BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

The flu vaccine is probably the most dangerous of the vaccines since it is developed in just a few months every year, and they miss the significant virus 80% of the time. I got the flu vaccine every year until about 1998, when I got very sick several days following the injection. I have not gotten one since. As I said above, some vaccines are beneficial, but many are not and we vaccinate our kids against a number of illnesses to which they may never be exposed. I have always been puzzled by vaccinating newborns against Hepatitis B. If the mother is vaccinated or immune, her titer should inactivate any vaccine given. I suspect that one at least is financially motivated. Two things have increased to correspond with the increase in autism--vaccinations and prenatal ultrasounds. When ultrasounds started to become more common, a physician (radiologist) told me that we would not know if there were any associated risks for at least 20 years. That was 36 years ago. Almost every parent I have met with an autistic child has associated the development of autism with a vaccination incident. I think the increase in autism is due to the number of vaccinations rather than a specific vaccine. I have no knowledge of an association between Alzheimer's and flu vaccines, but I would not be surprised if it were so. The problem in connecting them is that there are so many misdiagnoses of Alzheimer's and there are so few autopsies performed these days that it would be a tough thing to correlate. Almost any dementia these days is called Alzheimer's whether there is evidence of plaque development or not.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
I DO however, believe that we vaccinate our children against far too many diseases that they will most likely never be exposed to, and there is a big money factor in that process.
Very true.

In regards getting the flu: the common cold (rhino virus) and influenza can be confused. The flu shot does prevent the majority of episodes of the flu in most recipients.

People who claim to get the flu after vaccination are either getting a mild immune response invoked by the shot (fever, runny nose, muscle aches are caused by the interferon we produce ourselves as part of the activated immune response) or have coincidentally contacted the common cold (probably by sitting around the doctor's contaminated waiting room while waiting to get the flu shot )
Old 07-04-2017, 05:47 PM

My "anecdotal study" was simply based on total "sick calls" among the vaccinated vs. unvaccinated. People were counseled to not come to work if they displayed "flu-like" symptoms. Although malingering was not common in the group, it could have happened. No verification of the illness type was done, but this was not a typical lay group--most would know the difference between flu-like and the common cold. They basically lived in a "doctor's office", so there was a good deal of exposure. My reaction was not flu-like, and has excused me from flu vaccines ever since. I also think that medical professionals of all types avoid reporting vaccine reactions--they are much more common than reported. I have had two serious reactions that I believe were vaccine-related, but neither were reported by the vaccinators.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:05 PM
Master Pontificator

I strongly suspect reports are made according to the emphasis it has towards financial benefits either negatively or positively. In some cases there may be no benefits effected and for some reporters it might not matter, but for the majority, I say follow the finances.

Knowing something and proving it where there are so many variables, especially where humans are involved, becomes a monumental undertaking. I had a similar incident back in the mid 90's as what you described, Don, although it was not the result of an injection. I went to the emergency room and saw an Allergist for the next couple of years, because of the problem, but no one wants to agree, because of getting caught in the middle of a law suit.

Not reporting the matter is the simple solution, since the patients beliefs, regardless of all the circumstantial evidence possible, does not make proof positive. I even had one of the physicians, tell me, "Even though this matter looks suspicious, we don't know all the facts, and can't say for certain that was the case." I understand their position, but it certainly does not reduce the patients pain, anxiety & expense suffered during one of these incidents.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:34 AM

The problem with proving medical effects is that it's all based on statistics, and statistics only apply to the group and not to the individual.

Eg: suppose we take 1000 Americans and give them Vit C for a year. After the test period, we will surely find no health benefits unless some of them happen to have started out with scurvy-- highly unlikely in modern day Americans..

And even if one of them did have scurvy, his improvement in health would have been lost as random variation -- he's just 1 in 1000. We would have to incorrectly conclude that Vit C is not needed for good health.

Suppose you're a .400 hitter and we need a hit to win the game. It's your turn to bat. What are the chances you get the hit? Your .400 average is kind of meaningless here because you can't get 4/10ths of a hit in this At Bat. Your average only has meaning for a group of ABs.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 PM

That was the point of my disclaimer: this info only applied to this group of people--folks 25-60 years of age and generally in good health. No elderly, very young or high-risk people were included in the group. This study was only to evaluate the value of flu shots in a small population group. There was one asthmatic in the group who fell within the vaccinated population, but otherwise there were no chronic diseases or high-risk individuals in the group. My point was/is that I question the value of healthy, low-risk individuals receiving repeated vaccinations for diseases that don't pose a significant risk.

The vaccine folks admit that they only hit the significant virus about 20% of the time, but maintain that everyone should get the vaccine every year for generalized immunity and herd immunity purposes. If you get the shots every year, they say that eventually you will have some immunity to every strain and mutation.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:09 PM

I know what you're saying. And it's further complicated for the flu shot in that it doesn't give you lasting immunity: it's only good for about 3-4 months, so anxious people who get it in Sept won't be covered for flu season-- Jan to March.-- and no lasting immunity like the natural disease would give you.