BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 PM

Default I evicted an unwanted tenant this morning...

The surge tank on my well had been showing signs of nearing the end of it's service life, so I went to the big box store and picked up a new one. Heading out to the shed to replace it this morning, I armed myself with an ax in case I encountered any Black Widows or the random Copperheaded Water Rattler.

Opening up my shed and pulling the cover off the well, I found the source of what would have been a serious problem: a possum had taken up residence against the well pump. A part of the shed wall had rotted away, and the possum had made it's way in and torn a hole in the structure surrounding the pump.

The ax suddenly seemed awfully short, so I grabbed a handy weedeater to make my argument that I was the lawful owner. He seemed unwilling to see my reason, and hid behind a propane tank. I ended up convincing him with a few chosen blows with said weedeater. He eventually got the message and left.

I replaced the surge tank and tested it all out, everything is fine. I blocked the decayed entrance to the shed with some aluminum sheets I had handy, and reassembled the housing and insulation around the well. Everything is back to normal for the moment.

The insulation I am using I bought a couple of years back -- you know the silver sun shades people use on their windshields in their cars? They always go on sale for a dollar or less about this time of year, so I picked up three or five of them and used them to insulate the well house. Not only they insulate, but they reflect the light back to the pump housing. My electric bill went down about $10-15 a month. What's even better, they don't seem to deteriorate any. I don't know what they're made of, but they look the same as when I bought them a couple of years ago. So I've got that going for me.

edit: Did I mention the smell? Maybe I shouldn't, it was bad. I mean really bad. Trust me, you don't want possums for tenants.

Last edited by Hermit; 10-24-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Glad you evicted your "tenant" without getting bitten. I haven't had to deal with possums, skunks, or raccoons for years, All we have here are small red squirrels.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:36 PM
Master Pontificator

Glad you convinced the trouble maker to leave. We have stopped feeding the barn cats unless we see them and remove the food when they are finished as we were drawing too many unwanted visitors.

Some of them were big enough to scare the dog!
Old 10-26-2017, 12:37 AM

Default Tentant eviction

I've never had to deal with a possum - but the eviction sounds well warranted (excuse the pun).

I also use those car sun reflectors for all kinds of projects in the barns. They make very good insulation.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:29 AM

I think the car windshield sun reflectors are made from Reflectix. Basically bubble wrap with Mylar coating both sides. I first discovered the stuff at an ag show in Georgia--I think it was used to keep the poultry cooler in summer as it reflected the infrared back up. I have used it extensively here for insulation in wet locations where flexible insulation is needed. You can buy it in rolls that make it easier to use than the smaller windshield reflectors if you need to cover large areas. It also is its own vapor barrier.

https://www.reflectixinc.com/product...ve-insulation/