BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Animals

Animals Creatures and issues without a dedicated board.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:32 AM
Master Pontificator

Default Time to put buddy down i think

I think its time to put my dog down. he was too old for farm work when I got him (the menonites were going to shoot him if I didn't take him, so at the least he had 2 more good years). he never made any indication when he needed to go outside so I just adapted to taking him out every 2 hours or so (otherwise he would pee on the floor). lately his incontinence has gotten bad. he can't hold it for more than an hour and just pees in his sleep, and sometimes as he is walking he just drissles and leaves a zig zag of pee on the floor. he has ruined one couch by peeing on it (then gets up and moves to another spot and pees on that too, and makes no attempt to let me know to let him out, not even an attempt to go on the floor instead, just pees laying down). it used to be minor, a small spot and a towel on the couch under him was enough, but now I wake in the morning to the rank stench of piss and the couch has a 3 foot wide wet spot with him laying in the middle of it. I mitigated the damage to the couch by putting heavy plastic sheeting over it then old blankets but he hated the sound it made. fortunately he is not very mobile anymore and can't jump up on the bed or the other couch. my place isn't very big (really just 1 big room) and I can't really see any options, other than leaving him chained outside in the cold. his quality of life is degraded because of mobility issues (no longer wants to go for walks and can't walk very far before I have to carry him home, has trouble on the porch steps), most of his teeth are gone and the rest are rotten (he no longer eats dry food, he would starve himself if I don't feed him eggs and soak dry food into mush), he is half blind and mostly deaf. I really don't see him getting any better.

i'm thinking of giving him a huge pile of eggs and a can of dogfood I been saving and maybe some sausages I canned up, a huge meal, then taking him for a walk out into the woods since the snow is melting and low, then shooting him and leaving him in the woods. I can't bury him this time of year so leaving him out in the woods is about the best I can do. I think a 22 to the back of the head would be quick and painless.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Grand Master Pontificator
Super Moderator

I had to make the same decision with a buddy that I had with me for 18 yrs. When he allowed the cats to eat his food right beside him, I knew..

It's hard.. I understand..
*Robert Frost*
Old 02-17-2018, 01:54 PM

We owe our domesticated animals food, shelter, kindness and respect. It's one thing to prolong a life, and another to prolong a death. We're not doing them any favors by prolonging their suffering in order to ease our own consciences. The Universe is 14 billion yrs old. A few extra days one way or the other won't make a difference in The Great Scheme of Things. Dust to dust, ashes to ashes... that's just the way it is.
Old 02-18-2018, 06:02 PM

Never an easy decision. But like said when it is time to take action, to do so is the best decision. Both responsibly and compassionately. Nature must and will take play out its course.

That is a part of being a common sense and responsible pet owner. Most don't think far enough ahead or realize at the time a decision is needed to have a plan or make the right plan when necessary.

Remember. I'm not a psychologist, but I did pay for ones education.

Condolences for your issue.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Master Pontificator

the decision isn't easy because he hasn't lost all his mobility, he is noticeably worn out, but with some adjustments he can get by, the real issue is the inconstinence. a friend of mine said some of his behaviors sound like something called cushings disease and that his nerves are giving out and it will progress fairly quick. for the moment I am going to try to keep him around, if I can deal with the difficulty another month or 2 he can easily be kept on the porch at night to deal with the inconstinence. if this cushings disease is like what my friend said then the decision won't be hard in a few months. i have no trouble putting something down when the descision is clear
Old 02-19-2018, 05:29 PM

When you know you know.

Hard thing to do, but necessary.

Thoughts.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:18 AM

Never an easy decision and is the "downside" of being a responsible pet owner.