BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations

Conversations Pass the time with friends and neighbors. Bring your own coffee.
Please, no Political and/or Current Events posts not directly related to homesteading.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Up early at 4am this morning, old guy thing. Could see in the yard light it was snowing and blowing pretty good. Up later and figured maybe 10cm new snow.

Figured I'd take care of it before evening chores with no trouble. It finely quit snowing some after noon time. Got out to find a minimum of 30cm on the flat and some of my lanes blown in level full..... again.....

Worked up to almost dark with the tractor moving snow. Town tomorrow in jeopardy as a wait and see what tomorrow brings. District road is not plowed and may not be because it is the weekend now.

Day was not a total loss. Did some wash, replaced a shirt button, other little house chores. KarenBC and our big Ontario kitchen wood stove made a wonderful mince meat pie for this evening.

Time of year to take it one day at a time.
This often seems like a snowy time of year. As the weather warms a little, the atmosphere holds more moisture. It doesn't always work that way, but snowy Feb-March is normal for us. Don't worry too much, for Spring/Breakup will be here in a month or two!
Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 PM

Got lucky this time around and didn't get much of anything. I did have to clear about 1/2" of something off the sidewalk. Not sure if it was snow, sleet, or maybe sneet.

40s tomorrow and 50s to start the new week. Might find some decent open water on the lakes by the end of next week.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Master Pontificator

30 degrees and freezing rain, but glad for it

yesterday was partly sunny and around 45, I worked 11 hours almost without a break, going through 2 gallons of sawgas and a gallon of bar oil, sawing up poles I cut over winter, cutting flush (almost flat to ground level) stump, and cutting down trees I didn't get to yet. got a lot done, but had muscle cramps this morning since I haven't had a good long work day in weeks and those had much shorter daylight to work in, so the freezing rain forces me to take it easy today, and then sunny warm weather expected tomorrow so i'll be out again
Old 02-25-2018, 03:33 PM

We got our foot of snow, and now it is -15 F. It is supposed to warm up tonight and snow again. The driveway is getting narrower and narrower as the berms build. Things usually get milder around the first of March, so I hope that pattern continues this year. I have some of my plants started for this spring--mostly peppers so far. Tomatoes will start nest week.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Well Doninalaska, while you were getting a foot of snow, we only got about 10cm (4") Blinding bright sunny today and surprisingly 0C... WOW.... Made good use of that today. Detail cleaned snow around the yard and drive. Hauled wood. Started to dig out a stack of hay I have under tarp. That is going to take a bit of work.

Yesterday was a good day in town. As far as town days go. Town is still a mess of streets in not so good shape and some worse than that... Ugg.. Funny to read editorials in the paper, some whine about streets, next batch of contributors say, don't like it, move. Good for a snicker.

Funeral memorial was a bit awkward the way it was put together, but regardless it is the gathering that is the basis for people to form there closure around in individual ways. KarenBC had an amusing small story about when the guy and her son were grade school age that got both us a big hug from his mother.

Look for post in "Plants" about our experience Saturday.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:17 PM

We're under another "winter weather advisory" and some of the schools are closed. My hospice family that I visit on Mondays called this morning and cancelled as they thought the roads were too hazardous to be driving. It is doing strange stuff at the moment as it snowed during the night but now it is "icing"--kinda like freezing rain, but the water is frozen by the time it hits the ground. Technically not sleet or hail, but like sleet without the wind. The advisory is in place until 1600 this afternoon. Tim, I reckon you'll be getting this in a few days.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Master Pontificator

Don, I wish I could trade some of that weather, its 60 degrees here, sunny and all the snow is leaving fast, and I still got 25 cords of wood to sell, wish we had some of that winter weather to bring end of season demand back up.

exhausted myself right now, was out running chainsaw from 7am to 6pm yesterday, then again from 7am to 1030 today when I finally ran out of gas, been sawing up all the poles and bolts I cut earlier and getting the last few trees I forgot to do on my planned work this winter. can't do much else till the tractor is fixed (called the shop yesterday, they still have not done any work on it, I have almost enough money saved up from winter firewood sales I can basically go buy another tractor if they don't get my old one fixed soon). after I ran out of gas I walked to the local store, took from 1030 to 2pm for the round trip, and I got a package of expired hotdogs for 50 cents plus a pile of meat ends, my dog might be an outside dog no but at least he still eats well.
Old 02-27-2018, 06:15 PM

We finished up with 14" of new snow since Friday and it is 18 F. now--at least it is above 0 F. now. My soil (ProMix) delivery is scheduled for this Thursday and the wiper motor on my truck went out, so I have to get it fixed before I can get the ProMix unless the weather is perfectly clear. I am ready for some warmer weather, but I want the Iditarod to go before it gets too warm. The guy that plows our church parking lot decided to do trail groom for the race, but he didn't let anyone know, so the lot didn't get plowed and none of his other customers got plowed either. He has (had) a pretty good business in snowy years, but since he left everybody "out in the cold" so to speak, it may not be so good when he gets back since everybody had to find other services. My tractor is doing fine, but I only use it to plow the driveway in the winter. I have nine bales of soil coming, amounting to ~540 pounds, so I will use it to move that around. My old injured body doesn't do that stuff so well any more.