BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:33 AM

Default I think it's called Survivor Benefits.

Something like that anyway, I'm taking care of my wife of more than 40 years. Her health at present is not good. She requires medication every 4 hours.

We have a comfortable life together but I wonder what will happen with her pension from 26 years working at a hospital near by. I have a small monthly social security check that went into our joint bank account. But her income carried most of the load. I will seem sort of crass to ask the admin people if they will stop her pension at her passing into the next set of changes.

Does anyone know anything about this subject.

I realize each company is different but there must be some
Old 08-12-2017, 01:53 AM
Master Pontificator

There are a lot of things which one needs an answer to, before any appropriate answer could be determined.

How many years was she employed by the hospital?
Was she under a retirement plan?
If so, was she vested?
Was there more than one plan to choose from?
If so, which plan did she choose?
It not covered by a company retirement plan, she should have Social Security benefits.

If your wife can not answer these questions, the Human Relations office at the hospital should be able to provide you copies of what she elected to do and answer your questions.

She may also have a life insurance policy through her employer. Making sure none of these benefits lapse is of the utmost priority.

Since I am assuming she can not work, and is not expected to recover, for the present she should be covered by The Family Medical Leave Act, passed under Bill Clinton's Administration or a disability clause, which ever is most appropriate in her case.

You really need to be checking on answers to these questions, with you wife or her employer, and quickly.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 AM

Thank you very much for the input and direction to find out more. Gotta start somewhere....

Ron
Old 08-15-2017, 03:33 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron45 View Post
I will seem sort of crass to ask the admin people if they will stop her pension at her passing into the next set of changes.
Please don't feel crass about asking the admin people about survivor benefits. It sounds like you are one Heck of a Husband, and I am sure that anyone that reviews your situation would not think twice about helping you understand the benefits.

I hope You and Your Wife enjoy as much time together as possible, and thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:59 AM
Master Pontificator

If she has an IRA, I believe .gov requires the spouse to be the beneficiary. I would certainly check with her employer about survivor benefits because for some pensions depending on choices she made it might end with her passing. For instance, if she chose to draw more for only her lifetime or she could have chosen to draw a lessor amount with survivor benefits.

Actually, now is a good time to ask questions because when the time comes that she passes your brain is not going to be functioning at top capacity. Grief does that to a person.

Find your marriage license because you will need that as proof to draw benefits.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

There is only one way to know for sure.
Ask her employer.
Her employer may not be able to tell you anything without her approval so check while she can give them the OK.
It is not crass it is the smart thing to do.
If you wait you may find out you are out of luck.