BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Homesteading

Homesteading Talk or ask questions about homesteading in general, your homestead, or any other related topic.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:29 PM
Master Pontificator

Default Vultures

I'm looking for some advice, but I'll give you a brief idea of what's been going on.

Earlier this summer, something got into my garden and destroyed all my broccoli, so hubby put out a have a heart trap. We caught a coon and a few days later a groundhog. After dispatching the groundhog, hubby threw it into the hedgerow, not far from the garden. Later that night I noticed that the vultures had found the carcass and pulled it out into the field for easier access. Didn't think too much about it.

Since then, I have found a vulture sitting on the house, barn or shed roof numerous times. I've also found him sitting on the fence by the chickens and in the chicken yard eating the pellets. The chickens don't seem to mind having him around, but I try to shoo him off anyway.

Today, he comes back with 4 of his buddies. Now this is getting ridiculous! I try to shoo them off and get within 10 feet of them before they move away. We haven't had anything dead around here since the groundhog, so I don't know why they are hanging around. I would like to get them to leave as having them hanging around creeps me out and annoys the old dog who is too feeble to do anything about them.

So, how do I convince them to go away and stay away. I don't know why they keep coming back, but I really want them gone. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:45 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

So..... From my prospective as an old guy, as long as they aren't pointing at me, and waving there buddies over at the same time.. I think I'd be good to go. (snicker)
--
The best things I can think of are to not feed your chickens anything outside. Basically, do leave anything out that would be an attractant. Dog, cat food, offending critter carcass, you get the idea.

If you can/need use it, taking pot shots at them with a pellet rifle to discourage them. They are big and tough enough to withstand a pellet or BB gun hit and not be wounded, just bruised. If you are remote enough to use a 22 or 12ga.... Well that is your decision if needed.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:48 PM

This brings to mind the problem a 24 hr-convenience store had a while back-- before cell phones--when they had a public pay phone in the parking lot. It seems it got to be a popular hang out for teenagers. The proprietor tried all sorts of things, unsuccessfully, to get rid of them. He finally struck on a good plan: he played classical music over the PA system. They left and never returned.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:33 AM
Master Pontificator

vutures get a bad rep, they are actually not that bad, but they are like hobos, if free food is found they tend to loiter around. hide the food any eventually they will leave.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:39 PM

I think it is against the law to kill them so I would not shoot them. But I would spray them with a water hose. After awhile I bet they will go away. Stopped the next door neighbors dog from barking at my dads house. He would always bark when they went in the back yard on one of my visits home I started squirting him with the hose. Took about three days and he was broke.
Old 08-04-2017, 07:08 PM
Master Pontificator

Thanks for the suggestions. I was out watering the garden the other morning when they flew in and got two of them with water from the hose. Didn't seem to phase them too much as they have been back every day since. Unfortunately, most of the time when I see them I'm no where near a hose, so trying to do this consistently for a few days isn't practical.

There isn't anything dead around here, but I have hope that they may leave soon as I saw a deer that had been hit on the road last night a few miles from here, so I'm hoping they move on. I won't shoot at them, someone told me it was illegal and I don't think the neighbors would be happy with me.

They are actually kind of pretty. They don't have the bald heads of the usual vultures found around here. They are completely gray, with a gray ruff of feathers on their necks and a big patch of yellow or white on their wings when they are outstretched. If they would stay away from the chickens, I wouldn't care so much. I pick up any feed each night but my chickens eat outdoors year round, under the coop, so I can't remove that.

Just have to see how it goes, I guess. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2017, 04:23 PM

If they aren't bothering anything, why worry. Though they will grab small live animals (chicks, kittens, puppys).
Around here vulture commonly roast and sun themselves without anything being dead. If they are not doing anything wrong i wouldnt worry about them
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Master Pontificator

Guess you're right papa bear. Specially since there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about it. We don't have any animals that are that small or young, so as long as they leave my chickens alone I'm ok with them hanging around.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Around my place there are two kinds of vultures-- red and black heads.

The red-headed turkey vultures are nice guys. They loiter over my cabin and surrounding ridges. They play with my collie. I've shot a coyote at sunrise and had them camped over the carcass by 10. They're the good ones.

The black-headed ones are blackards. They have much larger flocks. They'll kill a live calf. They're recent intruders into our area. They came to Northern KY from down Miissouri way. They are a scourge.

I am prone to taking afternoon naps outdoors, especially in the spring during turkey season. Just about every time I take a nap, I have vultures circling me. The red-headed turkey vultures are just curious and maintain a decent height. The black ones are impatient and will try and force the issue. A couple of years ago, I fell asleep around 2 PM and around 3:30 I woke up with something big and dark passing over my head. It turned out it was one of those black vultures making a low pass-- a little over 4 feet over my head. I woke up and 2 dozen of them bastids flew out of the surrounding trees.

Last edited by dorfdimpaler; 08-07-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 PM

"If you can/need use it, taking pot shots at them with a pellet rifle to discourage them. They are big and tough enough to withstand a pellet or BB gun hit and not be wounded, just bruised."
I guarantee a pellet from my pellet rifle will penetrate the feathers and skin of any buzzard, anywhere in the world. And if it doesn’t kill it outright, the buzzard will die a slow, agonizing death.For that matter, even shooting a buzzard with my little, 40 year old Daisy BB gun might result in accidentally putting out its eye, breaking its beak, or lodging a BB under the buzzard’s skin somewhere.Again – slow, agonizing death.
You don’t shoot living things to wound (bruise) them. Dad drilled that rule into me well over a half century ago.
If you’re going to shoot a living creature, any living creature, shoot it with something powerful enough to kill it outright. Otherwise, obey the first and most important rule of gun safety; NEVER point a gun at anything you do not intend to destroy.That rule applies to pellet and BB guns too.
BTW, in Idaho (where I live) hunting forest grouse with air guns, aka pellet/BB guns, is perfectly legal during season. But I’ll bet if an LEO saw you shooting at a bird of prey, such as a buzzard, with an air gun, you’d be paying a hefty, and well deserved fine
Old 08-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Master Pontificator

Don't worry MMJim. I would never aim at anything I didn't intend to kill and I don't intend to kill these vultures. Haven't seen them at all today, so maybe they've moved on.

I'm more of a live and let live kind of gal, as long as they aren't threatening my livestock or destroying my garden.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Don't worry MMJim. I would never aim at anything I didn't intend to kill and I don't intend to kill these vultures. Haven't seen them at all today, so maybe they've moved on.

I'm more of a live and let live kind of gal, as long as they aren't threatening my livestock or destroying my garden.

That's good. Thank you!