BHM's Homesteading & Self-Reliance Forum

Posting requires Registration and the use of Cookies-enabled browser

Go Back   BHM Forum > Forum > Hellos & Happy Birthdays

Hellos & Happy Birthdays New members, please use this board to introduce yourselves. Been gone awhile? Let your friends here know you're back! Is it somone's birthday? Wish 'em a happy one!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Inactive Member

Default A quick hello from PA

Just joined and want to say "Hey"to all. Have 130 acres and very little money. I'll need a lot of help getting this place ready to live on. I hope someone can give me some pointers. ???
Old 12-15-2008, 12:56 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Default Re: A quick hello from PA

Welcome here!

I think you will find lots of members with good ideas for your place, but we'll need more info about your 130 acres to get started right -

Is it clear, or timbered? If it's got timber, is it big enough and the right type for building? Would you consider a log home or a cordwood home? Are you physically able to handle that kind of work? Is the timber (if there is any) a possible source of income? If you've got large hardwood trees, they can be worth thousands each to a veneer place! (This also requires that you're not too far from a veneer plant so that shipping doesn't eat up the gain.)

If you have cleared land, do you have any experience with growing things, or farming? There are cash crops that don't require too much acreage - but are labor intensive to one degree or another. Some might be genseng, echinacea, chamomile, & garden plants to re-sell. If you're near a city, you might consider "pick your own" - strawberries, blueberries, fruit, or a combination of the above. Even annual flowers in a "pick your own" area can be a good cash crop with little initial investment and relatively fast returns.

Have you got rocks on your land? Water? Ponds? Is it hilly or flat? Good soil or poor? These are all factors in how you'll finally use the land, as are the zoning restrictions in your area.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Grand Master Pontificator

Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:40 AM

Welcome aboard, I am sure you will find plenty of suggestions here to help.