BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > After Sunset > Philosophy

Philosophy Any non-religious philosophical discussions.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM

Default If there were no humans...

If the Earth didn't have any Humans on it, do you suppose that the World would keep on keepin' on? Or would everything just crumble into dust? I mean the Earth couldn't possibly survive without us to help it along, right?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

It would continue just fine. Things went for billions of years without us, and will continue in some form after we are gone.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:46 PM

Mother Nature would flourish once again without us much like it did ten thousand years ago. Earth's destruction will continue until we learn we are nature and not above it and must obey nature's laws or until we destroy ourselves.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:42 PM

Every time I drive to a populated area I think the same thing.
This was probable a nice place before all the people came here and screwed it up.
I always enjoyed the program Life without people.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:29 PM

depends on the people. animal and plant life would be doing a lot better without some people, ~ the greedy stupid type.

but other people are doing a great stewardship of caring for animals and plants, by stopping wildfires~forrest fires ~harvesting plants for animal food ~ harvesting timber for lumber ~ protecting animals from disease & the elements ~ protecting aniamls from other animals. & protecting animals & the earth from people who dont care but think they know everything

then there are many who poison the oceans and the earth with their garbage, plastic , boby wash and shampoo, and cry ~ dont cut down trees, dont plant trees , dont dam the rivers, dont clean the lakes , leave the animals alone, dogs evolved into whales because this was natures way. the myth of 'natures balance'
Old 04-15-2017, 09:36 PM

One thing that I have wondered about is that in order to build a septic system at my place, I first had to get a permit, do a perk test, then hire a licensed and bonded contractor to install it etc. All of this at exceptional expense. But, anyone can throw a dirty diaper into the trash can. Just one of the many mysteries of the universe.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM

A
Quote:
ll of this at exceptional expense
as with all fees and licenses, it's nothing more than another way for the government to collect "rent money"

JVC
Old 04-30-2017, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
One thing that I have wondered about is that in order to build a septic system at my place, I first had to get a permit, do a perk test, then hire a licensed and bonded contractor to install it etc. All of this at exceptional expense. But, anyone can throw a dirty diaper into the trash can. Just one of the many mysteries of the universe.
We had to do that in North Texas and what a joke! The "annual" permit was $20 and you had to get a contract with a licensed outfit to maintain it and they kept up the permit. That was usually another $175-$300 per year. To make matters worse they didn't really do anything to maintain it for you (aerobic systems). It was a jacked up system where we were paying someone to keep the local govy from fining us for illegal on site waste water system. Then one of the groups we hired was told repeatedly we do not use any poisons etc due to all the animals. I had some free range chickens die, the symptoms looked like avian influenza so I got in touch with the local agricultural university and ag extention office. turns out those maintenance people saw some fire ants on my place and put poison all around the septic system. My free range chickens ate it.
They admitted to using it but refused to make it right.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 AM

When I sold my house a few years ago I had to have the tank pumped and inspected. $300.
Then because the county had never kept the original drawings I had to pay to have the drain field mapped.
Another $300.
A septic permit cost my brother $600 back in 1998.
My mom had gone down to the court house to get it for him and she was arguing with the clerk.
She said she just wanted the permit not the tank.
Finally she figured it out and couldn't believe the cost.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM

It's ok that the cattle, hogs, horses, goats, dogs, cats and chickens, not to mention all the many and a sundry wildlife, can urinate and defecate at will all over the property, but I can't leave my own germs (which I'm obviously already contaminated with) out there, AND I have to pay a large fee, as you all have noted, to sequester it and have it hauled away periodically.

BTW-where do the pros haul it to to dump it?

Bask to the original question:

Note that it is the fate of ALL species to go extinct. Life-span of a species no more than 10million yrs and usually only 1 million. We've only been here 50,000yrs +/-. A mere single heartbeat in the life of the planet.

"Overpopulation" is another ruse being spread by the One World types. In fact:

50% of all people live within 50 miles of an ocean. That means there's one heck of a lot of space left for the other 50% of us.

All 8 Billion of us could tread water in Lake Superior at the same time (except for me. I can't tread water.) with room for another 4 or 5 Billion. We don't take up much space on the planet.

Now that we have fracking, there is no natural resource that's in any danger of being depleted by human activity.( If anyone can think of one, please inform me.)

Manhattan has a population density of 60,000/sq mi. (and they like living like that.) But the biggest problem facing the environment is loss of habitat due to human encroachment. Living in densely populated areas is actually good for the environment-- it saves habitat. Industrial ag also produces more food on fewer acres, saving habitat.

My cousin stopped after having four kids. He had read that every fifth child born is Chinese.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:41 PM

Does anyone have a gut feeling that humanity as a whole, cannot keep up the pace that it is presently on? That something has "got to give"? Either by natural causes, or otherwise?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:05 PM

After the EOTWAWKI, life will go on unmolested & unchanged for the Third World types (and Amish) who don't rely now on the trappings of modern civilization.

I always liked Tom Landry's response, after the Cowboys had won their first Super Bowl, to the reporter's question about how big a deal this victory was: "Considering there's 600 million Chinamen who never even heard of football, I guess it's not that important."
Old 05-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
BTW-where do the pros haul it to to dump it?
Few years back, a septic tank pumper in this area was caught dumping his load at a low water crossing

JVC
Old 05-15-2017, 06:04 PM

Just like oil spills:
a) it came out of the ground in the first place, so what's the big deal if it goes back into the ground?

..and...

2) Remember how terrible the BP spill in The Gulf was going to ruin the ecosystems for eons to come? Anybody heard anything about it since then? Anybody know of any ongoing eco- problems from the spill?

"Exploit every crisis!" -- Rahm Emmanuel
Old 05-24-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
If the Earth didn't have any Humans on it, do you suppose that the World would keep on keepin' on?
Yes. The only change would be, there would be no one around to wonder about it.

I doubt a goat standing in a pasture grazing would look up and wonder if the world would keep on keeping on if there were no goats.

On septic tanks. 17 years ago I went in to check on the permit. I was given a form that told me how deep to dig the holes, how much water to pour in them, and how often I had to do it for my perk test. Couldn't believe they let us do our own perk test.

10 years later for my next system I had to pay someone to pour that water in the holes and watch it go down.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:34 AM

Make me glad to live in Missouri country.. none of that garbage here on your own property as long as you got three acres or more and what ever you build is is 10 feet from property line..

Last edited by MissouriFree; 05-25-2017 at 05:22 PM.