BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 10-15-2006, 09:03 PM

Default Greetings

I signed up here a long time ago. I just lost my Internet connection soon after and hadn't been back online until recently. So I still consider myself new.

I am married with two young children. I've been working two full time jobs for over 2 years now and have just now gotten debt-free except for my mortgage. Another 2 or 3 years at this pace and I'll have enough money to make the move to an independent homestead.

I'm hoping to get continue learning and get more ideas from both the Backwoodshome Magazine and from these forums.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:50 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: Greetings

Mang,

Dont quit dont back up---you are an inspiration---.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

annie

ps---''plain your name far me.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:38 AM
gypho

Welcome, mangyhyena! Good to have you!

gypho
Old 10-17-2006, 02:32 AM

So there I was, sitting at my computer signing up for AOL. It was the first computer I ever had and it was the first time I had ever been on the net. This was about 7 years ago. And it asks for my email and screen name.

I typed all the cool names I could think of; Whitewolf, blackwolf, eagle, panther, lion, winterlion, ect... Every last one of them was already in use and therefore not an option for me.

After 45 minutes of trying all the cool names and getting rejected, I tried a different approach. I thought and thought, looking for the one animal name no one, but no one would want. Laughing hyena was already taken, so I went one step further with this new tact and came out with a name that worked.

Apparently, out of all the millions of people on the net, no one wants to be a mangy hyena. Made me laugh then and I still get a chuckle out of it now and again.

So there it is. As it turns out it suites me. I'm a rather unconventional guy. I want to live where very few other people want to live; out in a desolate stretch of Wyoming. Instead of trying to make a better life for myself by clawing my way up the promotional ladder, I've decided to learn to live on less. I prepare for emergencies and hard times while so many others do not. I'll scavenge for what I need and try to fix it before I'll buy it new. From the POV of others around me in the rat race, I probably come off as a mangy, scavenging, hyena. And that's OK by me. ;D
Old 10-17-2006, 07:59 AM
Grand Master Pontificator

COOL!!!

Thanks---and you have the same idea so many here practice or strive for.

I too scravaged for what others throw away--built a water shed for my cistern---

Again welcome----annie
Old 10-18-2006, 12:37 PM

QUOTE:Thanks---and you have the same idea so many here practice or strive for. QUOTE:

Yes, I've noticed that about the folks here. It is really nice to meet like-minded people.

And I'm loving the magazine. Thanks for the nice welcome to your forum.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:41 PM
gypho

Loved that explanation....!!! ;D

gypho