BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 05-13-2017, 12:17 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Bird Watching

We've always enjoyed bird watching and now that we're in a rural setting, we have a wider range of species visiting our feeders. Pretty cool.

I hadn't seen a Baltimore oriole around Chicago since I was a kid in the '50s (excepting their twice yearly visits to Sox Park). After moving here last year, we occasionally saw a couple along the road as we drove to town.

Yesterday we set out "oriole feeders" (bright orange plastic stations loaded with grape jelly). Within an hour we had 8-10 Baltimore orioles and 2 orchard orioles pull up to make use of it. And a couple curious hummingbirds snooped around today, too.

Now, the feeders are located no closer than 300 ft from the nearest stand of trees. How do these guys discover the feeders so fast? It's not like they're always flying along that route. Does one just happen upon it and then goes and tells his friends? Amazing.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:06 AM

I've wondered that too! I've been a birder for 52 years, since I was 10 years old. There is nothing I enjoy more. Amazing to have so many orioles coming to your feeder so quickly. I would love to see that. I've thought about putting one out but just never got around to it.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM

The wife and I are exact opposites in everything. We can argue about the color of the sky on any given day, but bird watching is the one thing we enjoy in common.

We put up a hummingbird feeder the next day and again, within hours, we had 3 or 4 using it.

We're located in the hill country of west/central WI-- a good deal of forest, pasture and a few row crop fields--no lakes at all and only small streams draining the hills- no actual rivers, yet we have bald eagles around here. I thought they hung around waters where they could fish?
Old 05-22-2017, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Now, the feeders are located no closer than 300 ft from the nearest stand of trees. How do these guys discover the feeders so fast? It's not like they're always flying along that route. Does one just happen upon it and then goes and tells his friends?
They are attracted to certain colors, and can spot those colors from long distances.

Birds are fairly intelligent, so they have probably learned to pay attention to where other birds go too.

They are probably flying past more often than you think, but they are just not noticeable if you aren't paying close attention.

If one shows up at the feeder then flies to a nearby tree after eating and starts to sing, it can attract others too.

Let one Blue Jay spot a Rat Snake in a tree and in a few minutes there will be a flock of them screaming their heads off.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post

Birds are fairly intelligent, so they have probably learned to pay attention to where other birds go too.

That's for sure.

The feeders will have a few stragglers or no activity at all for longer periods, then suddenly, intermittent bouts of extreme activity. It's not unusual to have 30 individuals from 8 different species all show up at once like their GreyHound Bus just pulled in for a rest stop in the desert.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:10 PM

We had seen very few Finches even with feeders out.
We switched to a feeder with mesh bags and the Gold Finches and the House Finches suddenly flocked to it.
It is a plain white mesh sock with no color and yet they found it.
I think they are nesting right now because the number of birds has dropped. We did have over 25 birds visiting at once but now it's just 5 or 6 at a time.
Those little birds can eat an amazing amount of Niger(thistle) seed.
They call it black gold of bird food for a reason.
$52 for a 25 pound bag. I found it at Dell's farm supply for $32 a bag.
Not a lot of success getting the humming birds to feed. Just 1 or 2 every once in awhile.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:33 PM

House finches remain regular visitors here. Goldfinches were abundant all winter, but these past few weeks have only showed up irregularly.

We've tried those finch socks too. Only the finches use them and they're pricey. Now we just put out oil seeds and everybody, including three species of woodpeckers, seem to love them.

Red breasted grossbeaks have been regulars this spring and four males and two females just showed up at the same time.

Blue birds were abundant at the feeders until December, then disappeared. They're back in the area now but aren't using the feeders.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Blue Jays and Red Headed woodpeckers have been abundant here as of late. Only saw a couple of Purple Martins this season. (No houses out yet). Wood ducks are visiting the creek. Hawks hawks and more hawks, must have been a good year for them the juvenile's are abundant.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:39 PM

Those darn bird feeders can become somewhat of an obsession. Think I'm up to 9 now counting 2 hummingbird sippers. BTW, those little hummers can be down right nasty to each other at the feeders--one seems to think it is his/her private domain and all others must stay away.

Right now the cardinals and red wing blackbirds dominate. Cardinals are year round residents, and it is not unusual to have a dozen or more in the yard at a time. Past few years the RWBlackbirds were occasional visitors--this year the entire clan moved in. Gold finches are here between thanksgiving and valentines day. Know when the leave cause the niger seed feeder just stays at the same level--when they are in residence, I'll fill it twice a day. Bunch of little birds --carolina wrens, tufted titmice, and some "generic" sparrows, and three types of dove most all year round. One is an "exotic" --the Eurasian collared dove which is nearly the size of a pigeon. No hunting restrictions on exotics here in Texas --just not hungry enough to shoot anything at all (cept some snakes stealing eggs from the chicken coop, and that copperhead I damn near grabbed while weeding the garden) these days.

Another thing about feeding all those birds--the squirrels flock around also. Have dozens of nice fat ones, but I've had to take some effort to keep them off of the seed feeders cause they can empty one in minutes. Like having the little buggers running around though, and they keep my little yard dog busy.

Love sitting on the front porch rocker and watch real reality TV --The set in the house only ever gets turned on when my lady friend shows up for a few days. For some reason, she needs the noise

JVC
Old 06-03-2017, 03:59 PM

Just sitting here cooling off from weedeating the inside of ponddam. There is a group of 10 Cow birds prancing around. I think they are the males. acting stupid for some lady near by.

Above that we have all the same ones you folks see. I am up to 16 kinds this year. That counting the vultures that come to the coon pit. Seems more than usual this year.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-03-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriFree View Post
... That counting the vultures that come to the coon pit. Seems more than usual this year.
That's cuz you're another year older now-- they're anticipating a big meal soon

JV: all the birds seem to have a pecking order when it comes to polite manners around the feeders.

When it comes to meanness, I saw a RW Blackbird pecking the snot out of a huge vulture the other day, pestering it over the course of a half mile until they were out of sight beyond the rise.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
That's cuz you're another year older now-- they're anticipating a big meal soon
Afraid you might me right.
Quote:
Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching.
Keeps you young.

Quote:
JV: all the birds seem to have a pecking order when it comes to polite manners around the feeders.
Ain't that the truth. They all have personalities if you are lucky enough to have time to watch.
Bluebirds . They are pretty noisy birds. I come down stair in morning and have coffe. They come up light on the window screen to see who is about . After about 3-4 minute o guess they satisfied and fly away.

Cardinals are very timid and run from everybody.

Mourning doves ( we have about a 10 here all summer). They are one of only two birds that keep an eye on the window and look thru. The other is a couple of crows that's have decided they like black oil sunflower seeds. They watch thru the the window and take off at any movement.

I have also decided red headed woodpeckers are pretty stupid. They come get a seed and take to a spot on the tree, hammer it in And go back to get another while another bird swopes in and take the seed the wood pecker just placed. I have watch then go on for 25 minutes straight .

Quote:
When it comes to meanness, I saw a RW Blackbird pecking the snot out of a huge vulture the other day, pestering it over the course of a half mile until they were out of sight beyond the rise.
Have see same thing. Crows do it vultures also .

Last edited by MissouriFree; 06-06-2017 at 09:10 AM.