BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Health

Health Any kind of health issue, alternative medicines, herbal and folk remedies, etc.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:34 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Caveat (non)dormitor:

OTC sleep aids are usually Benadryl or close cousins. Antihistamines do have mild sedative effects and can be helpful, but us old geezers with prostate problems may wind up with severe urinary obstruction.

While alcoholic beverages can make you sleepy, when they wear off after a couple hours, it may cause a mini "DTs" in some people, an increased state of arousal, actually making the insomnia worse.
Doc,
I think I read an article somewhere recently (of course, I can't find it now) that stated recent findings indicated us older folks should not take diphenhydramine or any of its relatives. I don't remember the side effects mentioned, but it was recommended that we move to second generation antihistamines or newer, like fexofenadine. Do you have ideas on that?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Doc,
I think I read an article somewhere recently (of course, I can't find it now) that stated recent findings indicated us older folks should not take diphenhydramine or any of its relatives. I don't remember the side effects mentioned, but it was recommended that we move to second generation antihistamines or newer, like fexofenadine. Do you have ideas on that?
Might want to try melatonin. Helps with sleep but you get some vivid dreams.

Good reading material quells the racing mind.

Last resort a few belts of "Vodkadin"
Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doninalaska View Post
Doc,
Antihistamines have the afroementioned urinary obstructive effects for males and the older ones can be excessively sedating & may cause fall in BP for older users. The newer antihistamines don't have the same degree of sedation, therefore won't work as a sleep aid.

Melatonin may or may not work, but it's worth a try.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Master Pontificator

Doc, thanks for your comment about patients with sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and tried the CPAP machine. I went from being a normal, energetic person who slept 7 hours a night, straight thru, always woke 10 minutes before the alarm went off no matter what time I sent it for, hit the ground running in the morning with no coffee person, to a monster! That machine kept me awake, which then made me sleep through the alarm. I became very short tempered with everyone and had no ambition to do anything. I didn't even want to take care of my family.

The drs. couldn't believe the change. Apparently I have pretty severe apnea, but I just can't tolerate the machine. Reading your post made me realize that I am not crazy and the decision I made to discontinue use after a trial period of 3 months was more than long enough to prove to me that I didn't need the machine. My dr. was livid that I decided to disregard her recommendation. Needless to say, she isn't my dr. anymore!

Thanks again Doc! Now I'll sleep even better tonight! Sue
Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Professor View Post
Might want to try melatonin. Helps with sleep but you get some vivid dreams.

Good reading material quells the racing mind.

Last resort a few belts of "Vodkadin"

Melatonin does squat for me.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 AM
Master Pontificator

Pain wakes me up, yes it is serious enough to do it.... OA with Fibro and severe damage to joints ....all I got to do is lay on the sore spot and I am wide awake. Also nerve damage causing the legs to go numb wakes me up.... if the pain is up around a 6 level....it will wake me up as much as six to ten times.... if the pain is around 7 or 8,... I am awake most of the night. Ambien I sleep walk....making these outrageous food eating tours while I do it. We consider putting a lock on the refri. it was so bad. I finally just stop taking it.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM

My issues are exhausted all day long. Go to bed fall right to sleep but awakens during nite then right back
Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbowhntr View Post
My issues are exhausted all day long. Go to bed fall right to sleep but awakens during nite then right back
You could try a magnesium supplement before bed. It has been know to help some folks. Use the citrate or gluconate (or similar) as the oxide form is cheaper but not readily soluble. I have found it helps me sleep through the night and does away with leg cramps that I was having without it.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Sleep.......
Have to say (knock on wood) I seem able to sleep the whole night OK.
But do wake at 5am sharp for a washroom break. However this washroom visit is NOT to be ignored or put off for even a minute. Luckily at this age and all only rarely more than once a night to have to get up for the washroom. I have used a CPAP machine a good number of years now. Was lucky to put it on the first night and adapt to using it right away.

Leg Cramps...
Not so much in winter with less strenuous activity maybe but my 5am wake up many times I have mild leg cramps. Very rarely a "grand mall" type large muscle type cramp. Usually lower leg issue most likely to happen after a long day walking in town, at the farmers market, fair or the like.

One trick I learned from my MIL is before bed time drink 6-8 oz of Tonic Water. No gin or anything, just the cheap store brand stuff. A table spoon of raspberry drink powder helps it go down better. Seems to help.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Sleep.......
Have to say (knock on wood) I seem able to sleep the whole night OK.
But do wake at 5am sharp for a washroom break. However this washroom visit is NOT to be ignored or put off for even a minute. Luckily at this age and all only rarely more than once a night to have to get up for the washroom. I have used a CPAP machine a good number of years now. Was lucky to put it on the first night and adapt to using it right away.

Leg Cramps...
Not so much in winter with less strenuous activity maybe but my 5am wake up many times I have mild leg cramps. Very rarely a "grand mall" type large muscle type cramp. Usually lower leg issue most likely to happen after a long day walking in town, at the farmers market, fair or the like.

One trick I learned from my MIL is before bed time drink 6-8 oz of Tonic Water. No gin or anything, just the cheap store brand stuff. A table spoon of raspberry drink powder helps it go down better. Seems to help.
Tim, I too have used tonic water for cramps and it does seem to help, but I found the magnesium supplements do a good job as well, and don't take up so much room in storage.

SBH, experiment with either or both and see what works.