BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:30 AM

Default Unexpected Blessing

Ok had business out of town but passing through an area (rural) that we frequent. The Mister has a bad habit of taking shortcuts that take twice as long but occasionally these side trips can be fun. We have been watching the blackberry progress on our property getting a few ripe ones over the past week or so. Some dewberries. I don't care they all eat the same num num num. Anyway we are driving down a county road and I spy not a patch of blackberries but a virtual sea of the things trailing down a fencerow ( in the county right of way I might add. Would not want to be accused of berry poaching ) they spilled across the fence up a pond bank and covered a half mile length of fence around 200 feet deep in places. He was driving, when I saw them I made some inaudible noise I was unable to form a coherent sentence, that alarmed him to slam on the brakes and investigate. Perhaps I saw a stray tool box or a log chain he might be interested in. I had nothing to put them in I was unprepared! Quickly he found a 5 gallon bucket in the back dumped his tools out of it and even had a spare pair of boots to lend me (its flip flop weather in Texas) good thing he has small feet, yanked the door open and said get to picking baby. 3 hours and 5 gallons later we are back on the road thinking gosh we can do a lot with this haul. I love free food, hedgerow harvest is so much fun when you hit the jackpot. Thank you Lord.
Old 04-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Better than winning the lottery! (No taxes) Good for you guys.

The wild blackberries around here are scrawny and seedy. I'm sure I spend more calories twirling a berry back and forth around in my mouth trying to isolate all the stoney seeds to spit out than I take in swallowing the meager pulp. But the flavor is intense. A new weight loss diet maybe?
Old 04-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Sugarfoot, you are lucky indeed. Congrats.
It will be most of the summer here before berries are ready. The wild Saskatoons and a kind of high bush cherry is what is most abundant here.

The Saskatoon is a dark blueberry kind of thing that is stand alone or very compatible with other things. The cherry is much like a Nan King type, softer, a wee bit sweeter and goes well with things similar to it. Both these and other fruits are very abundant and somewhat reasonable priced in the lower part of the province, but a major trip.

Biggest competition for wild berries here are bears. NOT an issue to be taken lightly. Enjoy
Old 04-27-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Better than winning the lottery! (No taxes) Good for you guys.

The wild blackberries around here are scrawny and seedy. I'm sure I spend more calories twirling a berry back and forth around in my mouth trying to isolate all the stoney seeds to spit out than I take in swallowing the meager pulp. But the flavor is intense. A new weight loss diet maybe?
Diet? I spent the first hours scolding him to put more in the bucket than his mouth. He probably consumed a good gallon!
Old 04-27-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Sugarfoot, you are lucky indeed. Congrats.
It will be most of the summer here before berries are ready. The wild Saskatoons and a kind of high bush cherry is what is most abundant here.

The Saskatoon is a dark blueberry kind of thing that is stand alone or very compatible with other things. The cherry is much like a Nan King type, softer, a wee bit sweeter and goes well with things similar to it. Both these and other fruits are very abundant and somewhat reasonable priced in the lower part of the province, but a major trip.

Biggest competition for wild berries here are bears. NOT an issue to be taken lightly. Enjoy
Are those maybe like a currant?
Old 04-28-2017, 02:50 AM

Like a currant..... I have no idea..
Sadly, I hate to have to admit it... But other than the bushes that grow in the yard, I'm hard pressed to tell one berry bush from another out in the bush.. Wildcat, my sweetie, significant other, knows all this so when she says "stop here" I do. She can spot a berry bush a kilometer out in the bush from the road. I also do the ladder climbing if that is necessary to harvest something.

Processing fruits here usually entails parts of 3 days. Part of a day to prepare, a full day of canning, part of a day to finish clean up. But then we make a years supply of jam, jelly, bulk pie filling, you name it until out of fruit. We use these items for ourselves, gifts and treats, for family and friends.. Even for barter for other stuff.. We have bartered for labor, local honey, and some hay. Our season is short, so it can be a very intense effort at times.