BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Plants > Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees

Farm/ Garden/Flowers/ Shrubs/ Trees If it grows in the soil, this is the forum.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Differences in torches?

Is there a difference between the American-made $250 Red Dragon torches and the $60 knockoffs? I always try to buy American-made stuff when I can, but the price difference here seems a bit extreme. Maybe you can get the Red Dragon torches cheaper where you are. I would like to hear from anyone who has used the cheapies and the Red Dragons and find out if there is a real difference. I really would like a walk-behind set on wheels that is 2 or 3 torches wide. I once saw one that someone had built in Farm-Tek, but when I tried to find it again, it was gone...maybe patent infringement or something. Red Dragon has a 5-torch deal that is both too wide for me and too expensive at roughly $1000 plus shipping.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 PM

I looked at the Red Dragon web sight. It appears for instance the Red Dragon model is 500,000 btu and the Weed Dragon is 100,000 btu. Yes.. The row crop burners are very big and likely expensive. Even the smaller orchard model may or may not adapt to a small row crop use, but likely still expensive.

I also have seen homemade small tractor, small farm units that likely used burner parts and such like Red Dragon advertises. My guess is it will be hard to keep the initial cost of a unit down a whole lot.
Don't remember what small tractor forum I saw this kind of unit on.

I had a local farm store Weed Dragon hand unit I got at a garage sale. I used an old golf bag cart to haul a propane bottle on. It worked well the few times and few places I could use it.
===
Suggestions...
Greentractortalk dot com
Mytractor dot com
Tractorbynet dot com (?)
Old 07-15-2017, 03:16 PM

The weeds can't tell any difference in brands.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
The weeds can't tell any difference in brands.
That is what I was wondering--what is the difference??? My el cheapo torch does a pretty good job, but I was wondering if the more expensive torch would do even better. I can't afford the tractor-mounted torches, and they wouldn't "do the job" except in the spring when nothing is planted. I thought perhaps that someone here would have had experience with both the "name brand" torches and the "knock-offs" and could tell me if there was any difference.