BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Homesteading > Conversations > State / Country Talk

State / Country Talk A place for folks to talk about their state- or country-related issues with fellow residents.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 AM

Until this past election, and to some extent still, liberals have been up everyones arses.
Hopefully it will change as more constitutionalists wake up.
Oh, and I'm in Plymouth. On the somerset/ penobscot line.
Been here since '92. Think I'll stay a spell. ;-)
as far as you mass. Folks go, good luck in your search. Only thing mainers hate more than tourists is tourists that move to maine and want to change it to be like mass. Been here all these years, will never be a local to my neighbors. They respect me because i work hard and mind my own damn business.
Kinda glad the gardens are done. That was one long growing season! Best gardens i ever had, and ive had a couple or three.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

I don't live in Maine but it is beautiful. We spent 9 summers working in and around Jackman; one summer in Ashland. I loved it after I bought my "bug suit" We lived in the woods and I especially enjoyed the birds and other wildlife. i wish I had owned a video camera back then.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhead View Post
Oh, and I'm in Plymouth. On the somerset/ penobscot line.
I've been in Plymouth several times. I'm thinking you may know Bob Emrich, at the Baptist church there...
Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 AM

Is there anyone else here from Aroostook County?
Old 05-07-2011, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldickinson1 View Post
Hey Mainahs,

Western Maine appeals to me, because the terrain is familiar. Coastal Maine is okay, too, but it seems a bit swampy. Am I wrong?
Coastal Maine tends to be expensive, full of artistic, ultra-liberal types. The further north you go along the coast, the more reasonable things get but this is still fairly true for the coastal areas.

Interior Maine is better, as far as the political climate goes, as long as you avoid the larger cities. There are no truly large cities in Maine, but the larger they are, the more liberal their populations. The further south you go, this tends also to be true.

As the paper and lumber industries are being killed, many of the towns where the Constitution was recognized as a valid document are being populated by a mix of people fleeing the cities in the south and those who are coming for the cheap housing left behind when people can no longer earn a living in their home town, bringing their political views with them.

I have a house in Millinocket and some land in St. Agatha, a few hours north in Aroostook County, also known at "The County". Aroostook has some Constitution-minded people there, but you'll hear French spoken as often as English in the western part of the County, and there is a definite French-Canadian mindset.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alandanielyoung View Post
Does central maine count?
30m North ot bangor, 12m from Old Town
Daniel
Interestingly, I have a website at http://northofbangor.com about "the things that interest us...North of Bangor."

It's got hundreds of photos and audio interviews with just about anyone who was willing to speak with me.
There is a whole section on the Freedom Action Conference in Valley Forge last summer which would probably interest people here.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:24 PM

We bought our house in Millinocket for $14,500 in 2000, before the mill went bankrupt.

We are blessed to have jobs we can do from anywhere, as long as the internet is alive. Don't know what we do after that, but my guess is that money won't matter if things get as bad as I think they will.

Hopefully, I'm wrong.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kldickinson1 View Post
Hey Mainahs,

Masshole here, looking to escape. Help!

We're looking for 10-50 acres within a max 45 minute drive of amenities. We're a farmer and a farrier. Both of us hunt. We are Constitution-loving Americans who don't have a lot of patience for large throngs of big government-lovers. In what part of Maine would we fit?
Pretty much anywhere in Maine would fit the bill, I think. Except for the greater Portland area, which is really Northern Boston. :-) Oh, and Millinocket, where -- well, I won't get into it publicly.

Coastal Maine is nice, but most of the properties seem to come with some hefty property taxes. Large parts of Washington County is depressed, so
if you have an income or retirement elsewhere, that might be an option.

Far northern Maine is always a good place. Most people call anything north of Bangor "northern Maine," when in actuality, Bangor is slightly south of the middle of the state.

But many people have never been further north, as it is rural and sparse up here. I-95 stops about 95 miles south of here, so we're talking lots of space and few people. A great plus for most, I think.

When Ken and I were first married, he wanted to move up here. I was adamantly against it because I thought shopping was too far away. But actually, Madawaska and Ft. Kent are full of places to buy things, though Macy's and Penneys aren't up here.

Plenty of small shops, Sears and hardware type stores, and grocery stores, though. The rest can be done online. For now, anyway.

If you're interested in talking to a Realtor, let me know, and I'll PM you the name of a trustworthy one -- she was our agent when we bought Petra (the land we're building on).
Old 03-06-2018, 07:53 PM

I am not really a homesteader, but I have a camp in northern Maine, in Aroostook County, near the Canadian border. I live in Millinocket.

Arghh... This is my second screwup since I've been back here. I see that I've already posted to this thread, several times. Sorry. We do still have the place in northern Maine, though.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:49 PM

we are't Homesteaders nor will we ever be self-sufficient but we're doing what we can at our advanced ages (59 and 74). We have a house in Somerset Cty as well as a few acres a bit farther out.

We moved out from Mass last year...just couldn't take it anymore. We still have kids in Mass and NY/NJ and it pains my soul to have to foray down there to visit. I do make the best of it and SHOP while i'm there, tho. :P