BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Old 06-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default soft peaches

Had a super crop of "small peaches" (should have thinned much more than I did), and while processing for freezing, there were many too soft (ripe) to peel or cut up. Soooo- being the genius that I am, I dumped them into a large stock pot, cooked them down for a couple of days, and after straining have about 6-8 quarts of liquid. It is not a clear liquid in that the strainer I used had roughly 3/16-1/4inch holes, (more of a colander) so some pulp made it through.

My question is---what can I do with this stuff???
any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
JVC
Old 06-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Peach schnapps? Pig food? Put it in bird feeder for hummingbirds/orioles? I wouldn't a boiled it down--just blended it and made it into jelly.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:28 AM

Next year, when you thin the trees, put the small green thinnings into a solution of vodka and sugar. Leave them in the solution for six weeks, then dilute to taste and strength. If you limit the sugar initially, you can always add more. If you add a lot of sugar, you get a syrupy liqueur. Less sugar gives you something more like a wine after dilution. I used to do this with most of the thinnings from my trees of soft fruits, such as peaches, plums, apricots, etc. It was something I learned many years ago from a Japanese family and is the origin of Akadama plum "wine" if any of you have had that.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 PM

well thanks for that Don, though I'll probably pass on doing it. I could most likely make some sort of fermented beverage with the stuff I now have in the frig, but since being sober for 27+years now, I suspect it will wind up in the compost, or pored around some young trees as a liquid fertilizer.

Doc--are you saying that by blending the soft peaches with skin still on can be used for jelly/jam???? Every recipe I looked at suggested skinning the peaches first.

I've been gardening on and off since the early 70's, but this is the first time I've managed to grow some fruit trees--new learning curve coming up

JVC
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 PM

Congrats on the sobriety. I would never want to temp anyone who has had trouble. I don't think Doc has answered yet, but I don't see why it could not be used for jelly, as all the skins would be filtered out by the bag.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:42 AM

Can the mixture. It's high acid, add some sugar and some cinnamon to taste. Use it for topping on vanilla ice cream. Peach pies.....