BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:19 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Winter Olympics 2018

Today is the 3rd (?) day of the winter Olympics in Korea.

Last I knew two competitors from Canada had medals. That may have changed by now.

The local paper has said British Columbia has qualified several to participate this year. Three or more in biathlon. One figure skater. Two speed skaters. There may be more that I'm not aware of, but these are known to be local.

I always get a thrill watching the opening and more so the closing ceremonies. They can be a real tear jerker.

On a rare occasion one of my favorite u-tube things to look up is a short film of an old folk singer from Australia who sang at the closing ceremony for the games there. The old guy is passed now, name of Slim Dusty and he did Waltzing Matilda.

Anyone keeping up with what is going on day by day ???
Old 02-14-2018, 07:39 AM

Tonight was the first I've seen. My wife is a Shaun White fan, so she wanted to watch the half-pipe. Alaska has a number of competitors. One guy who was born here, lived his entire life here, trained here...and skates for Canada 'cuz his mother was born there.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:53 PM

Closing ceremony will be this weekend. I would like to see that. They are always good.

Team Canada is at 19 medals now. (8,5,6) Local newspaper saying a local girl took a hard spill in one of the downhill ski competitions and spent time with medics. Another team member got sick with an alternate stepping in.

Curling is a big thing in this area with quite a few clubs around the area. One or more gold was won in that sport. I think one team was from here. Will know more when it all comes out in the paper.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Closing ceremony will be this weekend. I would like to see that. They are always good.

Team Canada is at 19 medals now. (8,5,6) Local newspaper saying a local girl took a hard spill in one of the downhill ski competitions and spent time with medics. Another team member got sick with an alternate stepping in.

Curling is a big thing in this area with quite a few clubs around the area. One or more gold was won in that sport. I think one team was from here. Will know more when it all comes out in the paper.
I read that one Russian is accused of doping for curling! I can see speed skating or some of the alpine events, but curling??? As Craig Ferguson once said, "What kind of sport do you think would come from a bunch of drunken Scotsmen? Curling!"
Old 02-21-2018, 05:56 AM

As Craig Ferguson once said, "What kind of sport do you think would come from a bunch of drunken Scotsmen? Curling!"
XXXX
Don't know who Craig Ferguson is, but suspect the origin of curling is correct.
Add to that golf, tabor toss and a bunch of other things. Some things that seem to be the basis for a lot of strong man type events that are or have been popular.

Have run across a number of relocated Scotsmen here. And many that have a long family heritage from Scotland. Including KarenBC......

Will post something in the "Adult Humor" area that has to do with drunk Scotsmen. It is quite adult, and amusing.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:08 PM

Being something like 14 hours ahead, I'm sure the closing ceremony in Korea has happened.

Last report I got was team Canada was at 11-8-10 medal count at that time. This is the 3rd time Olympic games have been in Asia, the other two times in Japan. That would have to be winter games as Korea hosted the summer games in 1988.

There were a number of athletes from here in town competed. Not sure if/how any of them placed or metaled. But local people you might pass in the grocery or mall and not know otherwise. I think that is neat of the people in this part of the GWN...
Old 02-26-2018, 03:21 PM

And Beijing hosted a Summer Olympics. Next Summer Olympics is in Tokyo and I believe the next Winter Olympics will be in Beijing making it the only city to host both a Summer and Winter games. Asia is taking over.
Old 02-26-2018, 06:54 PM

America has hosted 8 olympics more than any other country

http://www.topendsports.com/events/s...-countries.htm
Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Hate to say it, but I watched 0 Olympics. Usually I can get into some part of it and watch, but this time around I just had no interest in it and accordingly didn't watch any of it.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:21 AM

We watched the opening ceremony which was pretty great and then basically nothing after that. Snow boarding? Big air ? To much X games type stuff,

Last edited by MissouriFree; 02-27-2018 at 03:20 PM.