BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals > Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control

Wild/Feral/Nuisance/Control Please...no posts about Barney, Kermit, Miss Piggie, etc.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default question

has anyone heard of or known of squirrels getting into the nestboxes and breaking/eating eggs??? Have recently started having an issue with these broken eggs, and since there are a lot of squirrels feasting on the scratch I throw out, I'm just wondering if they might be the culprit, or need I look elsewhere??

JVC
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 AM

This may be a hard one... I would divide this into two ways to test.

When you find a reasonably fresh broken egg, or take an egg and break it. Fill liberally with cayenne pepper powder. If chickens are breaking eggs and eating them, you will find chickens in the shade all fluffed up to work off the hot pepper in there system. Band them for positive ID and cull to the frying pan. (pre seasoned ? chuckle) Chickens have no taste buds.

Set a small live trap where the chickens can't get to it. Bait with fresh salted in the shell peanuts. You will get the squirrels. Dispatch or relocate squirrels far enough from home they won't beat you back.

One of these will, should help isolate who is breaking and consuming eggs. It may take a bit to isolate.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:26 PM

Hi Tim, Thanks for the response. Only have a small flock--5 hens --which supply me with all the eggs I need and many more. Long ago, I would butcher chickens and other animals, but no longer. I take my goats to a processing plant these days, and have no desire to cull my chickens, although your suggestion with the pepper would be a good way to determine if it is one of the hens or not.

As for trapping the squirrels--I literally have hundreds of them running around the place. I keep about 8 wild bird feeders out, and while I've managed to keep the squirrels out of them, they spend a lot of time under the feeders picking up spill, and enjoy the hen scratch also. So many squirrels, my yard dogs have basically given up the chase, although give the occasional half hearted attempt just to keep them (the squirrels) half way honest. May be a squirt of hot sauce would stop a guilty squirrel if that is the case.

JVC