BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Last night here was a warm up. 42 degrees at 10 pm, and 50 degrees at 7 am.

Light winds and predicted temps of low 60s meant I had to hook the new boat up and take it to the lake. Water temp of 44 degrees made the bass pretty sluggish, but I did manage to take one. Biggest thing was getting the boat out and figuring out how things were going to work.

They say Monday may be close to the same, so if it is it looks like another chance to hit the water. May try a different lake that has some nice bass, but also some nice Musky and trout that were stocked last month. Trout and Musky might like that 44 degree water better then bass.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Master Pontificator

sunny and around 40 degrees

I went from a lack of water to having too much water, the artesian well flows out at about a gallon a minute and part of the yard is now flooded. got to dig a ditch now.

generator died on me the other day, repair shop could not fix, I fried the voltage regulator and inverter because I used it to power a washing machine. they sort of worked and sort of didn't, erratic, ok for battery charging but nothing else. finally died on me the other day, so today I put up the solar panels I bought a while ago but never installed (yeah I admit to being lazy and just using the generator, procrastinating putting up the array).
Old 11-17-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryMom22 View Post
Kachad, I hope your back is feeling better soon. It stinks when there is so much to do and not a hope of getting it done.
Thanks.

It didn't get better enough for me to haul batteries, generator, or drag a deer out of the forest this weekend ....

.. so I'm consoling myself with making lasagna instead this weekend, and a bottle of wine ... well, maybe working into a second.

I'm pulling the black powder rifle out and will confirm loads and sighting over the Tday weekend, should be good to go by then.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Fired up the outside water boiler for heat today. Had been on heat pump due to medical lifting restrictions. Back to normal finally . Will probably go back to cutting hickory and oak next week . Still one or two cords. And can always use more wood chip mulch from small limbs.

Last edited by MissouriFree; 11-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:38 PM

We FINALLY got the cover on the greenhouse, and now we just need to do a couple of little things like cutting a hole for the door. WHEW! I splurged this year and got an expensive cover, which should be good for 10 years.

The cat took a nap on half of my seedlings and mashed them flat: he looked so happy and peacefull I could not scold him. I HOPED to buy cabbage seedlings at the nursery, but all they had were herbs. So I bought herbs. I now have parsley, sage, fennel, and chives as well as mint.

Well, the point of growing greens in the winter is to perk up the crunchy water that goes under the name of "lettuce", and herbs can do that as well. Cabbage eaves torn up and added would do it better, but at least the cat did not ALSO sleep on the beets! I can cut the beet leaves for greens.

I have started mulching the semi-tender things, and now that more leaves have fallen I can do more

Lastly, we have had a garage sneak that keeps lifting the garage door and going inside. We have put out bait in a live trap but it will not take the bait.

Well it was warm today and I saw 2 possums walking around my property, and one of those 2 possums was in my driveway under my husbands pickup. I bet you anything he is the garage sneak.

The OTHER possum was gazing longingly at my hens: fortunately their run is raccoon and hawk proof, and it looks like it was possum proof as well.

The thing about living in the country is that there are ALWAYS varmints around: you just cannot always see them. During the winter the mice are harder to catch so any small livestock must be very carefully protected!
Old 11-22-2017, 06:47 PM
Master Pontificator

Cloudy and 30's here today. At least the wind isn't still blowing 30 to 40 mph like the last two days!

I think I've completed all fall tasks that had to be done. I haven't been able to burn due to windy and dry conditions so have two large piles that will likely have to wait for spring to be burned.

Today has been food prep day getting ready for guests tomorrow. Still need to bake pies which I like to leave until evening. Pumpkin pies are best as fresh as possible.

Hope everyone has a lovely Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM

Clear, cold nights. Overcast days with early morning snow. We have about 30cm or so on ground now. I have plowed driveway with tractor twice now. Not so much driveway, but where plow clogs the end of the driveway. Overcast, balmy about 5C for a high today. Wanted to move as much snow as possible before it gets froze in place. Provincial long range forecasts is for a bit harsher winter season than normal. If you can define normal.

Middle of the night there was a big KER-WHUMP noise that brought me up out of bed. It was snow sliding off steel roof. Happened to other buildings, but I knew what it was then, so didn't spazz...

Last weekend was local community hall craft fair. Nice as those go, but all "leaver-rights" to me. Next events are a ham and turkey bingo night and a fund raiser holiday breakfast at the hall. They do those events really well. Most enjoyable.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Yesterday was our coldest morning of the season so far with a low of 17. But it seems winter is not quite ready to come for us here. While today should be the mid 50s, tomorrow it is suppose to be close to 70, and after a couple more days in the 50s over the weekend, Monday should be in the 60s again.

I suppose next week I should go down and cut some more firewood just to have it in the barn. If it doesn't get used this year I'm sure it will be next year. Might have to get the boat out a couple more times if it's going to stay this nice.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:25 PM

Default thankfull

thankful to live where & how we do. Warm weather this morning. no snow or ice except on hillsides . I started a fire in the living room stove and also in the kitchen stove. I got out all of the Thanksgiving food that we got on our trip to the big city yesterday. I ran the generator little bit to charge the batteries up~ also will use a little 2 stroke generator to run the electric cookers that will cook our Thanksgiving dinner on today. on way out for morning walk i positioned the solar panels~ today we're going to have some sunshine. the children are playing with the dog, and I'm reading my new rick'o'shay & hipshot book that I ordered off of eBay.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:13 PM
Master Pontificator

cold and cloudy, don't know how cold, just know all the water outside froze to ice

replaced my generator with a slightly larger one, I owe $550 to my friend who owns the shop (was his last old stock generator so he gave me a sale price and he knows I will pay as soon as I can). went a couple days without any power, very cloudy, even with solar panels up I didn't make any power, spent 3 nights in a row playing solitare by candle light. called my friend and got the generator.

other day a neighbor gave me 8 older round bales of hay, not the highest quality hay but free hay is free hay. had to leave outside the barn under tarps since I had no more room inside for it.

today is thanksgiving I think, so I was a bit of a wiseass and texted happy easter to all my friends. I wasn't invited to any gatherings this year, so all I am doing is sing up the last of the apples (the not canned ones anyway) by binge eating several batches of apple crisp and tossing the peels. cores, and rotten ones out for the chickens (drunk chickens on the soft apples). and catching up on the online news now that I have power to go online with again.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:13 PM

Wink Perfect weather

Great Thanksgiving weather. 40 to 65 degrees

Blue sky so I burned a few leaves since the neighborhood is all burning too. Got up early & made 2 pumpkin pies. We ate then headed to the movie to see The Man Who Invented Christmas. It's a Charles Dickens story retold from the perspective of how the story was written.
Good flick, a different twist for sure.

Gasoline is hovering around 2.22 gal

I read the Polish energy company has signed a 5yr contract to purchase LNG from here.

Attended a rendezvous last week it was a tad chilly at night. We hosted the Elbert county GA middle schoolers appx 300 kids on Friday. I was lucky sold 2 of my hand sewn bags, one a belt bag the other a possibles bag. A few necklaces I let the kids make for 2$ so they have a momento to take home that doesn't break Mom & Dad.

A film crew was present making a film for the GA National Guard to show kids. They visited several other sites. The picture posted here is from them. Hope I make the movies......LOL

Hey ttyl take care Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bpb petersburg.jpg (21.7 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by blackpowderbill; 11-24-2017 at 12:21 PM. Reason: add text & pic
Old 11-24-2017, 01:33 PM

sorry to hear about the problem you had with your generator ~ we paid $100 for the little 800 watt 2 stroke we have when it was on sale~ I have several other generators ranging from 1000 to 7500 watt that I paid no more than a hundred for backup or for carrying in the vehicles when we travel also we have a number of rechargeable work lights that charge off of cigarette lighter 12-volt Outlets. There's been a few times we had to drive the pickup around and hook the jumper cables to the battery light system on a very cloudy day here. We got rid of kerosene lanterns and candles a long time ago for the fear of the fire risk. After some Thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast~ I'm going to go burn some powder~ I recently traded off my muzzle loading Rifle and Pistol for a cap and ball revolver. no work today so I'm going to explode some rocks and cans with it~
Old 11-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Master Pontificator

unfortunately generators around here are either new or junk. lots of people wanting $300 or more for their used generators with their guarantee that it worked 10 years ago the last time they fired it up, usually that means that its sat for a decade with stagnant ethanol gas in the tank rotting out the carb gaskets and lines. I rebuilt a few carbs and the fastest way to kill an engine is to use ethanol gas (I buy premium ethanol free gas up on the rez, they get it from a supplier out of Canada and its a higher quality than can be found in most of the state since the law requiring ethanol is not enforceable on the rez). I had a few generators new for $200 or so, usually poorly made junk that didn't last a week (big box store junk). the used ones around here are usually left over fema generators from the ice storm 20 years ago, people got free generators, used them back then but never maintained them since, just left sitting in a garage or shed. around here the throw away mentality to pervasive and nobody sells used stuff unless its cheaper to replace than to fix (in which case they hawk it off on someone claiming some carb cleaner will fix it when it needs a complete rebuild and cheaper to replace than rebuild an out of production carb). the friend I buy generators and chainsaws and stuff was my old boss when I worked on the rez, not the best manager when it came to people, but he prioritized safety and maintenance over everything else. I went with him to training courses to repair and rebuild stuff (partly a cost cutting measure, he couldn't repair saws due to conflict of interest policies, but training me to do it meant I could fix everything as the field forester since he was an office chair polisher on the clock). I always keep my eye open for used equipment and tools but 99% of what I see is lost causes, the few I do find usually cost $50 in parts to rebuild for every $100 it would cost new (factor in purchase price and parts and I am lucky to get equipment at 70% the new price). then again I am picky about equipment when most everyone out here would slap some duct tape on it (few would bother to repair a chain break on a chainsaw, most would use the saw with no safety features). I bought a high end generator expecting to avoid the throw away cycle of buying and rebuying junk, but I fried it by not considering the start up power needed to run the washer, my mistake and it cost me enough that I will never make the same mistake again, now I just got to look out for whatever mistake I make next which is always unforeseen till its too late to avoid.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:32 PM
Master Pontificator

there is a new jumper cable setup for the new cars you may be interested in, new cars often don't have easy battery access for jumping, they now make a cig lighter to cig lighter charger/jumper for those cars. they do about 5amp charging. back when I had a truck I would put a dead battery on the floor and wired one of those jumpers to plug from the lighter to the battery and would get the battery charged after a trip into town.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM

Another reason to avoid new cars.

Its a bit early but we are watching a Christmas story tonight. Still working on thanksgiving leftovers.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderbill View Post
A few necklaces I let the kids make for 2$ so they have a momento to take home that doesn't break Mom & Dad.

A film crew was present making a film for the GA National Guard to show kids. They visited several other sites. The picture posted here is from them. Hope I make the movies......LOL

Hey ttyl take care Bill
Sounds like a great time, thanks for including the pic!
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 AM

Back up Nord for a couple of days of blackpowder hunting. Will sit my primary stand for a day, then switch over to a stand that wasn't taken down after rifle season. It's on public land, and haven't seen anyone sitting it - and there is a good trail running by it.

If I don't get a buck up here, will probably do some bow hunting in the Cities. Unlimited bag there, and I don't mind taking a doe in that area. Just no does Up Nord!

I'm in my little trailer, but the small generator is going, the battery is inside and hooked up to the electrical panel - and plenty of LP. It's a bit cold tonight, but still above average temps for the time. I have wool blankets over all windows, door, and leakage spots.

My back is a lot better, but still recovering. I'm hoping that it will recover so I don't have to worry about it if I have to pull a bow. If it's still sketchy, might go to a chiropractor, who can write out a note so I can use a crossbow. Don't want to go down that route, but if it doesn't recover enough that I have to see a chiro or whatever, I guess it's all good game to have a not written out for our DNR>
Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM

Good luck with the deer hunting. In Nebraska they recently changed the crossbow law so a person can use one the entire archery season. Can't say a lot of archery hunters were agreeable to that. But then some of those guys black powder hunt and to me those are the same as a rifle today.

The guy that owned the ground we hunted sold it this past summer, and after rifle season the new owner called and asked us to move our stands out as he was going to hunt it now. We'd been hunting that ground for the past 11 years so I hated to see that end. While hauling out one of the last loads of stands I ran into the guy what owns the land next door. We actually had to go through his place to get to the hunting ground. I told him what happened and he told me I could hunt his ground. Not as much area, but I'll still have a place to get outdoors when I have the itch.

By the way 15 tree stands pulled out of the trees sure makes for a big pile of stands. I was able to take out one of the enclosed stands we made. They were only about 5' square and just stood on 2' legs. I was able to slip under it with the forks on the back of my tractor and pick it up. I can set it up out in the cornfield north of my house and hunt deer from there if I want.

Been warm here too, some days in the 60s and 70s, when normal high for this time of year is 42. They says 50s up until next Monday then it's finally going to turn into winter. I'm thinking I may need to get the boat out a couple times this week while the weather is nice, then move it to the back barn and throw on the cover for the winter. Going to be a long time till spring, even if the cold held off to December this year.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:40 PM
Master Pontificator

about 35 degrees this morning and rain, then warmed a little and sunny

rode my bike out to the shop that had my tractor for the last 3 months for repairs, have not heard from them in all this time and wanted to see what the progress was. they did not do any repairs and said they were waiting for me to buy and deliver the parts they needed to fix it (they never notified me of anything, and they knew I had no vehicle to go buy parts, when I dropped the tractor off I handed the mechanic a note detailing the repairs needed and all my contact info, and told them to call me if they needed anything from me). so its been sitting 3 months with no progress and the slacker was waiting and hoping I had esp to to bring them parts. I asked him how he expected me to get the parts when he never called me, he said he hadn't thought about it, I asked how he expected me to get parts when I had only a bike and had to work in windows of opportunity in the weather, he replied he didn't know how I would do it. I asked him if he remembered that when I dropped off the tractor he was expected to get the parts and that I told him to call me and I would pay for the part as they needed them, he said he figured I would know when he needed parts without calling me. I nearly handed the idiot his teeth. I asked when he was going to get it done and offered to pay for the parts whenever they go get them, and he said its not up to him its up to his boss, I asked where his boss was, he said he didn't know but his boss would be in sometime, I wrote a second note with my number but he tossed it in the trash and said they still had the first one. annoyed I left since I needed to talk to the guys boss who was just as much a slacker piece of human garbage, and there was no way to know when he would be around and now I have to wait till the guys boss calls me (if the assistant bothers to tell him to call me anyway). on the way home I had to ride in the rain (just above freezing), wish I had better options but I been trying to get out there for almost 2 months and this was the first time anyone was there when I actually got out there. to avoid mud on the dirt road I had to detour around the longer paved route, and in another confrontation with the people who let their 2 dogs run loose. again they let their german shepard and pitbull run loose, and as I rounded a corner on the only road between my farm and town (the dirt road goes 5 miles south, then 4 miles west, then 6 miles north to town, the road with these dogs is a route just over 4 miles long between my farm and the town/hamlet, I have to take one of these routes every time I go into town or back). the dogs owners threatened me with an ax earlier this summer because I brandished a stick to defend myself and he didn't want me hitting his dog. despite the police and animal control involved a few times they refuse to use a chain and the control officer said there isn't anything the law will do. so when I rounded the corner that german shepard rushed me again, barking and growling, circling me looking for an opening to attack and I used by bike as a shield, it tried to rush at me when the pitbull had me distracted moving the bike as a shield from it, I swung my machete (I carry a machete on my belt as a sidearm when biking since these dogs such a threat) to intercept it and it turned its weight at the last minute barely avoiding the blade which would have slashed its face had it been 6 inches closer, it made low growls and circled around looking for another opening. this standoff continued for 4 minutes then the woman who owns the dogs (the man wasn't around this time)came out, yelling at me not to hurt her dogs, and yelling at the dogs to go inside, the dogs ignored her but ran into the field long enough for me to use my left hand to get out my phone and take a picture of them for court (going to try again) and then called 911, but they refused to send an officer out unless I am bitten first. I had to put the phone in my pocket on speaker as the dog ran back from the field and tried circling again, rushed at me (with the owner yelling at it) but again backed off just in time to avoid the machete from intercepting it. this standoff went on until the womans neighbor came out and got the dog under control. as soon as they were restrained I got out of there. I don't see this dog problem getting resolved in any good way, best outcome is that I don't resist and just let it bite me, sure i'll be injured, but with a string of police calls, and animal control reports i'll have grounds to have the dogs uthinized and i'll be able to sue the owners. the not legal way would be to carry a shotgun around all the time on my bike and blast them while in the road, in ny that's probably 3 or 5 misdemenors and a felony or 2. got home, soaked from rain and still in adrenaline panic mode. just one of these would be enough to make a bad day, but 2 of them and I have heartburn from all the stress.

so that's my day, sorry for the frustrated rant
Old 11-30-2017, 10:07 PM

Default This stuff's made in new york city !?!?!

You need to switch brands.

Warm weather here but well below freezing at night. Good firewood cutting weather.