BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Water

Water Drinking water, wells, ponds, saving, purifying, etc.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Default Lake water

If the SHTF and your lake water gets contaminated what can you do about it?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

What would it be contaminated with? If you believe it to be bacteria or parasites, simple filters are available--or you can boil it. Bleach will kill most bacteria and iodine will kill most parasites also. If it might be chemical contamination--such as from farm or industrial runoff, the problem would be much more complex.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 PM
Master Pontificator

Don that was an excellent beginning, but you stopped short of finishing the answer.

For all of the above, but especially chemicals, filtration through one of the Berkey Water Filtration Systems should do the trick.

Having the system and several replacement filters on hand pre-need, is the second half to the equation.

Lake water would not be my first choice in a water supply, but if one does not have a well or spring, assuming community water was not or is no longer available, then water from streams, lakes, or where ever available would have to do. But any surface water is always the most suspect.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:12 PM

Bleach and filters are, of course, a good way to go except you would eventually run out either in a long term situation. (Bleach won't help in a chemical contamination, and I wouldn't trust the filters very long in a bacterial or toxic algal contamination.)

A simple still can easily be made with a metal funnel with long flexible stem (from the auto parts store). The funnel is inverted over a can of boiling water and pure water will drip out the end into your cup.

In a pinch, a cup can be placed in the center of a pan of water with a cone of plastic sheet over the pan, pointed end down over the cup. Solar power will evaporate the water; it will condense on the plastic and drip into the cup. Not meant for industrial production, but will keep you from dying of dehydration.

Just bringing water to a boil for 10-15 minutes will take care of biologic problems but not chemicals.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 AM

Thank you all.
I was just wondering, if they really wanted to do us all in food and water would be the first to hit.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:28 AM

Here you go with some justification for your fears although they may concentrate on commercial food supplies:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7747156.html
Old 05-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Plots involving poisons & biologics are the ultimate in cruelty, but not very efficient. You can't taint "the" water supply because we have multiple water supplies. Same to be said about "the" food source.

OTOH- disruption of our ability to deliver food to those unable to produce their own would be much easier. I won;t mention how here, not wanting to give any ideas away for free, but let's just say, for one thing, I think it's ridiculous how we've come to depend on computers for so many simple chores that were easily handled manually in the past.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGrandma View Post
Thank you all.
I was just wondering, if they really wanted to do us all in food and water would be the first to hit.
GGMa, were you asking about say a lake that is owned personally on private property or the nearest "public" lake?
Also I think that being "done in" would start way outside the food and water supply only because there are so many things that affect those supply chains that would be easier. People get crazy when you start cutting off almost anything these days. No doubt there has been a huge uptick in the survival and homestead mentality in this country but unfortunately I think more people are reading about it and watching tv programs on it that actually putting those things into practice. I myself have been guilty. At one point gathering supplies and information on some issue and never taking the steps to test those items or my skills left me reflecting on how far short I fell at actual preparedness when I had an emergency. For example when people buy guns and ammo but never practice shooting so they do not develop accuracy or proficiency with the weapon. Or getting rain barrels etc together and never setting up that rainwater harvesting system aaaarrrgh.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Here you go with some justification for your fears although they may concentrate on commercial food supplies:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7747156.html
I don't smoke but that really makes you wonder about what they are putting in commercially sold e-cigarette and vaping products in this country already.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Plots involving poisons & biologics are the ultimate in cruelty, but not very efficient. You can't taint "the" water supply because we have multiple water supplies. Same to be said about "the" food source.

OTOH- disruption of our ability to deliver food to those unable to produce their own would be much easier. I won;t mention how here, not wanting to give any ideas away for free, but let's just say, for one thing, I think it's ridiculous how we've come to depend on computers for so many simple chores that were easily handled manually in the past.
I did some work on terrorism after the 2001 incident, and it would be amazingly easy to virtually wipe out the meat industry in the U.S. Water supplies to the cities are often single-source, so also are vulnerable. Rural areas are much safer from contamination, both in food and water, but not completely safe. As you mentioned, transportation is also a big vulnerability since so much of the food in the "conventional pipeline" is transported great distances.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGrandma View Post
If the SHTF and your lake water gets contaminated what can you do about it?
I found a reference to a water purification system used on farms in a book written in 1909 that mentioned using 2 large flower pots (I assume terra cotta): stuff the top pot with a large sponge, and place it over or into the second pot into which you have layered charcoal, sand, and gravel. This sounds like a small-scale water filtration bed such as are used in a lot of municipal water systems. It mentioned changing or washing the top sponge (there is a second sponge in the bottom of the lower pot that keeps everything from falling out the hole) on a weekly basis. I also assume the sponges are natural sponges, since I don't think they had synthetic ones in 1909. I guess that would also be a little like the Berkey mentioned earlier.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 AM
Master Pontificator

Just a few short years ago,municipal, & rural community waters systems alike were somewhat laxadizal concerning security, but very few will be found open and unsecured, unless people are there working on something. Not all, but many have generators capable of keeping their water system powered in case of adverse weather conditions, rather than allow the system to go down and then have to be tested before powering back up.

Locks can be broken, but when that situation is found, The appropriate Law Enforcement agency is informed, and most of their people obtain waters from the same system, so they also watch the water systems facilities when making their rounds. Broken locks or chains alerts everyone to an unauthorized entry, so then audits are undertaken to determine if possible what was did. Most all the systems take threats seriously this day and age here in this area. Everyone understands the seriousness of the matter and few consider it a laughable matter any longer.

We are supplied water by two separate community water systems. In the country both houses there have a well and one has a spring. Here two children live with just a couple miles distance. We have community water only, and the youngest daughter has a well only. Our son has both community water and a well. I do have a Deep Rock Well Drilling Apparatus, and need to drill a well on our property.

Those people with only a single source of water may feel a little greater concern, but the time to address those concerns are pre-need, be it water, food, winter weather, pets, etc.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:58 PM

I have been thinking of buying some lake property and I would not want to wake up to find I could not use the water or fish from it.