BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 AM

Default UN-RIPENED GRAPE JELLY-CRAZY

My husband found a good location to hedgerow harvest grapes, good domesticated ones and was telling his mother about it. She then tells him about his grandmother picking un-ripened grapes or "green" grapes and making jelly out of them. Intrigued and always willing to try something new he picks 4 gallons of green un-ripened grapes that were hard as a rock. I being the sceptic went along unsure as to how this was going to turn out. After 5 hours of marathon jelly making I'll be darned if that wasn't some of the very best jelly I ever et. Made me wonder why in the world do we wait till they are ripe and have to race to can it before it spoils. This yielded aprox 40 jars of jelly. It set up almost immediately too because of the high natural pectin. I began digging trying to figure out what in the world gave the grandma this idea and I found it in a recipe book from 1912. A few more years we might have missed out on this key piece of info and a good day of jelly making and fellowshipping with family. A great niece even showed up during the day we put to work learning to make green grape jelly.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:28 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

If it tastes just like jelly from ripe grapes, then that would sure help ease the load by extending your canning season.

Memtioning your 1912 cookbook- there's a lot of old knowledge we're passed by and it's still perfectly good, maybe better, than things we do today.

This site http://idnc.library.illinois.edu/cgi...xt-txIN-------
is an on-line archive of rural life periodicals from the 19th -early 20th century. Interesting bit of history and maybe useful.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Thank you for the link Doc. That is a new information source for me. I also write historical fiction and I am always looking for sources like this. I was not aware of this one. I collect old books and cookbooks if they pertain to my interest and I have an old family bible that had something written in the back pages scrawled in faint pencil that puzzled me for years. Once I had access to the internet I finally "Googled" it. It was a remedy/treatment for croup from an old ladies publication from around 150 years ago. "Equal parts of camphor spirits of wine, and hartshorn, well mixed, and rubbed upon the throat" when I first saw it I was afraid it was a hebebdy jeebidy recipe for something but then I discovered heartshorn was an herb not a horn of some animal.

Last edited by Sugarfoot; 05-23-2017 at 12:08 PM.