BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Hi Gracie,

I think the concern is mostly that over time (a long time) non-dry foods will leach chemicals out of the plastic - you won't have that problem with dehydrated foods. Plastic also bio-degrades - especially in sunlight, and that would worry me if I were storing things outside long term.

But since you're probably storing dehydrated in vacumn bags - and probably rotating your inventory - I don't think you have anything to worry about. The plastic used in the dehydrator is "food safe"... so there's a low probability of having a problem.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
Master Pontificator

The more I think on dehydrating, seems the more questions come to mind. Thank You both, for your replies.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:54 PM

I store most of my dehydrated foods in jars.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
I store most of my dehydrated foods in jars.
I did my herbs in vaccum bags to see how that works.
Solar dried them first.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Found a farmers market where the owner was more than happy to give me his culled fruit. This weekend I did about 15lbs of cherries and 10lbs of assorted peaches, nectarines plums and apricots. I still have 20lbs of zucchini to do. Most of the fruit is just a little over ripe or a little crushed which is just fine for the dehydrator and free is one of my favorite words.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM

I dryed Yarro and plantain ... I like using it to make a suave...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
I dryed Yarro and plantain ... I like using it to make a suave...

I think you meant salve. "The suave AlaskanGuy used salve to soothe mosquito bites".
Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM

I have parsley in the dehydrator. I need to check that...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:57 AM

Question Drying tumeric

Does anyone have experience drying tumeric? I have read that the roots need boiling first, but thinking that will take out all the goodness? I'd prefer to just slice 'em, dry 'em and grind 'em.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarksLady View Post
I think you meant salve. "The suave AlaskanGuy used salve to soothe mosquito bites".
I think I am in Love.. All men want a wooman to look after them..

Last edited by AlaskanGuy; 08-29-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 11:45 PM

I dehydrated some kale last week, I plan to try it out in soups.

I have had great success dehydrating herbs, meats (jerky), and pear slices. The only thing that has not worked is chives... I guess that's why my local spice shops only carry freeze dried chives.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:34 PM

Using my dehydrator to dry my really hot chili peppers from my garden.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Pumpkin Leather

2 yrs ago the MIL didn't want to waste a jack o lantern so she canned it. She loved the result and shared with my husband. Next day he goes out buys all the discounted pumpkins to bring home to can(we didn't raise any that year). When I arrived home the kitchen looked like a cyclone hit it and my pumpkin covered hubby couldn't wait to show me what he did on his day off. There is a lot of pumpkin in 1 pumpkin, he had a few. After canning about 10k jars he couldn't decide what to do with the rest but couldn't bear to waste it so we froze it. Back of the freezer completely forgotten till this morning when a frozen quart bag of this orange gold fell out of the upper freezer compartment and nearly amputated my bare gouty big toe. yowl.
I decided something needed to be done with that. The canned stuff made the best pumpkin pie filling hands down ever. So I am going to try to make pumpkin pie flavored fruit leathers (he likes these kind of snacks) will follow up tomorrow with the end result. I know Thanksgiving was like only 6 mos ago but some of us don't mind.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 AM
Master Pontificator

We had extremely poor results with the fruit leathers. But sliced thin and dehydrated, then ground to conserve space in the containers, the dehydrated and ground pumpkin worked excellent, for us at least.

Using once frozen pumpkin might make a slight difference, but I would not think any difference would be significant.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Just pealed them babies off the papers and going for round 2. I smeared them on a little thick about the thickness of a really thin pancake and they dehydrated to about a 2 cm thickness. worked out well. I just used my convection gas oven since I have it and have been wanting to test out fruit leathers this way. My batches are small so I don't know if it is the most economical way to do this. Operating gas oven 6hrs at 200 degrees. Did not make a real discernable difference to inside temps of house but the idea was to see how the convection oven performed at this task. I will bust out the 15 tray LEM dehydrator for the next batch that will be bigger. Why did yours not work out? Were they too wet/dry/sticky ?? I guess ground would make really good flour for breads. I wanted the leathers to put in the Mr's lunches as a healthier snack & to use that frozen stuff up. Freezing may improve results because it may have perhaps broke down the pulp in the freezing process. Ice crystals breaking molecules and sciency stuff.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:23 AM
Master Pontificator

We were using an new 9-shelf, I believe it has 9 shelves Excalibur dehydrator. The wife used the leather recipe that came with the book. Most of the loss was due to moisture & mold. We will probably never attempt dehydrating any leathers again. Just too much work for it to all go down the drain, so to speak!
Old 06-02-2017, 08:29 PM

The latest dehydrator project Wildcat has done is to dry goose eggs. Crack the egg, scramble well, place in wet stuff trays and dry. Crumble by hand, grind to a powder in the blender. Vacuum seal in canning jars and lids with the Seal-A-Meal machine jar adapter. This keeps well.

One rounded table spoon powder and three (?) table spoons water equals one large chicken egg. She only uses this in baking.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:44 PM

Oh, wow. Pumpkin pie flavored fruit leathers.

I am a diabetic and I have a sweet tooth: if I use artificial sweetener... yes. I shall try it, once I get the mess cleared up.

DD got married last Saturday, and we absolutely shredded the house getting things ready.