BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Food

Food Food-related topics that do not have a dedicated board.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:42 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Hollandaise Sauce Powder mix...

KarenBC loves the eggs benidict from the local Dennys..... Especially she loves the hollandaise sauce on it. We also had eggs benidict over on the Pacific coast near the Alaska pan handle at a little local cafe near an old cannery. They make it with local caught and locally smoked salmon.... A real tasty treat.

So when the fish guy comes to town with freezers full of fish on his little truck I always get as much smoke salmon as I can. We have bought the small packages of sauce powder that make about a cup of sauce per pack. It is OK but not as great as the restaurant type sauce. Or maybe it is just me trying to make it from the package.

So being the frugal preppers we are, we looked into mixing our own homemade sauce powder. I can't find any recipes at all on the web. I can find larger containers of the name brand powders. At a larger the life price... But no recipe for homemade powder. None of our homemade mix, dehydrator how to books, or other DIY books has a recipe.

The labels on the several small packets we have used says buttermilk powder, milk powder, sweetener of some kind and several chemical words.

Even with a "homemade" powder mix, I suspect we would still have to use melted butter and hot water as the packets require. That is OK, what ever it takes..

We have Alfredo powder, homemade dried eggs, buttermilk powder, corn starch and the like.

Anyone know how, have done this, know where to get a recipe or other good info on how to do this ???
Old 01-27-2018, 12:57 PM

I'd look for a Hollandaise recipe for making it in a blender and not attempt to make a powder mix.

I saw one on TV that was easier than the traditional method so I know it can be done.

I imagine you could also make a batch and freeze it for later use.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 PM

OK.......
That brings up a couple thoughts I hadn't processed yet I guess.

That being there is something unique enough about this sauce it isn't adaptable to try to create a relatively simple powder.

Freezing cubes of already made sauce. Hadn't got my thinking far enough along to get there. That may be one of the only or best options available. However, for some reason I'm inclined to think if that is a good idea, it will have to prove its self to me. But worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Thanks