefs or ways on others; that they also must let others live as they wish so long as there is no expectation for the girls to accept or pay for it. Deeper conversation for another day. I try to explain that we don't believe in using drugs like marijuana, but at the same point if others do who are we to say no or say they need to go to jail for smoking a plant.

Sorry, I'm getting off the spirit of this thread. The girls both have great heads on their shoulders though on occasion I do question the amount of common sense they might posses. I'm proud to see the type of young ladies they are both developing into. It's areas of knowledge I'm a bit weaker in like where I'd like to find other things to fill in their education things like entrapunearship to lead them to a life where they don't need to work for someone or go into into debt for a degree that isn't worth the return on their investment.

The Hillsdale course is a great thought. I was going to do that a few years back when Mark Levin talked about it but my job at the time didn't afford me much free time. I'll try to find similar things. We do read bed time stories to the boys 4 & 5 though not every night as I'm sure you all know how hectic things can get at times with 5 kiddos. I'm always on the lookout for great children books on things like prepping, homesteading and the like so any recommendations are welcome.

We do some of the similar with TV shows and documentaries and I do listen to a couple podcasts like TSPC that they get to listen to on occasion with me. I try to get them outside doing things and teaching what I consider basic skills from things like camping, fire making, and fishing and similar things I learned as a boy earning my Eagle Scout to things like bike and vehicle maintenance, gardening and we're growing our skills together in our homesteading.

Appreciate the insight and hope you all keep it coming!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
I used to read my kid's school books. They hated that because many years I had thought the books left out something important, and so I would cover it. We are talking about an hour per year, here: the books were actually pretty good.

In my opinion, the oldest Is ready to start talking about what is on the TV very night. I used to ask my oldest what she thought the effect of something the government was doing would be. She did not have to agree with me, she only had to talk about it intelligently.

The main lesson, of course, was THINKING about the world around her, and HOW the government works.

For example: government. Trump has the right to issue an executive order about immigration, but only if that executive order is constitutional. 2 courts have said his executive order is at least partly unconstitutional.

He now has 3 choices: let it go to the Supreme Court to decide because it is the highest court in the nation, or re-write it and start over with the new executive order, or let the subject drop and not do anything at all. In a way, the situation with the executive order on immigration is not unlike high school. If it passes, he is done. If not, he must do it over or he will not please the people who voted for him.

Notice I did not talk about Liberal vs Conservative: THAT part is all around her. Instead I talked about cause and effect and how the government does things. At age 15 I think that is PLENTY!
That sounds like a great way to do things. John Dewey was the one who devised a program to change society by dumbing down the public schools. If people can't think critically, they are more likely to accept what they are "fed". If you question many high schoolers or college folks about subjects such as global warming or other progressive topics, they can't give you reasons why it is so; they just know it is true because everybody tells them so. If you can objectively evaluate an idea, you will be less likely to be duped by charlatans.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGuy View Post
Cil - Thanks, I'll check that site out.

Catherine & Terri- Thanks for you thoughts. We are in a pretty rural area of central PA so similarly the area is predominantly conservative, self sufficient people. I've been trying to steer clear of the Dem/ Rep, Left/ Right viewpoints though we do discuss as what is going on in the media and state and country in general. I try to make them think on why so many people seem to push only a 2 viewpoint world and get them to understand nothing in this world is black and white, A or B.

My wife and I do try to impress upon them our more conservative values and morals but at the same time I more so try to impress on them the idea of freedom and that it truly means. I try to teach them love of country, not love of government and being patriotic to the ideals not blind patriotism that whatever the government does is right and acceptable. I try to impress on them that Freedom means that they should be able to do what they want and live how they want without outside interference so long as it doesn't harm or impact others. Sort of along the lines of the non-aggression principle. But at the same point that means they can't push their values, beliefs or ways on others; that they also must let others live as they wish so long as there is no expectation for the girls to accept or pay for it. Deeper conversation for another day. I try to explain that we don't believe in using drugs like marijuana, but at the same point if others do who are we to say no or say they need to go to jail for smoking a plant.

Sorry, I'm getting off the spirit of this thread. The girls both have great heads on their shoulders though on occasion I do question the amount of common sense they might posses. I'm proud to see the type of young ladies they are both developing into. It's areas of knowledge I'm a bit weaker in like where I'd like to find other things to fill in their education things like entrapunearship to lead them to a life where they don't need to work for someone or go into into debt for a degree that isn't worth the return on their investment.

The Hillsdale course is a great thought. I was going to do that a few years back when Mark Levin talked about it but my job at the time didn't afford me much free time. I'll try to find similar things. We do read bed time stories to the boys 4 & 5 though not every night as I'm sure you all know how hectic things can get at times with 5 kiddos. I'm always on the lookout for great children books on things like prepping, homesteading and the like so any recommendations are welcome.

We do some of the similar with TV shows and documentaries and I do listen to a couple podcasts like TSPC that they get to listen to on occasion with me. I try to get them outside doing things and teaching what I consider basic skills from things like camping, fire making, and fishing and similar things I learned as a boy earning my Eagle Scout to things like bike and vehicle maintenance, gardening and we're growing our skills together in our homesteading.

Appreciate the insight and hope you all keep it coming!
Hillsdale is GREAT! I have taken every course they offer online and have reviewed most of the Hillsdale Dialogues. There was also an "author" named Little Bear Wheeler, who made video for kids on history and re-published history and other books that were written and published prior to the Progressive era--many on American history. I don't know if they are still available. Some of his videos have conservative Christian messages at the end, but if that is not where you are, you can simply skip that part. Videos covered things like military uniforms at different eras of U.S. history, how to load, maintain, and fire a flintlock rifle, etc.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Master Pontificator

I love Rainbow Resources catalog. It's a fantastic resource for ALL SORTS of wonderful programs, curriculums, stand alone books, educational games, etc. Google them & they'll come up. We're 25yr veterans of homeschooling and have ordered from Rainbow Resources many times.