BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-22-2017, 02:48 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Solar Eclipse August 2017 ??

So.... Who could see the solar eclipse ??

News saying it was only about a 2 minute maximum duration where it was the most visible.

Anyone see it ?? Location ?? What time ?? How long ??

Nothing visible through the overcast here in the northern Canadian bush.

Got a story ?? Details ?? Give it up..
Old 08-22-2017, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
So.... Who could see the solar eclipse ??

News saying it was only about a 2 minute maximum duration where it was the most visible.

Anyone see it ?? Location ?? What time ?? How long ??

Nothing visible through the overcast here in the northern Canadian bush.

Got a story ?? Details ?? Give it up..
My Buddy and I left on Sunday morning from the Twin Cities in MN, drove to a National Forest recreation area in Nebraska, about 1.5 - 2 hours north of optimal viewing.

Found a campsite close to a beach by a reservoir, had the area completely to ourselves. Woke up early, started heading south to the center of the eclipse area. For the first two hours it was complete fog.

Right at the optimal spot, there was a Rancher family that opened up a wide open rolling grazing area. Went past there to the small town, which was actually busy. We were going to find a spot N of town, to watch it in solitude - but decided to go to the grazing area.

There were about 40-50 cars there, and they charged $10 a head to get in. People were spread out quite a bit, so we decided to go there.

Glad we did, as it was nice having a loose-communal experience.

It was partly cloudy, with a front coming in. But, it was completely clear around the eclipse.

It was ..... well, words don't give it justice. Perfect.

p.s. Just got home, about 22 hours of driving within about a 40 hour time span .. but we would do it again .. in a heartbeat.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM

I was at the east end of Nebraska about an hour north of total. They said our area would be 98.5%. We had some light clouds, but you could see the sun at all times. Seeing pictures from spots that were at total, that 1.5% must make a big difference because I didn't think it got very dark. At peak I couldn't see my shadow, but I was shooting video and taking pictures of the sun with one camera, while shooting video of me fishing with another camera. When I got home and looked at the fishing videos it was hard to tell a lot of difference between the videos right at the peak and those 20 or 30 minutes earlier.

I was in a state park doing my fishing and had a group of 4 people near me that had driven down from Minnesota. I don't know, but if I was them and drove that far, I'd of gone the extra hour and been at total. But then maybe they were like me and thought 98.5% would be good too.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Master Pontificator

We live in southern Ontario, and we had a partial eclipse here. It was weird - for about an hour it still looked sunny outside, but dim. We had to turn the lights on inside the house. The kids and I didn't have any special glasses or anything, but we used a pinhole in a piece of paper to project the sun's image onto another piece of paper. It totally looked like a crescent.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter88 View Post

I was in a state park doing my fishing and had a group of 4 people near me that had driven down from Minnesota. I don't know, but if I was them and drove that far, I'd of gone the extra hour and been at total. But then maybe they were like me and thought 98.5% would be good too.
I agree, you drive that far, why not go the extra hour and hit the total?

They might have been nervous about The Horde or something, but, heck .. it's Nebraska right? How bad could it have been? (and it wasn't ... at least where we were .. plenty of space, etc.. )
Old 08-22-2017, 11:39 PM

East end of the state was a little tougher. A guy I know said a 45 minute drive took him 2 hours in the morning.

The sandhills where you went would be the perfect place. There's one county out there, I believe Hooker County, that has one town in it and the population of that town is under 200 people. Lots more cows then people in the sandhills of Nebraska.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 AM

Default Mostly

It was a partial here. About 90% from what I saw. You could just tell the sky was dimmer, but with clouds rolling over that obscured it somewhat.

Funny thing, I have 3 welding helmets. The cheap one that came with the welder worked best !
Old 08-23-2017, 01:11 AM
Master Pontificator

It was a big to-do over nothing here. Mostly cloudy and that was about all that was seen here. I brought my white German Shepherd in, not that I really believe she was in any great danger of being blinded by the eclipse, but she really loved being inside for the day!
Old 08-23-2017, 05:28 AM

Hazy sky here-- you could almost look at the sun without eye protection. We glanced at it with welding mask occasionally as we continued to work on constructing the house. They said it was ~75% at our location- minimal change in light level, but it was that weird, indirect lighting visual effect. Horses & dogs didn't seem to notice anything different.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

A small group of us from my job reserved rooms in Anna Ill. on the 29th of August in 2016. It was total there. Carbondale had a big to do on the campus (SIU) and we avoided all of that madness..

I made a video and will post it on YouTube when I have time..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChJ...YfT3mOl8S8vb5A
*Robert Frost*

Last edited by 12vman; 08-27-2017 at 12:55 AM.