BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Master Pontificator

Now that Dave has made it clear that the yearly anthologies will still be printed, I think most folks feel better. No, we won't be able to get a bi-monthly magazine but we will be able to get a yearly anthology in paper form. That will be nice.

I think much of what lent itself to creating the speculations, that Dave addressed, was the employees who got let-go or whose employment was questionable... without any notice. Claire Wolfe was stunned, Jackie didn't know what to tell people because she didn't know what was going on either, and the moderator of this online forum (Oliver) was apparently taken by surprise with his lay-off too. So when employees start being let-go without much if any notice, that starts the rumor mill churning in overdrive.

But the situation as it stands is pretty clear now so.... it still is what it is. Take it or leave it. As for me, I'll take it.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:51 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I for one am totally stunned.
For all the years I and so many faithfully bought the mag we DONT all have kindles--computers or even phones-----and those things are mechanical So they will break down.

On these machines you cant reach over and grab the mag and pick up where you left off or refer to it when needed.

But they dont listen to us and I have come to believe dont care .
I love holding a magazine --a book---and will miss Claire Wolf--and many of the side trips BWH gave us.

SAD.
Txanne
Old 12-22-2017, 05:58 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

How many friends did we make here?
How much did we learn here?
How much knowledge did we share here?

We lost members---sadly.
Went through so much to gather.
I have linked up with many members on FB---to keep in touch.

Fondly---sadly I remember the nights spent here----the banter---celebrations---and yes disagreements.

It's the end of something rare.
it was here,
I'm getting old--I dont like change---but noone ask me.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:04 PM
Master Pontificator

I don't like change much either, Annie, and I'm really sad to see the paper magazine go. I am one of those cranks who doesn't want to spend money on anything unless it's something I can hold in my hand - something that doesn't take electricity or batteries to read!

It's also sad to see the forum die the way it has. This is not the only forum I've belonged to which has died. Internet forums used to be a really great place to enjoy discussions with a community of like-minded folks, but somehow everyone went somewhere else - I'm guessing Facebook, which I personally really dislike. Oh well...
Old 12-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMama View Post
Now that Dave has made it clear that the yearly anthologies will still be printed, I think most folks feel better. No, we won't be able to get a bi-monthly magazine but we will be able to get a yearly anthology in paper form. That will be nice.
Oh, I just saw this! That's nice that they will still be printing the yearly anthologies.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:26 PM
Master Pontificator

I just pre-ordered the 2 newest anthologies. Better than nothing but I will miss the days before the new issue came when I eagerly went to pick up the mail.

Times are changing for sure, and not always for the better. I guess younger people will be fine with Kindle, but I just don't want one. I like the feel of a mag in my hand.