BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:14 AM
Master Pontificator

Default 3 broody hens

i got 3 broody hens trying to hatch out 3 clutches of eggs, wadanotte bantams (i think, they are small black bantams and i think they are wadanotte). one of them just took a large shit in the nest and its smeared on 3 eggs. that hen got really pissed off when i removed that clump of shit and wiped off the eggs.

my question, should i remove those eggs now that they are contaminated (i think i did an ok job cleaning them but still might be contaminated), or is it still possible they will become chicks?

first time having broody hens, have 25 buff orpingtons on order that arrive in 3 weeks, and the 3 broodies will hatch their clutches within a few days of that arrival, so in about 3 weeks i could potentially have over 50 chicks. added a group of wadanotte bantams to the flock 2 months ago (paid $10 per hen, $5 per rooster), and got a few other misc chickens from 2 backyard flocks that people gave up on (too much work, they didn't want to be bothered with them, year old tractor supply stock, bantams and road island reds, and a few white leghorns)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:51 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

There's a protective coating on eggs that seals out most bacteria.
I'd not worry about cleaning the eggs.

After the first week or so you may want to "candle" them to see if they are developing.

It's easier to do that at night.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Master Pontificator

i know about the protective coat, i never wash eggs because i have no refrigeration, didn't know if the high amount of shit on those eggs was a problem. i do plan to candle them about half way through. the nests were actually outside in different places, but not well hidden (had a RIR go broody last year, and a raccoon got it the first night, before i found the nest, only found it because of the feather trail leading from the nest of broken eggs). not letting that happen again so when a hen isn't accounted for durring the evening head count i check the known outdoor nests. when i found one on a nest i waited till it was dark then relocated it to a large plastic tote with plenty of room (about 5 square foot area) with chicken netting over top, and put the broody box inside the cabin where it would be safe. relocated the nest and eggs into the bin and put a cup of water and cup of scratch in each bin. i clean up any shit partly for the sanitation in the box and so i don'tsmell it inside the cabin (clean up at night)