BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Energy

Energy Energy topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:12 PM

Default Nickle Iron Batteries

Iron Edison distributes these chinese made batts out of colorado.

Does anyone have experience with this battery system.

They are Not inexpensive.

ironedison.com should be the url if anyone is interested.

They open with a bold statement. This Is The Last Bettery You Will Ever Buy. At least they know their market. Geezers!

I'm feed up with taking care of lead acid batteries since 1983. Too many cells in a 24 volt system. Crap shoot with bad odds.

I still don't know if they are on the level or not or if we'll make that move but So far they interest me the most. I like that I don't have to fill out forms on line to find out the price of the Saltwater batteries. What are they afraid of? Or is it just more of the contact information `that we will never sell' BUSINESS?
Just another thing I don't yet know.

Ron
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Maybe this will help.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/nifebatteries

Prices are not US, but I suppose you can figure out what it is in US dollars.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:27 AM

Thank you for your help. If I ever move to the UK I will give them a shout... shipping to New Mexico might be a little out of my budget, unless they buy me the batteries.

Ron
Old 11-23-2016, 10:34 AM

I'll try a little closer for US prices.

https://ironedison.com/nickel-iron-ni-fe-battery

https://ironedison.com/images/produc...son%202014.pdf
Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM

Hi hunter88, I do appreciate your efforts. Yesterday poking around for more info on NiFe batts I read some things that give me pause where Iron Edison is concerned.

Trouble is, with forum debates over the efficacy of this or that.... it's hard to tell if it's a competitor who is creating doubt,,,,, [ WHOLE lot of that going around since and way before the tobacco industry ]... or a well informed person trying to do the right thing.

How does one tell?? Offgirdlock!!

There are too many things to know and too little time. One can form an opinion sometimes like i did but it's almost too uninformed to matter. Didn't like the salt water stuff much either. Especially if you must buy their battery charge controller for another 1k. THAT smells like manufactured cash flow.

Ron
Old 11-23-2016, 05:26 PM

Well it's always fun to look around at different stuff. I did find a you tube video on a DIY nickle iron battery that was kind of interesting.

But as you said who knows what to believe on the internet. Lots of good stuff out there and lots of bad stuff too. I've gotten to the point when I'm not sure on something I head for the you tube videos. By the time I've watched 5 or 6 of those I can pretty well weed out the ones that know what they're doing from the nut cases that come close to blowing themselves up.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Be aware of the odd voltages. (For charging and running voltage) Most solar charge controllers on the market are designed around lead-acid and the parameters just don't match well..

Inverters are in the same category. Be prepared for some fancy circuitry for the option of a long lasting battery..
*Robert Frost*
Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM

Ron45: The edison NiFe battery was used a great deal in industrial fork lifts. My experience with them over a period of 10 years was they held their charge quite well and the battery had a fairly flat discharge curve. The battery itself was a wet cell so it required the same care and maintenance as would a lead acid battery. Some of the cells were dozens of years old in the fork lifts we used. The batteries were a 36vdc @ 350amp hrs and weighed about 1500lbs. I would be very careful not to use a mixed matched set of batteries as the cell voltages are not the same. This and the electrolite used in the different cells would be highly reactive with one another should they get mixed up.

That being said I think I have an old military service manual covering the care and maintenance of the edison type cells. I will look to see if I still have it on my book shelf. As far as I can remember I don't think it is to thick and I may be able to copy the required information. Overall I liked the edison cell. It seem to take abuse better than the lead acid cell in the industrial setting. email me at; recoilless_57mm@yahoo.com if you are interested in me looking for the information.

Charlie