BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Self-Reliance & Preparedness > Financial > Jobs/Business/Investing

Jobs/Business/Investing Anything about earning money, investing, or other financial issue.

Old 06-21-2016, 01:24 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Wow! Glad to hear the trip went well, but the time in the airport gave me chills up my arms! I don't see how you can relate it so calmly! I would have freaked out!

While all this work is a good thing, are you able to spend enough time working on the homestead? I always find that it's feast or famine, never a nice steady, even keel.

Glad to hear that things are going so well!
I wouldn't have been so calm if people were running, yelling, and screaming but it was kind of a surreal quiet tense - no panic. .. OR ... if a second one went off ...

It is feast or famine with the homestead, for sure.

The first 9 months, when I was making virtually $0, I was concerned about spending any money on the homestead. So I pretty much just cleared land and . .. umm, hunted\fished a lot.

Now, have some $$ coming in, but my schedule is getting so busy - not much time to actually work up there.

We did contract work out to have a full gravel road built. I was going to do that myself with my little tractor, but a small local company gave us what I thought was a very good quote - and they did a job that is significantly better than what my hack job would have been.

Thanks for replying and asking!
Old 03-13-2017, 02:46 AM

Well, it has officially been two years since I have created this solo company.

It looks like it will no longer be a solo company in the next three months. Possible sub-contract for account management in CA with a guy that I met through my BIL. Looking at employing a full time employee in Wi.

Of course, still a lot of ifs and buts, but things are moving forward, and cash flow is acceptable.

Working on starting up a real research lab in N MN by Fall. One investor for sure, maybe another. By the end of the year, hope to be employing 3 people.

This was a real stretch for me, but it seems like things continue to come together.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:09 AM

Congrats on your success!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Congrats on your success!
Thanks, I'm really nervous about hiring the first full time employee though. The Person is really taking a risk, based on a startup thing. Figure it will also help me focus and stay attentive at my own tasks... heh.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:46 AM

Default My position was eliminated for a 2nd time today

Time for a change. Major life change.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2uniform View Post
Time for a change. Major life change.
2nd time? Same company?

What are you thinking of doing? What is your experience and work passion?

Sorry to hear, but every time for me, it has stretched me, and I have grown - good luck Bro!
Old 04-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Master Pontificator

Glad to hear that things are progressing nicely, Kachad!

Sorry to hear about the job situation, Bravo, but turn it into a positive by trying something new, or if there is something that's been brewing in your mind for awhile, this may be the time to try it. Good luck either way!
Old 07-10-2017, 04:50 AM

First Full Time Sales rep hired. Have a monthly retainer form a client that covers his Salary, plus $700\month for benefits, and a little left over for overhead. Doesn't cover my time managing him, but commission with success is the investment.

Also hired my Daughter for IT, part time. Part time hourly is higher than what she makes for the FT job. Extra money for her, and cheaper than hiring contract IT. Considering she was a meth head 3 years ago, it's a win-win situation. Didn't want to toss her money, but this way she can earn cash, with flexible hours.

Downside is that I was very stressed out, when spending 5 days in China attempting to convince an Investor that R&D has value, but that's another story.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfootfarm View Post
BRIC stands for Brazil, Russia, India & China

If anyone searches for BRIC, you likely won't show on the first page, or maybe even the second

There are also several other established businesses and organizations using that acronym and using BRIC Inc

Bigfork Research sounds better to me

Hope it all works out
I owe you another bottle of good Bourbon. Confirm that your address is the same, will send one out. Some day, would like to share a drink with you, Sir.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachad View Post
I owe you another bottle of good Bourbon. Confirm that your address is the same, will send one out. Some day, would like to share a drink with you, Sir.
p.s. I am in the process of purchasing a building in Bigfork, MN for a laboratory. The only problem that I have, is that people think the name is Big Fork vs. Bigfork. Obviously, not River People.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 PM
Master Pontificator

Sounds like your business has come a long way in a short time. Congrats on the growth! And good for you, hiring your daughter for IT work. It is always better for people to earn their own money, than to have it given to them, no matter what the issues may be. Builds self esteem and self worth, and we can all use more of those!
Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Sounds like your business has come a long way in a short time. Congrats on the growth! And good for you, hiring your daughter for IT work. It is always better for people to earn their own money, than to have it given to them, no matter what the issues may be. Builds self esteem and self worth, and we can all use more of those!
Thanks! She's been doing a great job, makes a Father proud.